Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Radio Shack Digital Soldering Station..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Radio Shack Digital Soldering Station..

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I picked up a set of the Radio Shack Digital Soldering Station [64-2185] today... and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this unit?

It was $50.. so is there anything else around $50 that I could get, that would be much better?

Thanks much.
post #2 of 21
Hi vwap,

I'd look at the Hakko damonpip is selling:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...o&pagenumber=1
post #3 of 21
i have a weller soldering station WTCPT but it is 60 watts , it is used but in very good condition .

i have pictures if you want .
let me know.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by puppyslugg
Hi vwap,

I'd look at the Hakko damonpip is selling:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...o&pagenumber=1
I've e-mailed him twice or three times in the past two weeks.. with no answer..

I'm wondering if he's still busy with school'n'stuff..
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by screwdriver
i have a weller soldering station WTCPT but it is 60 watts , it is used but in very good condition .

i have pictures if you want .
let me know.
60 watts == what range of temperatures?

How much are you looking for, for it?


THanks
post #6 of 21
im not sure but the range of temp is i think dependent on the tip u use.

ill do a research.
post #7 of 21
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
hey screwdriver.. I'll pass on that for now.. I don't think a fixed temp is what I need right now.. but I'll keep ya in mind.

THanks for the offer, though
post #9 of 21
I got my Weller WCC100 for $35 on eBay from some surplus joint, I don't see myself ever wanting another iron. There's always good stuff on the 'bay from electronics surplus places, my iron had barely any wear on it (and a new sponge).
post #10 of 21
contact east has the $50 weller hobbyist soldering station with rtemp control but do a google search and youll find it for $36.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by screwdriver
contact east has the $50 weller hobbyist soldering station with rtemp control but do a google search and youll find it for $36.
Hmmm.. after shipping and what not.. it'd end up being the $50 I paid for this digital one from Radio Shack...

Anyone used Ratshack irons and can comment about the durability of the tips?

Thanks
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by vwap
Hmmm.. after shipping and what not.. it'd end up being the $50 I paid for this digital one from Radio Shack...

Anyone used Ratshack irons and can comment about the durability of the tips?

Thanks
From what I've read, they will work, but they are some of the worst you can get.
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Squalish
From what I've read, they will work, but they are some of the worst you can get.
Maybe I'll stay on the lookout for a cheap Weller... :/
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally posted by vwap
Anyone used Ratshack irons and can comment about the durability of the tips?



I also found that isolation on the heater wires is broken and some of them are touching the metallic body of the iron. No, I don't think it's safe either.

(yah, I'm getting a weller)
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by zzz
(yah, I'm getting a weller)

Alright .. any cheap Weller recommendations? I saw the WLC100, but from what I've read, it's $50, and you get what you pay for...

So.. yeah.. Carlo's got a WCC100.. but it's discontinued and I can't find one on eBay..

Any suggestions appreciated.. Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Radio Shack Digital Soldering Station..