Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Cursing in church: circumaural with similar sound signature to ATH-ES7?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cursing in church: circumaural with similar sound signature to ATH-ES7?

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
I know some people are going to want to burn me at the stake for this, but I have come to the conclusion that I really, really like the sound signature of the ATH-ES7. I have seen them described as having snarly mids, closed phone honk, and artificial unnatural sounding mids , but I just can't help really enjoying them.

In fact I am enjoying them so much I have been wondering if there is a full size circumaural headphone that has a similar sound signature, especially when it comes to the mids, though I must say I also like the way the highs, mids and lows are balanced on the ES7. The reason for this is that I have a strong suspicion that I may prefer a full size headphone with such a sound signature taken up one level in refinement to any of the phones I currently own or have heard.

So everyone, go ahead, call me a deaf idiot completely devoid of good taste and then tell where I can find one.
post #2 of 57
So, reading all this I am more confused than ever, sorry...Why? Well, when you say that some says not balanced, while you found them true balanced in all areas.
Tell us, which other phones did you compare with them to make such conclusion please. I am interested in Koss KSC75, which are also in your sig, lets starts from there. And how about the comfort, another ES7 issue?
And the last, but not least, they are like EUR 149 up here in Holland, so do you really think that you can not do better for such money?

THX


Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I have seen them described as having snarly mids, closed phone honk, and artificial unnatural sounding mids , but I just can't help really enjoying them.

In fact I am enjoying them so much I have been wondering if there is a full size circumaural headphone that has a similar sound signature, especially when it comes to the mids, though I must say I also like the way the highs, mids and lows are balanced on the ES7.
post #3 of 57
The AD2000, of course.
post #4 of 57
Asr: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/pe...-count-285029/

Agnostic: Your first bet would be to try out the ATH-M50, it's distributed worldwide and im sure you can easily audition it at a store near to you. I wouldnt recommend the A900 because it drifts away a little too much from the ES7 signature, the M50 is a bit more upfront like the ES7. The AD2000 is a completely different headphone soundsignature wise.
post #5 of 57
Thread Starter 
I guess what I am saying is, that even though I know they are not neutral or accurate sounding, and as such are not HIFI I really like their sound. Also I am aware that some people really dislike exactly what I like about them: coloration of the mids.

I have compared them to all the headphones in my sig though only from casual listening, haven't done a analytical side by side.

So here goes my list of complaints about my top cans: (relative that is, these are all really good cans):

Stax SR-Lambda:
Too much treble; to the point where I feel the highs are overpowering the mids. Very detailed but little bass. The fact that they are so detailed makes me miss the bass even more because with something sounding in some ways so realistic, the lack of bass becomes even more noticeable, I expect to hear bass but I don't...(or rather I expect a certain level of bass and I don't). Because of this sometimes listening to them can be slightly frustrating.

Micro Seiki:
Similar problem to the Lambda though less so. They are a bit bellow Lambda in detail but better than Lambda in balance of highs mids and lows.

HD580:
Enjoyable to listen to, soundstage, highs and the quality of decay are great but the mids don't really sing to me. Maybe they are just a tad too laid back.

DT990:
The ones I have are the classic model. Generally sound nice. Not far behind hd580 but lack bass impact. As I have heard some people say: it's like the bass is too airy, you hear it but you don't really feel it.

ATH-ES7:
The good:
I just love the sound of those mids! I know they don't sound neutral, there is some kind of euphonic coloration going on, but man, that's some really nice color!! Balance between mids, highs and lows is really good. They sound forward but in no way aggressive or harsh. The emphasis is on the mids (human voice, guitar) where I like it. highs and lows are supporting the center stage mids in a pleasant way that does not distract from them or drown mid detail in painful treble peaks or overpowering bass. I guess what I like most about them is that they make the human voice sound so good! No harshness, graininess and no trace sibilance to be found.

What could be better:
Highs: decay and detail of highs could be a bit better. They are a bit rolled off. Highs are clearly better on HD580 the STAX and the Micro Seiki.
Bass: could extend just a little deeper and have a tad more detail in bass. I don't mind the slight mid bass hump because it doesn't overpower the mids and ads a civilized sense of bass impact.
Soundstage: Could be better. There is only so much you can do with a portable closed can. That having been said the soundstage on them does not disturb me in any way. In as far as it's there it sounds pleasant.
Comfort: could be better. If I don't have them on exactly the right way they will start hurting on top of my head.

Let the flaming start!
post #6 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkid View Post
Asr: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/pe...-count-285029/

Agnostic: Your first bet would be to try out the ATH-M50, it's distributed worldwide and im sure you can easily audition it at a store near to you. I wouldnt recommend the A900 because it drifts away a little too much from the ES7 signature, the M50 is a bit more upfront like the ES7. The AD2000 is a completely different headphone soundsignature wise.
Thx, I'll check if I can give those a listen somewhere.
post #7 of 57
@Agnostic, I agree 100% with you, I LOVE the ES7 too! I also tried to find a full sized can that sound like them. No luck yet.

Well, I went down the route of the Darths thinking that they'd sound similar. As nice as the Darth are, they are NOT the same as th ES7.

I can also tell you what other headphones do NOT sound like the ES7, so you can save some time.
They are:
K701
K501
'05 DT990
'03 DT880
HD580 with HD600 grills

'05 DT880 comes close, has nice sparkly highs and better bass, but still lacks in the mid range where the ES7 is soo magical.

Well, like you, I'm still searching. The ESW9 might do the trick but problem is that its also supra aural, we're gonna find the same comfort issues on that one too.

Maybe the AD2000? :???:
post #8 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche View Post
@Agnostic, I agree 100% with you, I LOVE the ES7 too! I also tried to find a full sized can that sound like them. No luck yet.

Well, I went down the route of the Darths thinking that they'd sound similar. As nice as the Darth are, they are NOT the same as th ES7.

I can also tell you what other headphones do NOT sound like the ES7, so you can save some time.
They are:
K701
K501
'05 DT990
'03 DT880
HD580 with HD600 grills

'05 DT880 comes close, has nice sparkly highs and better bass, but still lacks in the mid range where the ES7 is soo magical.

Well, like you, I'm still searching. The ESW9 might do the trick but problem is that its also supra aural, we're gonna find the same comfort issues on that one too.

Maybe the AD2000? :???:
He he, a kindred soul
Good to know I haven't gone mad, or at least if I have I'm not the only one.
Thanks for the advice; this is really useful! Now we just have to see if there is one among the ones you haven't already crossed off the list...
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic
Good to know I haven't gone mad, or at least if I have I'm not the only one.
I think its the latter, we're both mad I suppose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic
Thanks for the advice; this is really useful! Now we just have to see if there is one among the ones you haven't already crossed off the list...
Your welcome.
Now there is still a whole lotta phones to be tried out.... UE9, HD650, D5000, DX1000, AD2k?

From what I've heard, the JVC DX100 has honky mids? Maybe its what we're both looking for? Too bad its soo expensive, I can't afford those; just a poor student here. Care to take one for the team?

Anyhow, please shoot me a PM if you somehow manage to find a full sized headphone that sounds like an ES7 k?
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkid View Post
Asr: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/pe...-count-285029/

Agnostic: Your first bet would be to try out the ATH-M50, it's distributed worldwide and im sure you can easily audition it at a store near to you. I wouldnt recommend the A900 because it drifts away a little too much from the ES7 signature, the M50 is a bit more upfront like the ES7. The AD2000 is a completely different headphone soundsignature wise.
People who don't specialize in debate don't write multi-page papers when the answer to the question is simple. Multi-page discussion of the answer usually implies the person not knowing the answer.

Also, out of the entire AT line AD2000 might be the best bet. While it is darker, it certainly shares the AT sig, including the midrange balance that is present on EVERY SINGLE AT, and the midbass boost ES-7 is notorious for. Not the same sound, more refined, but more or less in the same direction.
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche View Post
Now there is still a whole lotta phones to be tried out.... UE9, HD650, D5000, DX1000, AD2k?
Yep, these babies are addictively fun sounding. Wish AT make their big brother someday.
Meanwhile you can take out of your candidate list:
W5000,
HD650,
D2000,
DT880,
K271S,
PL750,
HFI650,
DT250
And good luck on your quest.
post #12 of 57
Hmm, I bought my ES7 today

I compared them at the headphone store in Perth with the AD900 and they sounded quite similar. The bass was not as impactful as the ES7 but was much clearer on the AD900s, the highs and mids to me sounded very similar with the exeption of the AD900s being clearer again

Hope this helps you out a bit.
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eversuns
Hmm, I bought my ES7 today
Congrats, give 'em a few months of good usage and then weep because they are soo awesome after burn in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eversuns
The bass was not as impactful as the ES7 but was much clearer on the AD900s
Hmmm... bad and good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eversuns
the highs and mids to me sounded very similar with the exeption of the AD900s being clearer again
That is really good, exactly what I'm looking for. But then again, the a well burnt in ES7 really improves from its initial condition. Burn in is really noticeable on the ES7.... was the ES7 that you tried in the store a well burnt in demo unit?

So, what made u pick the ES7 over the AD900?

===============================================

Thanks for all the info eversuns and Andrew_WOT.

-------------------------------------------------------------


This is starting to point in the direction of AD2000.....
@Agnostic, try to get your hands on an AD2k, then post your impressions here.

post #14 of 57
No problems

I have no idea how burnt in the ES7's I used but my new ones sound pretty similar so I am going to guess they weren't that old

Well my reasons for picking the ES7's over the AD900s where purely because I needed a set of closed portables to replace my super fi 3s and my birthday is coming up and my parents are getting me some AD900s at the end of the month for music/pc use

I am really loving the ES7s! Any one got links to the ES7 modding thread?
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloS View Post
People who don't specialize in debate don't write multi-page papers when the answer to the question is simple. Multi-page discussion of the answer usually implies the person not knowing the answer.

Also, out of the entire AT line AD2000 might be the best bet. While it is darker, it certainly shares the AT sig, including the midrange balance that is present on EVERY SINGLE AT, and the midbass boost ES-7 is notorious for. Not the same sound, more refined, but more or less in the same direction.
You're wrong, simple as that. The AD2000 is completely different compared to the ES7 and there is NO midrange balance thats present on all AT cans, big myth. If there is i'd really like to know which midrange balance the AD2000, L3000, W5000 and A900 for example share, i just dont hear it having owned all those for months, not in the midrange. And besides that the AD2000 is the most NOT AT-like headphone sharing almost no similarites to the closed ones. Stop bs'ing around.

May i suggest:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/st...arning-270280/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Cursing in church: circumaural with similar sound signature to ATH-ES7?