Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best method to burn-in amps...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best method to burn-in amps...

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi all

I'd like to know if there is a 'best practice' when burning in an amp as i'd like to accelerate the whole getting it to the sweet spot thing.

would hooking it to my radio via a bog standard mini to mini and letting it play through my headphones every night work? (a cheap energy usage setup) - as at the moment im just letting my ipod do all the work and im not sure if using the ipod almost 24-7 is any good for it.

I know little to nothing about amp burn-in techniques so any help will be much appreciated.

thanx for any help.
post #2 of 17
Pick album. Press play. Adjust volume. Just listen.

Life is too short for fannying around with electronic burn in. HAVE FUN!

If you also love hi-fi equipment as a means in itself as well as a means to an end, and you want to perceive the burn in changes (or hope to). Then listen to one of your favourite albums over and over at intervals. Seeing if you can notice any change.

(I personally would pick something like A Wizard A True Star, PULSE or Amarok)
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh View Post
Pick album. Press play. Adjust volume. Just listen.

Life is too short for fannying around with electronic burn in. HAVE FUN!

If you also love hi-fi equipment as a means in itself as well as a means to an end, and you want to perceive the burn in changes (or hope to). Then listen to one of your favourite albums over and over at intervals. Seeing if you can notice any change.

(I personally would pick something like A Wizard A True Star, PULSE or Amarok)
Don't get me wrong.

Im not just putting my poddy aside and burning in the amp 'from afar' so to speak.

what im asking is based on burn in during times when im NOT using the ipod - like when im asleep for example.

thanx for the reply.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
anyone?
post #5 of 17
plug it to your pc via a mini-mini cable and plug your headphones to it.
post #6 of 17
Yes just connect to a source, I usually keep a volume slightly louder than my usual listening volume. Put the source in shuffle or random or repeat, and let it go all night long.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
thanx guys.

but can anyone tell me if just hooking it up to a radio and leaving it on a station ( which will have a mixture of music and chat ) be as effective as looping a CD.

my instinct says no - as it'll probably be like 35% music and 65% chat and i GUESS that the amp kind of needs the frequencies found on the tunes as opposed to the chat - would i be correct in assuming that?
post #8 of 17
As long you are putting a signal through the amp, then it should be good.
post #9 of 17

Amp burn in

I have heard that with amps it is basically the caps that need to burn in and simply leaving the power on completes the process. How long varies as to what caps and how big they are.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
Yes just connect to a source, I usually keep a volume slightly louder than my usual listening volume. Put the source in shuffle or random or repeat, and let it go all night long.
But isn't this bad for the headphones? 12+ hours of continuous playing?
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl357 View Post
But isn't this bad for the headphones? 12+ hours of continuous playing?
Not at all. If you believe in burn-in, you'd be burning in your headphones as well.
post #12 of 17
Pink noise gives you all of the frequency. I wouldn't use it on a very loud volume with tube equipment as it can use plenty of power and stress tubes but with solid state I like to use it and it does a great job. Because pink noise is most of the spectrum that we hear all at once it keeps more current going through the caps that need forming than just using a musical signal.
post #13 of 17
Yes, normally listen, and feel its change step by step, It will give you surprise constantly.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh View Post
Pick album. Press play. Adjust volume. Just listen.
Yes, certainly the "best" method...
post #15 of 17
heat your oven and throw in your amp... whoops :P

Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix
If you need pink noise, white noise, all stuff you need for burn/broken in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best method to burn-in amps...