Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › REVIEW: Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP vs. D1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP vs. D1 - Page 3

post #31 of 133
Wow, the petite is looking like a darn good buy....too bad though about its inability to drive higher impedance phones. Had it been able to PROPERLY (not just loudly) drive my 250 ohm dt 880s, i would buy it in a heartbeat!
post #32 of 133

GoVibe7 vs Petite impressions

This is going to be pretty interesting, I think. The reason of that is the fact that these two amps are pretty good in their own way, so to make a choice is pretty much depending on you taste, but not just taste, also how picky you are with some differences.

My impressions based on the following set up. Have used through LOD adapter with no EQ at all, pure amp sound.

Phones: Koss KSC75

Source: iAudio X5L FLACs, HQ MP3.

Mini-mini: Wyvern Audio-Cyprium One

LOD adapter

GoVibe7 & Petite USB/DAC


GoVibe7

HIGHS - Slightly on the bright side and not enough controlled, some extra TSSS appears with voices and a bit picky with trumpets and guitar solo's with rock records. All this because of crystal clear mini-mini I have and KSC75, which are bright by their nature. When another, cheap mini, been used, sound becomes warmer, but less detailed. Than again, still on the bright side.

MIDS - Their body isn't 100% full and having little, kind of flat/neutral punch, but more than enough for bass heavy phones, like K81. Also found them not clear enough to catch every string movement.

BASS - Good value of bass here, no worries, enough to kick your brains out. However they do miss a little support from mids, imo. It is not easy to separate them in general.

SOUNDSTAGE - Because of his airiness, less focused sound you get the nice soundstage feeling. Especially with good records, where the wildness of stage is a big part of it, like live open field concerts.

Overall sound impressions - I like it. For his airiness, freshness and pretty neutral sound. I think that he have a pretty linear sound sig. And because of that his punch isn't that present and didn't explore enough clearness. He deliver good detail and soundstage, even with pretty upfront sound. And when plaid loud, can become less focused, which creates unpleasant loudness.



PETITE

HIGHS - Better controlled and clearly less TSSS effect, but still slightly appears. They are sweeter and pronounced, which is great with JAZZ. I think when used with other phones and mini cable, then you would not get such effect at all.

MIDS - Definitely fuller, but still on the neutral side and not really warm, just punchier. They support BASS very well and tight.

BASS - Oh yeah, mamma mia. Just amazingly controlled, tight, clear and absolutely not bloated. You hear the string movement which makes you really think, how the hell it is possible, from such small guy called Petite, good job.

SOUNDSTAGE - Petite have less airy, still kind of wide, but more focused sound. His depth is the thing, I think, which isn't directly an soundstage, but more gathering the signals together in one point, while you can follow this happening. I do not know how to tell better, sorry, kind of strange feeling.

Overall sound impressions: Very good and solid sound sig. First thing noticeable is his control through the whole sound spectrum. Second his punchy impact, man, he kicks very good. Guitars are more present, fuller and real. Details much clear and get your attention in better way. Mids and bass more focused, which translates in great punchy sound. Drums are great with this guy, just tight and never bloated. The sound is not flat and not linear as V7. He also have one step back sound sig, not that upfront which V7 have. Because of better depth you can push this guy to the limit without getting any distracting in the sound. I love it with almost every music genres, with JAZZ as the best.

Conclusion

Both V7 and Petite are very good amps, but if you look at the size, where Petite is double less than V7, you may choose Petite above. However the build quality are pretty good on both amps, I do like Petite more. His is very cute, but still sturdy and solid, while V7 looks and feels a bit bulky. On the other hand, the space between the input/output jacks are pretty tight on Petite and can be an issue with some connectors/cables, I guess. GoVibe7 do not have such problem and you can plug anything you want in it.
As last I do believe that you have to try both to hear which one is the best fit in your rig and liking, cos different phones, cables etc would make a huge influence on delivered results. That's why I am not selling non of them and will see what will happened when I have better portables around.

THX
post #33 of 133
Thread Starter 
Judging from looking at the Predator's size compared to a TH...it seems to have the same front plate as the Predator...slightly smaller than a TH, with the jack closer to the volume pot....interesting to say the least eh?
post #34 of 133

Petite as DAC

Little update.

Set up

ASUS Z83S serie no EQ> stock usb cable>Petite>KSC75. Only orig.CDs been used, like Marcus Miller, Robert Plant, Iron Maiden, Metallica...

The first thing hits you, damn thats not the amp I just heard using with DOC adapter>mini>iAudio.
Definitely warmer presentation, tuby kind of. The whole sound is just fuller, smoother with velvety covering through all of it. Highs, or man, they are sooo sweet and just right, amazing. And where are the punchy mids? The amp become more linear than panchy beast Well, his punch is there, but only in different way. What I hear is the much fuller, smoother mids that still punchy,but not in sharp way. This is amazing, truly is, I listen to an tube amp here, period.
Unfortuntely tube rolling isnt possible, but who cares, I LOVE IT A LOT!
I have to say, you will mis some detail, but than again, who cares this amp is great, imo. However using more HQ usb cable would make a difference, I think.
Thats all

ps Listen to Metallica Master of Puppets right now, cheezzz, what happened with KSC75? Are they become Grado's, wow...
post #35 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Little update.

Set up

ASUS Z83S serie no EQ> stock usb cable>Petite>KSC75. Only orig.CDs been used, like Marcus Miller, Robert Plant, Iron Maiden, Metallica...

The first thing hits you, damn thats not the amp I just heard using with DOC adapter>mini>iAudio.
Definitely warmer presentation, tuby kind of. The whole sound is just fuller, smoother with velvety covering through all of it. Highs, or man, they are sooo sweet and just right, amazing. And where are the punchy mids? The amp become more linear than panchy beast Well, his punch is there, but only in different way. What I hear is the much fuller, smoother mids that still punchy,but not in sharp way. This is amazing, truly is, I listen to an tube amp here, period.
I am getting more V7 feeling but with very tuby sound, while V7 is pretty neutral one.
Unfortuntely tube rolling isnt possible, but who cares, I LOVE IT A LOT!
I have to say, you will mis some detail, but than again, who cares this amp is great, imo. However using more HQ usb cable would make a difference, I think.
Thats all

ps Listen to Metallica Master of Puppets right now, cheezzz, what happened with KSC75? Are they become Grado's, wow...
Yup, Petite as amp is very very nice... but as DAC, Awesome... Punchy yet silky smooth... Musical heaven. It goes very well with MS-1, Ksc75, ATH-SQ-5 and the mylarones X3 and X3i. Even the rather bass-shy and sometimes anaemic OVC T10 sounds good with it.

I was thinking of getting better usb cable (damn the head-fi sickness at work again)... but wonder will it make any difference at all?

LOL. Pure silver usb anyone? Maybe the cable makers will start making audiophile usb cables now that DACs and Amp-DACs are the rage.
post #36 of 133
As the signals going over the USB cable are digital, there will be no sound improvement with a better cable.
post #37 of 133

Waiting Hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Little update.
Cheers, Dude.

How many hours do you have on it now? I have the GVP on order (22/01/08) from Jaben. Can't wait. How long was shipping to Holland?

I'm really looking forward to running this out of my laptop into my DR150 and Livewires.
post #38 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
As the signals going over the USB cable are digital, there will be no sound improvement with a better cable.
There maybe some USB cable snake oils too, such as gold plated ones making the bass more punchy?
post #39 of 133
Not much at all. I found him already good sounding, right out of box.

Shipping would take 6-10 days, something like that.

When I bought V7 I asked Norm about burn in time, but he told me that he do not believe in it. Me, dont care that much, I think. If the sound will improve, well, thats only good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaghan View Post
Cheers, Dude.

How many hours do you have on it now? I have the GVP on order (22/01/08) from Jaben. Can't wait. How long was shipping to Holland?

I'm really looking forward to running this out of my laptop into my DR150 and Livewires.
post #40 of 133
Thread Starter 
Burn-in was minimal...I wouldn't stress burn-in. The sound doesn't change drastically like other amps do, so what you hear out of the box,for the most part, is what you get. The bass tames down a smidge though...
post #41 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn View Post
Burn-in was minimal...
That's great news. I read the update to your amp thread, it sounds very promising. I was gonna hang on for the D2 and took a look at the Lyrix, XM5 and Leckerton but the 4xAAA in the Go-Vibe and the very positive early reviews swung it for me. I've now read comments regarding synergy with all my cans and it looks like Jaben is dishing up another giant-killer.

Couple o' probably, silly questions:

How do you switch between hi - lo output?
Can you hazard a guess at the life-expectancy of such a device?
post #42 of 133
Thread Starter 
There are little jumpers when you open the case up that allow you to switch the gain modes. Really easy and straight forward.

As far as battery life, I saw 5 consecutive days (didn't turn her off for 5 days)days on 850mah AAA rechargeable batteries at about 1/3 volume in high gain which is really only rated at 75hrs with those batteries. You're supposed to see over 100 if you use alkalines, but I suspect I will see right at or over 200 if using alkalines, and near double that if the gain is lowered.
post #43 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn View Post
Judging from looking at the Predator's size compared to a TH...it seems to have the same front plate as the Predator...slightly smaller than a TH, with the jack closer to the volume pot....interesting to say the least eh?


Something about it screams ripoff to me.I really beleive you get what you pay for.You say its a better amp then the Tomahawk ? I would like to hear other opinions on the comparison of this product,and Rays portable stuff.
post #44 of 133
Thread Starter 
Rip off? The Go Vibe? Well...it doesn't really matter as everything in audio is ripped of something else. Some manufacturers are more known to do so than others(not Jaben), even if it is kept on the DL...I'll leave it at that.

But do I believe it stomps the TH? Sure does, without a doubt, and by a fair margin as well. Check my review thread (link in sig) as I updated it with SQ ONLY rankings.....
post #45 of 133

Using Petite DAC with GS1000

Thought put this here as well. Something different than KSC75 expiriance. I do not hear that warm, full body, velvet kind of sound sig anymore. Just typical GS1000 sig. O.k. here we go.

Using with JAZZ and ACCOUSTIC isnt issue, however I do mis full mids, I would say not enough body in the sound. But detail, clarity and musicality are there. I can compair Petite with Grado RA1 up here, the same sound reproduction level. Everything is there, but not enough body with flat, kind of distaned punch. Rosenberg Trio are great with it. I hear every string movement and the guitars sound real and live, supper.
Diana's Krall Boulevard of Broke Dreams is very good to, oh man, this amp holds up to the top. I here every single thing from the record and the piano, wow, sounds like piano, cristal and clear. Can not say that Diana's voice is velvety smooth up here, but fairy enough do not call it cold or dull.
The next CD Joona Toivanen Trio "FROST" And again, piano, bass, ah just everything sounds so clear and right, amazing. The amount of detail and the reality of the instrument sound is freaking scary. I am done here, sorry...

Using with ROCK is an typical issue, not enough mids to push them to the level, highs are arent controled anymore and the punch way to soft with some distance. I would choose KSC75 over GS1k here, no probs at all.

Will updat this later, cos my laptop is making me sick at the moment.

O.k. here we go again, TRANCE

Tracks: Paul van Dyk FOR AN ANGEL, Marco V SIMULATED, Filterheadz YIMANYA, Ralphie B MASSIVE, Rank 1 AIRWAVE, Human Evolution HUMAN EVOLUTION.

What can I say? I love it a lot, yes, but than again I was missing a mids a bit, just a bit o.k., and the highs could be a bit to extended, not realy painfull, but not such pleasant as they could be, depends on track. The nature of such records are bass heavy one and nothing bloated up here, nothing at all, period. The bass is tight, punchy and never all over the rest of the sound, simply great. Another thing to mention that reproduction of deepness and airness was at the high level. You are there with the music, floating, kind of lost in the space, very nice feeling.

The bottom line is that Petite DAC have a very nice synergy with GRADO GS1000. I didnt use any EQ and only original CD's been played. I can only imagine how good other Grado's would sound with it. There for we need more people who buys Petite, cos he is worthy little monster, imo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › REVIEW: Go Vibe Petite DAC/AMP vs. D1