I recently picked up a pair of DT-770s, and while I really like them, I couldn't stand the cable. It sounded ok, but the coil was too tight and short, so it was kind of a PIA when moving around.
I ordered some of the Belden 8412 that Jan Meyer recommeded on his site, but found it a bit too stiff and heavy, even though it does seem like a very nice cable.
I next tried some Canare L-4E6S. It's a bit smaller than the Belden, but much more flexible.
I picked up a Neutrik NP3C-BAG stereo 1/4" plug since it seemed to have enough room within the plug barrel for the cables. They don't seem to have a gold-plated version, but it still worked out very well.
The next thing I decided to do was go with two separate cables, one to each earpiece. The stock cable on the DT-770 is a separated design, with four conductors. Two stay in the left earpiece, the other two attach to a small PCB which then connects to the cable that runs to the right earpiece, across the headband.
The earpieces each had a round opening for the cable that went across the headband, and the left earpiece had a single rectangular opening at the bottom for the original cable. Trying to minimize the amount of cutting the earpieces, I ended up rotating them 180 degrees and opening up the round hole to fit the new cables. I sealed off the original rectangular hole from the old cable and put it all back together. Seems to fit and feel the same, so no harm done.
Of course, the nameplates on the earpieces were now upside-down, which bugged the hell out of me, so I popped them off, put some new adhesive on them and re-attached them right-side-up.
Getting two cable ends into the plug was a bit tricky. I had to remove the original strain relief and cut away some of the plastic clips that hold a single wire in place. Overall, it wasn't too bad, and adding some heatshrink finished it off nicely and helping with cable strain.
Overall, I am pleased with the mod. It may just be wishful thinking, but I find the soundstage to be even more broad and open. A bit of the heavyness on the bass has diminished (not much, but just enough to notice), and I think the highs are a bit less harsh. Again, could just be wishful thinking after doing the work on them, but I'm happy with the end result.
I took a few pics... unfortunately, I forgot to take pics of the actual construction of the mod. I still need to take the left earpiece apart and add the strain relief. These cans aren't going to travel around much, if at all, so I don't think it's absolutely necessary. It can't hurt, though, and I prefer the asthetics with it.
Edited by mhamel - 11/3/13 at 10:39am