The only time I tried the XM5 without the BUF634 was with the AD8397 board. Sorry I can't help.
Related Forum Threads
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Most powerful portable amp Last post on 10/5/13 at 7:54am in Portable Headphone Amps
- 300$ amp? Last post on 1/17/11 at 11:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best bass boost amp to use with S:flo2 and Westone UM3X Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:52am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help! problems with my XM5 Last post on 11/3/10 at 12:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsLast edited: 11/22/12
Just some brief notes and impressions. Nice compact form. The little rubber cone feet are useless though and start wearing out. Surprisingly lightweight (the power supply is in the "wall wart"...
After starting to review a few IEM's in the past week I decided to slip these babies back into my ears as a reference point for the other IEM's. After doing so for a few minutes I realized these...
I am going to just stick with a written review for this little gem as others have already done an admirable job of photographing this IEM and all of it's accessories in all their glory. When my...
I was looking for an excellent universal IEM with multiple drivers to fit my portable listening needs. Ideally, I would have my beloved LCD-2's in a portable package. I have become addicted to the...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images PREAMBLE Brainwavz is a now well established manufacturer of headphones in the value for money...
Practical Devices XM5 - Page 27post #391 of 3975/25/10 at 6:38pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #392 of 39711/5/10 at 2:16ampost #393 of 3972/18/11 at 3:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Harvey/ GaQuote:Thought I's bump this since this forum is turning into the Ibasso forum. More people need to take a look at this amp, after buffers are installed and better opamps put in it competes well with anything out there. Add to it all the features it has and this will be the last portable amp most people will ever need.
Had mine for almost a year now and still use it daily. Great sounding amp
Hi, I have the 880's 250, with the 8065+buff634. It's a killer combo. You know the feeling when the music sounds so good you want to turn in up more, then a bit more, until you're listening at way more than normal. Yea, that's it. Bass is good, fairly tight. Miss and highs are very transparent. I recabled as well, that makes a bit of difference. Original cables are thin and there's only one neutral wire.post #394 of 39712/27/12 at 4:59pmpea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?post #395 of 39712/27/12 at 9:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY
pea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?I know nothing first hand about the MadDogs, but their ads say that the MD's will work with some of the Iphones, etc. The XM-5 has a bit more power then the XM-6 (per their website) and lots more then the Iphone, and there's several other power options available by rolling the chips.My original purchase was with the AD8397 chip. It produced great sound and volume with my AKG 240S phones. I wanted to try other chips, so I got the BUF634 buffer chips and 3 pair of other "front end" chips. The buffer chips produced a bit more volume.Give the XM-5 a try, possibly with the BUF634 and AD8065 chips. If you don't like them/doesn't work with the MadDogs, they'll take it back.post #396 of 39712/28/12 at 4:59amHey Harvey,
Glad to see the XM5 still getting some love. Have had mine for several years and just noticed the different chips they offer now.
Will open her up later today to see what chips I have in there. Been a long time but I think I went with BUF634 but can't remember the other one.
How's the AD8065 & AD8397 DC?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkpost #397 of 39712/30/12 at 8:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by MatthewK
Do you own one? What are your thoughts on it?
Anyone have recommendations for opamp rolling? It'll have the BUF634P chips installed when they come in the mail (sadly, it might take a few weeks). I'm considering the OPA627 and LME49710 opamps, maybe the AD8610. I'm not really interested in dual-channel opamps, I want to keep the monoblock configuration.
I've had mine for several years now, originally with the AD8397 chip. Tried the OP134's with the BUF634 buffers, and did not like as well. I rolled again. Presently have LM6171 chips and the BUF634. Also have the LME49710 chips., but can't remember if I tried them or not. The LM6171's have been installed for a few years now, so I probably liked them better then the LME's.
Been too long since I did some serious listening with it and different chips...I may make it a winter project
Maybe I'll get the AD8065 as well.
- Practical Devices XM5
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › HE-500 perfect condition less then 4 months old-update 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › PM-1 vs HE-6 ..... 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 4 minutes ago
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Brooko
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by twister6
- › beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphones by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)