Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HeAudio 1.3, 1.2B and the new JADE Stat Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HeAudio 1.3, 1.2B and the new JADE Stat Headphones - Page 166

post #2476 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I'm on a quest to find the right amp that can drive a 2.5 - 4 ohm load, but the Super Box isn't here yet, so it is moot point.
Thats an easy one Larry, find yourself an Pass Aleph 3 or 30. Pretty much stable to a dead short.(0 ohms) Pure Class A goodness and it can double as a room heater and/or a stove.
post #2477 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
Good job and some new info.
Can you clarify? The "stock PVC" and "Stax-wide" is the cable between what and what? Between transformer box and Jade or between amp and transformer? (Your Jade has stock cables or?)

Also, I want to do the direct speaker/transformer mod, so could you post a big photo of the other side of SRD7 (I have the Pro) and which wires need to be moved to where, as to presumably bypass the selector switch and circuit board?

TIA!

"stock PVC" and "stax-wide" are headphone cable options on my modded set, between the box and the... errrr, earcups.



anyway, in this box (and a non-SB box which plugs into the wall): for direct speaker cable/transformer connections, check out where the black/white braids connect to, in the SRD7 transformer picture. Nothing from the transformer's primary side is connected to the board, braids are going between terminal posts and the transformers. The front selector switch is therefore no longer useful so a 5-pin XLR is installed in that spot (this is Larry's box).

transformer primary wires: yellow = +; black= -;
front (closer to the phone jacks) transformer = L
post #2478 of 2670
I've gone from the 1.2B to the Jade and am happy so far.
post #2479 of 2670
I don't recall seeing many "new" purchasers in the past 2 or 3 months. Maybe we should get a roll-call?
post #2480 of 2670
I am wondering if I may ask, what is the load of my stock STAX adaptator Illusion ESC-1001, if anyone knows ¿?

Is the load influenced by the headphones plugged at the moment.

I never thought before of this issue with impedance for the speaker amp...

Thanks
post #2481 of 2670
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I don't recall seeing many "new" purchasers in the past 2 or 3 months. Maybe we should get a roll-call?
i don't think the jade has done too well. early production problems probably did not help either.
post #2482 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu144 View Post
I am wondering if I may ask, what is the load of my stock STAX adaptator Illusion ESC-1001, if anyone knows ¿?

Is the load influenced by the headphones plugged at the moment.

I never thought before of this issue with impedance for the speaker amp...

Thanks
It's probably 8ohm nominal but the load of the phones does affect what the amp "sees" and that changes with frequency.
post #2483 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcoheda View Post
i don't think the jade has done too well. early production problems probably did not help either.
Well, I'm still very pleased with the sound of my pair of Jade, enough that I was able to sell my Lambda Signature and ESP950 (but not my O2 or HE60).
post #2484 of 2670
I guess all high-end phones are not doing well at the moment. and the price on pro-bias Stax box is getting a bit too high now, I supposed that is not helping the J's either, considering the SRD's are probably the cheapest way to drive the J's well.

There are still many improvements need to be done to the J though, like an adjustable head-band and better cabling, user-replaceable padds, and maybe even a transformer-box/headphone-stand combo.
post #2485 of 2670
Yeah, they should be offering their own economical transformer or amp to run the Jade, but it would have to be better than the Koss E/90 or Senn HEV70.
post #2486 of 2670
I really think a transformer-box/headphone-stand combo can boost the sales quite a bit. I am talking about a tall wooden transformer box, doubling the function as a J-spec headphone stand.

The J's wooden box is done quite nicely, so there shouldn't be any problem for HeAudio to source a good looking headphone stand/enclosure . Transformer wise, something common like Hammond output trans will work for now, and it can later be upgraded to Lundahl's when the economy warms back up (though they will need to leave enough room in the enclosure design for that upgrade possibility).


Or maybe they should use the Lundahl's right from the beginning?
post #2487 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
It's probably 8ohm nominal but the load of the phones does affect what the amp "sees" and that changes with frequency.
Thanks Spritzer,

So that would be quite similar to a regular 8 ohm speaker (changes with frequency), and should be an relatively easy load for the amp.
post #2488 of 2670
Well, no. The midrange is relatively benign but the frequency extremes are more challenging. The transformer is fixed at some ratio (1:25-1:30) so when the impedance drops or skyrockets that change is tranferred over to the amp. That's why you see speakers like Quad or Martin-Logan quoted as 8ohm nominal when they are far from it. The Quads go down to less then 2ohm and up 40ohm and the same can be said about Martin-Logan's though some go even lower then that (around 1ohm). This has a direct bearing on how the transducers sound since impedance, voltage and current are all intertwined so when the impedance drops the current has to go up to maintain a stable voltage level.
post #2489 of 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Well, no. The midrange is relatively benign but the frequency extremes are more challenging. The transformer is fixed at some ratio (1:25-1:30) so when the impedance drops or skyrockets that change is tranferred over to the amp. That's why you see speakers like Quad or Martin-Logan quoted as 8ohm nominal when they are far from it. The Quads go down to less then 2ohm and up 40ohm and the same can be said about Martin-Logan's though some go even lower then that (around 1ohm). This has a direct bearing on how the transducers sound since impedance, voltage and current are all intertwined so when the impedance drops the current has to go up to maintain a stable voltage level.
The mighty Mark Levinson ML-2 mono block rated at 25W into 8 Ohms would output an incredible 800W into 0,5 Ohms and I had to use two of them bridged to drive each of my Acoustat 2+2's that were made to "behave well" through their medallion twin transformers.

....I am beginning to think that this is the problem the BHSE is trying to solve when attempting to drive the O2 to its full potential...

...But if you see the waterfront house that the money from the sale of that rig bought me... you may have second thoughts ....


here are the Google Earth coordinates

Latitude 40° 4'41.24"N
Longitude 23°26'55.31"E
post #2490 of 2670
That's exactly what the BHSE is facing and believe me, all those heatsinks are needed. I'm listening to my supercharged "Egmont" (same circuit but it's not like Rudi invented it) now and it falls on its ass while trying to push the SR-007 drivers (in a SR-Omega chassis).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › HeAudio 1.3, 1.2B and the new JADE Stat Headphones