Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ... - Page 5

post #61 of 74
Thread Starter 

Warning about tripplite

I have to warn peaple about power conditioner.
Those unit emit a "BUZZ" (humm).

If you like silent operation, they not for you.

LC1200 is specially noisy .. they emis a strong vibration through your powercable.

My LC1800 is quiet .. but audible. Depending what I plug in it ... I can have a pretty noisy humm and vibration to almost no humm and very low vibration.

From my experience, a good powercord is a good solution ... power conditioner ... It's help but you will have negatives effects too ...
post #62 of 74
a- How the dynamic ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

Good

b- How the bass level, bass extention, bass impact ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

Very Good

c- How the highs extention ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

Very Good

d- How the depth of soundstage ? (poor, average, good, very good) ?

Very Good


All I gotta say is the OMZ is the only DAC that I owned so far that actually does its job of correctly converting to Analog signal. I've never heard any of the $1000 and above DACs like the Benchmark and what not, but I don't feel like I need to. Ori stands correct in the way he claims his OMZ will make your digital music sound like vinyl. I am very happy with my purchase. Compared with Zhaolu D3 it has all the good qualities of the Zhaolu but just improves it in every way possible. Extended soundstage, depth, tone, emotion. So good.

I never really had noise problems with mine. But I installed a Tripplite filter anyway and I guess it helped a little. Mine sounded good right out of the box.
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post
Ori stands correct in the way he claims his OMZ will make your digital music sound like vinyl.
I love Ori's work and always will. If high level transparency is the end goal, Ori's stuff is absolutely impeccable. However, "making digital sound like vinyl"...is like a person being cold on a summer night due to a bad sunburn and saying it feels like it's winter time in spite it's 80 degrees out and in winter time it is 20 degrees out...

In other words, digital will never sound like vinyl and vinyl will never sound like digital...maybe in some 20 years or something when we are in cars that fly...
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
In other words, digital will never sound like vinyl
and I would never buy digital gear that sounds like a turntable.
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
I love Ori's work and always will. If high level transparency is the end goal, Ori's stuff is absolutely impeccable. However, "making digital sound like vinyl"...is like a person being cold on a summer night due to a bad sunburn and saying it feels like it's winter time in spite it's 80 degrees out and in winter time it is 20 degrees out...

In other words, digital will never sound like vinyl and vinyl will never sound like digital...maybe in some 20 years or something when we are in cars that fly...
haha, ok. maybe not exactly. But pretty close. Well, that's how I hear it anyway when listening through my OMZ. Mine's a v4.2 btw (if that means anything?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
and I would never buy digital gear that sounds like a turntable.
IMO, vinyl > any digital format out there right now. The fact is that many modern day music doesn't come in the LP format.
post #66 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post
haha, ok. maybe not exactly. But pretty close. Well, that's how I hear it anyway when listening through my OMZ. Mine's a v4.2 btw (if that means anything?).



IMO, vinyl > any digital format out there right now. The fact is that many modern day music doesn't come in the LP format.
I have also got the 4.2 version!
really nice DAC !
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
and I would never buy digital gear that sounds like a turntable.
That flew by me...elaborate for my numbskull mind...

btw, you do have a proper vinyl setup right?
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post
haha, ok. maybe not exactly. But pretty close. Well, that's how I hear it anyway when listening through my OMZ. Mine's a v4.2 btw (if that means anything?).



IMO, vinyl > any digital format out there right now. The fact is that many modern day music doesn't come in the LP format.
I hear dramatic differences...but then again, a person that blows up digital photos cannot see the mush all over the piece of paper vs. a properly drum scanned piece of sheet film and enlarged to the same size, so like people's eyes are different, people's ears are different as well.

I think where the issue is is in a person's vinyl setup. I don't feel many have a good vinyl setup and I don't feel they have anything remotely close to the equivalent digital source that Ori offers with the OMZ/pre or even just dac itself. In other words, and especially with Ori's pre/dac, we're talking about a truly reference piece that the entire world of preamps and dacs has to compete against...but you compare this "worldclass" pre/dac to an average or even what I feel the majority of owners out there have in a vinyl setup to it, then yeah, I would actually much rather have the digital since that "smooth" tonality is likely all one can tell when distinguishing the two.

From my experience, the vinyl brings the listeners into the room whereas the digital brings the listening experience on a flat soundstage that is analyzed. Go listen to some well implemented dipolar based speakers that can image well front to back, left to right, as well, and you'll hear how very different box speaker sound is...I prefer a musical experience vs. an analytical one. Sure, I can analyze music with my system very easily, but I never had any feeling of wanting to analyze it when I first heard the speakers I have now. However, every box speaker I had in past and even some dipolar speakers I have heard in time give a overly analytical sound that to me, completely forces the listener to judge the recording and kills the experience.

Anyhow, my experience with vinyl, even on what were not the best of setups, but really quite good is this:

1) Removes the box based sound so the "images" are presented in space in a way that makes sense to me. Like listening to Tool or name your favorite band and the vinyl will make the music sound alive, presenting exceptional images in space, removing that contained box based monitor sound that is typical of digital. Listen to the digital and the soundstage flattens, becomes basically a flat line, and you start to analyze these horrid recordings...yes, vinyl has pops and cracks, but it has a level of transparency nothing digital can do. Correct speakers w/correct digital sources helps, but I know if i had a nice vinyl rig in my system, I could care less for the digital...

2) It does have a smoother sound...but it can actually sound pretty harsh in a very revealing analog signal. Those rolled off highs vinyl supposedly has can actually be the highest level of high end energy on any recording period. Thing about vinyl, as a whole, is it is more listenable be it a bad or good system. But the listenable thing is irrelevent to me and only a bonus.

3) Vinyl is what old stuff was recorded directly to. The recording is the most important thing "just about", and if you pick up some vinyl that contains older recorded material of accoustical music where they recorded directly with the instrumentalists and didn't run it through anything afterwards, you get such an amazing playback experience.

In the digital world, a TON of things have been said to sound vinyl like or more like vinyl, but until people realize digital and vinyl are two entirely different sounds, they will always make claim of one sounding more like the other and vice versa. It's like the digital photographers saying their work looks very film like. Why would a digital photographer that uses digital for many reasons, but having clean files want something that looks like film???...that makes no sense, but you hear it all the time. Funny no one ever says their film images look so much like digital.

There's so many examples in the subjective world of things to point out where two entirely different things are attempted to be made similar and are written or consistently put together in discussion about the similarities, etc. etc.

Sorry for the long ramble, but regardless of my opinion with what I have heard, I won't say my experience with Ori's dac sounds anything like vinyl, but I will say it has been the best dac/preamp I have ever heard. If I had tons of cash to burn, I could go and pickup tons of different dacs adn preamps to see how they do versus Ori's stuff, but since I don't have floods of cash, nor a fetish about buying excessive garbage with an attempt to hear a better sound than what I hear with Ori's stuff, there's absolutely no point.

Ori has gotten his stuff right since he brought the cables to the market. Now he's taken the dac side of things and put in his sophisticated linestage which IMHO, truly does it for this device. Sure, the dac is ok, but that linestage is worldclass...take two very minimalistic circuits, put them together into one device, do some tricks here and there, and you have a reference dac/preamp in one. One reason why I stick to what sounds right and not bother buying excessive stuff to see if it is better is likely the same reason Ori sticks to the dac he uses in his designs that has proven well, so why buy a ton of dacs from different manufactures out there to find the best of the bunch for his design??? Maybe if he is Wilson Audio and has millions in R&D to test all these things out, he would probably find a better dac board to work from/with. But as it is, it is very good, and works simplistically and minimalistically into a simplistic/minimalist design that results in gorgeous sound.

post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
I think where the issue is is in a person's vinyl setup. I don't feel many have a good vinyl setup and I don't feel they have anything remotely close to the equivalent digital source that Ori offers with the OMZ/pre or even just dac itself.
wow, very long response lol. that is true. i do not currently have a good vinyl setup. i bought a cheap $100 audio-technica turntable from amazon. i still love the sound regardless, although i'll probably upgrade later.

what makes a good record player from a bad one anyway (if you don't mind me asking; i'm kind of new to this)? and what's the deal with phono cartridges? and is it necessary to have phono stage or preamp?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
In the digital world, a TON of things have been said to sound vinyl like or more like vinyl, but until people realize digital and vinyl are two entirely different sounds, they will always make claim of one sounding more like the other and vice versa. It's like the digital photographers saying their work looks very film like. Why would a digital photographer that uses digital for many reasons, but having clean files want something that looks like film???...that makes no sense, but you hear it all the time. Funny no one ever says their film images look so much like digital.
You also make an interesting point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
but I will say it has been the best dac/preamp I have ever heard.
i agree.
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post
wow, very long response lol. that is true. i do not currently have a good vinyl setup. i bought a cheap $100 audio-technica turntable from amazon. i still love the sound regardless, although i'll probably upgrade later.

what makes a good record player from a bad one anyway (if you don't mind me asking; i'm kind of new to this)? and what's the deal with phono cartridges? and is it necessary to have phono stage or preamp?

Yeah..sorry for the page out of a book response

Good turntable means stable platter (proper rotational speed and simply put, stable like a brick...similar to what one wants in a good transport that spins cds=good platter/timing-clock), good cartridge, good phono stage, good preamp, good amp.

Most important things strictly dealing with an LP rig is the platter design, cartridge, and phono stage.

It doesn't have to cost a lot since there's some excellent stuff out there if you know what to look for, but finding a good phono stage is a much more difficult task than the turntable and cartridge.
post #71 of 74
OMZ...OMG!!!1!, IMO...LOL...BUT, YMMV AFIK.
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post
Yeah..sorry for the page out of a book response

Good turntable means stable platter (proper rotational speed and simply put, stable like a brick...similar to what one wants in a good transport that spins cds=good platter/timing-clock), good cartridge, good phono stage, good preamp, good amp.

Most important things strictly dealing with an LP rig is the platter design, cartridge, and phono stage.

It doesn't have to cost a lot since there's some excellent stuff out there if you know what to look for, but finding a good phono stage is a much more difficult task than the turntable and cartridge.
i see...something i never quite understood though. what's the purpose of a phono stage and a preamp? from my understanding, a preamp is just an extra volume control. do these things actually make a significant difference in the way it sounds? and as far as cartridges, how do you tell which cartridges are compatible with your turntable? and how do cartridges differ? also any tips on what to look for will be helpful.

my current cheapo turntable probably has a mediocre platter, but as far as timing and speed, i think it sounds ok.
post #73 of 74
hmm. found out that i can't upgrade the cartridge on these turntables. so, i'm deciding to upgrade to the philips ga-312. found one on ebay and there suppose to be pretty highly regarded back in the day.

i think i know which cartridges i want to start with and i found this phono stage/preamp AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-PEQ3

LP Gear: Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3 ATPEQ3 phono preamp (special introduction sale)

anyone know if this is any good? or any recommendations for a phono preamp?
post #74 of 74
Hi All,

Does this DAC supports playback of 24 bit 192 KHz music from HD Tracks or not possible ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Oritek OMZ DAC Sound quality check ...