New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBook Air - Page 2

post #16 of 414
pretty impractical in some ways... 1 USB2 port? No ethernet jacks? non-user-replaceable battery? But the multi-touch touchpad is cool.

more USB ports would be better, as one would have to bring around a USB hub all the time to compensate... and at least an ethernet jack; transferring huge files to this thing would take ages. also the lack of expandability is terrible. Even the smallest Sony laptops give access to memory and mini-PCI slots AND have expresscard, PCMCIA, and card readers built in. This would equal the size of other notebooks if you count the accessories you would need to bring in order to match their features.
post #17 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n9m4n View Post
pretty impractical in some ways... 1 USB2 port? No ethernet jacks? non-user-replaceable battery? But the multi-touch touchpad is cool.

more USB ports would be better, as one would have to bring around a USB hub all the time to compensate... and at least an ethernet jack; transferring huge files to this thing would take ages
I think too many people are not understanding the purpose of an ultra-portable computer. This beautiful work of art isn't meant to be a desktop replacement --- it's meant to maximize *practical* usability on the road.

We have desktops and desktop replacements for people who need to connect zillions of peripherals and transfer files at great rates of speed and do disk-intensive tasks.

Due to MacBook death I just bought an iMac as my main machine, but I bet I'll be getting one of these as soon as the iMac is paid off. I spend every other week away from home in the field and traveling for my job, and the MacBook was always a little more than I needed size and feature wise on those trips. With my trusty passport drive and an Air, I can do anything I need to do on the road without the added bulk or weight.

--Chris

P.S. I will be investing in insurance and a waterproof bag for the Air when it comes. I couldn't afford to drown another computer with Diet Pepsi.
post #18 of 414
I was hoping that the Macbook Air was my answer for a nice high school graduation gift, but after the hype has settled, I'm probably going with a Dell XPS...besides, I need a lot of hard drive space if I plan to store all my music on it and have the Pico nearby!

[Gizmodo] Is Macbook Air Worth the money?]
[Gizmodo] Is Macbook Air Worth the money? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
post #19 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
thank goodness...os x deserves better than a pc
Now that Macs have Core 2 Duo's they're pretty much PC's with a glossy case and a high pricetag aren't they?
post #20 of 414
This will be popular at caf├ęs where flashy web designers and other people like that want to show off... for practical uses, not very interesting I think. How much trouble would it be, and how much space would it take, to at least add another USB, a firewire and a ethernet jack? This is a bit typical for Apple, form over function (like their mouses). A small MacBook Pro would be a lot more interesting.
post #21 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempcamp View Post
I think too many people are not understanding the purpose of an ultra-portable computer. This beautiful work of art isn't meant to be a desktop replacement --- it's meant to maximize *practical* usability on the road.

We have desktops and desktop replacements for people who need to connect zillions of peripherals and transfer files at great rates of speed and do disk-intensive tasks.
This is a buisness laptop contender though... If you want something small for basic tasks, an EEE PC is fine ($1500-$1400 cheaper!). As a full blown mac, it should not have sacrificed that much just for portability. A vaio at this asking price is only one pound heavier and better in all aspects. It's impractical to be missing so many things.
post #22 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
hey wodgy, thanks for the link. the more i think about the MBA the more i both love it and realize it doesn't suit my needs. i will be getting a new laptop soon but it looks like a newer macbook may be in the cards (mine is a slow first gen core duo)
my gf has a mac core duo 1g and it or any pc controlled by a core duo is not slow at all. what are you talking about mate? hers still boots up in around 30 sec and runs anything she needs. i understand if you are a gamer or do video encoding for a living, but that processor is not two years old. sorry, im flabbergasted!

Final * i was quite upset that there is no inclusion of firewire ports. even just a fw 400 would be good enough on top of the one usb. if i use it portably, i don't really need a usb unless maybe i use that dvd burner but... not having access to hd on my office for a few files here and there is quite frustrating. i think it is nice and it is nice to see a computer manufacturer (apple) to do this! i cannot wait for rev B or C of this if it lasts - that will be my portable then. forget this massive macbook pro!
post #23 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempcamp View Post
I think too many people are not understanding the purpose of an ultra-portable computer. This beautiful work of art isn't meant to be a desktop replacement --- it's meant to maximize *practical* usability on the road.
The MBA is not ultraportable. The Asus Eee is. I was hoping for Apple to do something in that space. Instead, they gave something that is, well, just very thin. You're basically paying $500 more for a thin version of the MacBook, but with less power, and less connectivity.
post #24 of 414



Hey, guys! We have a new friend!


Yay!!!!!
post #25 of 414
It sure is!
I am anxiously waiting for it to appear at any of the local Apple dealers. Cause I want to take a close look in person.
post #26 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
hey wodgy, thanks for the link. the more i think about the MBA the more i both love it and realize it doesn't suit my needs. i will be getting a new laptop soon but it looks like a newer macbook may be in the cards (mine is a slow first gen core duo)
Slow first gen Core Duo?? I have a 2.16ghz Core Duo MacBook Pro and it's still plenty fast, even at 18 months old. After I installed Leopard it got faster! Not sure what you do with your comp, but the Core Duo is definitely not slow.
post #27 of 414
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the MBA already been done? ( Toshiba Portege R500 )

solid state HD option, similar performance, height (.76in), etc.

upon quick inspection, these look awfully similar. Plus, the Toshiba came out awhile ago.
post #28 of 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman64 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the MBA already been done? ( Toshiba Portege R500 )

solid state HD option, similar performance, height (.76in), etc.

upon quick inspection, these look awfully similar. Plus, the Toshiba came out awhile ago.
That's over 1" thick at the thickest point, a much slower cpu, smaller screen, has optical drive installed, etc. Similar, but not the same. And similarly priced.
post #29 of 414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraseyboy View Post
Now that Macs have Core 2 Duo's they're pretty much PC's with a glossy case and a high pricetag aren't they?
Bingo. X86 architecture baby....
post #30 of 414
Pricetag's not particularly high compared to other comparable manufacturers, and the apple has the advantage of coming with macos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home