The only time I tried the XM5 without the BUF634 was with the AD8397 board. Sorry I can't help.
Related Forum Threads
- Practical Devices XM6 features and a few queries Last post on 8/19/11 at 3:53pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Most powerful portable amp Last post on 5/2/13 at 3:28pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- 300$ amp? Last post on 1/17/11 at 11:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best bass boost amp to use with S:flo2 and Westone UM3X Last post on 12/6/10 at 6:52am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Help! problems with my XM5 Last post on 11/3/10 at 12:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- List Of Diy Headphone AmpsEdited on 11/22/12
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Practical Devices XM5 - Page 27post #391 of 3975/25/10 at 6:38pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #392 of 39711/5/10 at 2:16ampost #393 of 3972/18/11 at 3:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Harvey/ GaQuote:Thought I's bump this since this forum is turning into the Ibasso forum. More people need to take a look at this amp, after buffers are installed and better opamps put in it competes well with anything out there. Add to it all the features it has and this will be the last portable amp most people will ever need.
Had mine for almost a year now and still use it daily. Great sounding amp
Hi, I have the 880's 250, with the 8065+buff634. It's a killer combo. You know the feeling when the music sounds so good you want to turn in up more, then a bit more, until you're listening at way more than normal. Yea, that's it. Bass is good, fairly tight. Miss and highs are very transparent. I recabled as well, that makes a bit of difference. Original cables are thin and there's only one neutral wire.post #394 of 39712/27/12 at 4:59pmpea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?post #395 of 39712/27/12 at 9:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY
pea anyone know if this has enough power to do Mad Dogs justice? The MD thread lately has been swearing that theres no portable amp that does MD justice.
Excuse me for not reading Through this whole thread but with new buffer chips and opamp rolling, will this amp be a good pairing with MadDogs?I know nothing first hand about the MadDogs, but their ads say that the MD's will work with some of the Iphones, etc. The XM-5 has a bit more power then the XM-6 (per their website) and lots more then the Iphone, and there's several other power options available by rolling the chips.My original purchase was with the AD8397 chip. It produced great sound and volume with my AKG 240S phones. I wanted to try other chips, so I got the BUF634 buffer chips and 3 pair of other "front end" chips. The buffer chips produced a bit more volume.Give the XM-5 a try, possibly with the BUF634 and AD8065 chips. If you don't like them/doesn't work with the MadDogs, they'll take it back.post #396 of 39712/28/12 at 4:59amHey Harvey,
Glad to see the XM5 still getting some love. Have had mine for several years and just noticed the different chips they offer now.
Will open her up later today to see what chips I have in there. Been a long time but I think I went with BUF634 but can't remember the other one.
How's the AD8065 & AD8397 DC?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkpost #397 of 39712/30/12 at 8:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by MatthewK
Do you own one? What are your thoughts on it?
Anyone have recommendations for opamp rolling? It'll have the BUF634P chips installed when they come in the mail (sadly, it might take a few weeks). I'm considering the OPA627 and LME49710 opamps, maybe the AD8610. I'm not really interested in dual-channel opamps, I want to keep the monoblock configuration.
I've had mine for several years now, originally with the AD8397 chip. Tried the OP134's with the BUF634 buffers, and did not like as well. I rolled again. Presently have LM6171 chips and the BUF634. Also have the LME49710 chips., but can't remember if I tried them or not. The LM6171's have been installed for a few years now, so I probably liked them better then the LME's.
Been too long since I did some serious listening with it and different chips...I may make it a winter project
Maybe I'll get the AD8065 as well.
- Practical Devices XM5
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 43 seconds ago
- › VA / MD / DC meet - Saturday, May 25, 2013 57 seconds ago
- › Heir Audio - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X3 Thread. Full review:... 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review 3 minutes ago
- › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced... 4 minutes ago
- › KSC-75 vibrations/distortions 4 minutes ago
- › Official Los Angeles Regional Summer Meet - Saturday, July 20, 2013... 4 minutes ago
- › Ifi iLink USB converter 5 minutes ago
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe