The only time I tried the XM5 without the BUF634 was with the AD8397 board. Sorry I can't help.
Related Forum Threads
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Most powerful portable amp Last post on 10/5/13 at 7:54am in Portable Headphone Amps
- 300$ amp? Last post on 1/17/11 at 11:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best bass boost amp to use with S:flo2 and Westone UM3X Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:52am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help! problems with my XM5 Last post on 11/3/10 at 12:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
To start this off, i did not pay for my pair of 315. If i had payed for them the disappointment would be vast. I have a pair of SE215 and while they are not my favourite iem, they have their...
Disclaimer Firstly I just wanted to thank Simon and Adam at Pro-Ject for the review sample of the Head Box S USB. I am not affiliated with Pro-Ject in any way, all impressions are written as...
First and foremost, this is not an expert review. You may call it amateur if you please. But it's more of an owner appreciating his gear and sharing his thoughts and opinions about it. After...
First off, let me say now that I am not an audiophile. I am a fan of audiophiles though and I learn a lot from you guys. I'm more of a budget-audio-enthusiast and I'd like to keep it that way. Some...
Practical Devices XM5 - Page 27post #391 of 3975/25/10 at 6:38pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #392 of 39711/5/10 at 2:16ampost #393 of 3972/18/11 at 3:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Harvey/ GaQuote:Thought I's bump this since this forum is turning into the Ibasso forum. More people need to take a look at this amp, after buffers are installed and better opamps put in it competes well with anything out there. Add to it all the features it has and this will be the last portable amp most people will ever need.
Had mine for almost a year now and still use it daily. Great sounding amp
Hi, I have the 880's 250, with the 8065+buff634. It's a killer combo. You know the feeling when the music sounds so good you want to turn in up more, then a bit more, until you're listening at way more than normal. Yea, that's it. Bass is good, fairly tight. Miss and highs are very transparent. I recabled as well, that makes a bit of difference. Original cables are thin and there's only one neutral wire.post #394 of 39712/27/12 at 4:59pmpea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?post #395 of 39712/27/12 at 9:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY
pea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?I know nothing first hand about the MadDogs, but their ads say that the MD's will work with some of the Iphones, etc. The XM-5 has a bit more power then the XM-6 (per their website) and lots more then the Iphone, and there's several other power options available by rolling the chips.My original purchase was with the AD8397 chip. It produced great sound and volume with my AKG 240S phones. I wanted to try other chips, so I got the BUF634 buffer chips and 3 pair of other "front end" chips. The buffer chips produced a bit more volume.Give the XM-5 a try, possibly with the BUF634 and AD8065 chips. If you don't like them/doesn't work with the MadDogs, they'll take it back.post #396 of 39712/28/12 at 4:59amHey Harvey,
Glad to see the XM5 still getting some love. Have had mine for several years and just noticed the different chips they offer now.
Will open her up later today to see what chips I have in there. Been a long time but I think I went with BUF634 but can't remember the other one.
How's the AD8065 & AD8397 DC?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkpost #397 of 39712/30/12 at 8:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by MatthewK
Do you own one? What are your thoughts on it?
Anyone have recommendations for opamp rolling? It'll have the BUF634P chips installed when they come in the mail (sadly, it might take a few weeks). I'm considering the OPA627 and LME49710 opamps, maybe the AD8610. I'm not really interested in dual-channel opamps, I want to keep the monoblock configuration.
I've had mine for several years now, originally with the AD8397 chip. Tried the OP134's with the BUF634 buffers, and did not like as well. I rolled again. Presently have LM6171 chips and the BUF634. Also have the LME49710 chips., but can't remember if I tried them or not. The LM6171's have been installed for a few years now, so I probably liked them better then the LME's.
Been too long since I did some serious listening with it and different chips...I may make it a winter project
Maybe I'll get the AD8065 as well.
- Practical Devices XM5
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 11 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 33 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U and HPA-3B, review to follow! 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 3 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 4 minutes ago
- › Need help finding a pair of headphones for around 300$ 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by yfnt
- › Noble Audio Savant by Loquah
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by Arturs Travkins
- › Nouske NH-14 Hybrid 2-Way Balanced Armature + Dynamic Driver In-Ear... by Cotnijoe
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2