Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures) - Page 8

post #106 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionTrader View Post
So, all those large capacitors are not needed in most amplifier designs?
That would depend entirely on the amplifier in question. For most portables there's absolutely no need for a huge cap, other than for bragging rights and in some cases may actually do more harm than good.
post #107 of 151
Bragging rights? I can't remember the last time I bragged about the size of my capacitor. But, thanks for making my point. It is about the design of the amplifier as a whole.
post #108 of 151
All I'm saying is that the pico doesn't have a large capacitor that wouldn't improve it's circuit to cause it to have a long burn in process. Other amps may or may not need large capacitors.
post #109 of 151

What about the amp section of the PICO?

Everybody has been raving about the dac section and comparing it wiht some really highend dac.But whats the opinion on the amp section of the PICO.How good is it when compared to other portable(transportable)amps.Does it have enough juice to drive the larger cans well .I would love to see is from any one who has tried the LISAIII and the pico .the longest portable and the shortest portable lol..

I d be getting mine soon but cant wait ......
post #110 of 151
I have only run Denon D2000s out of the amp and it is a fine marriage. Tonight I will add 701s, Ultrasone 2500s and Sennheiser 650s to the mix and let you know. Justin posted that the Pico handles them quite well.
post #111 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw6928 View Post
I have only run Denon D2000s out of the amp and it is a fine marriage. Tonight I will add 701s, Ultrasone 2500s and Sennheiser 650s to the mix and let you know. Justin posted that the Pico handles them quite well.

the 701s hmm now thats what I am looking forward to reading.

Btw the amp section how do u think it compares to other portables atleast by what you have in memory ....
post #112 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
There's no stupidly large capacitor on the pico, I don't think burn-in will be as big a deal.
Well I wouldn't call large caps stupid but I had the smily face because I didn't feel there would be a long burn-in. I guess I should have explained myself.
post #113 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsaxin View Post
the 701s hmm now thats what I am looking forward to reading.

Btw the amp section how do u think it compares to other portables atleast by what you have in memory ....
so far, first day, it is far superior to the Xenos 1HA-EPC in every regard. I have not a/b it with my Corda Move yet or my Microamp. Soon....
post #114 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw6928 View Post
By the way, only 2 people ordered the Pico in bronze: the color is absolutely stunning!
I didn't even know it was an option and I don't think many other people do/did either, I've ever only seen Black, Clear and Gunmetal listed as initial options with other colors possibly coming later. I might have actually considered it because I'm not sure if I'll like the black with clear/silver volume knob on the Pico as much as I did on my AE-2.
post #115 of 151
Since opinions are slim on the amp section right now I'll be sure to give some brief initial impressions when I get mine (hopefully tomorrow... Monday - latest).

IMO one of the most important things for us to discuss is how the synergy changes from one headphone to the next. Most amps do have a certain character footprint that they carry with them but synergy can be largely impacted depending on the cans. I would put the Lisa up against any sub $1000 amp with confidence that it could hold its own but with the UE-11 I found that there was a certain synergy that was lacking (although others with this combo do not agree).

I'll try the Pico with my UE-11, ES2 and PS-1 and try and report on the differences. I'll also compare to my Hornet and try and do some memory based comparos to the Lisa, but I'd also like to hear some in depth impressions from Pico owners on the amp section.
post #116 of 151
I've given my impressions on the amp only as well... Also the Pico's amp does not leave anything but the subtlest footprints on sound. It is remarkably transparent between different sources/headphones allowing me to hear the differences between each other component clearly. For a portable amp that is.
post #117 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74 View Post
Since opinions are slim on the amp section right now I'll be sure to give some brief initial impressions when I get mine (hopefully tomorrow... Monday - latest).

IMO one of the most important things for us to discuss is how the synergy changes from one headphone to the next. Most amps do have a certain character footprint that they carry with them but synergy can be largely impacted depending on the cans. I would put the Lisa up against any sub $1000 amp with confidence that it could hold its own but with the UE-11 I found that there was a certain synergy that was lacking (although others with this combo do not agree).

I'll try the Pico with my UE-11, ES2 and PS-1 and try and report on the differences. I'll also compare to my Hornet and try and do some memory based comparos to the Lisa, but I'd also like to hear some in depth impressions from Pico owners on the amp section.
I would be delighted to post more in-depth, but alas, I am at work with only one pair of headphones (Denon) at my disposal. I will add others when I get home tonight.
post #118 of 151
I've only been able to find short sentences about the amp alone and nothing on what differences or similarities are being heard when compared to other portables that headfiers are more familiar with.
post #119 of 151
I suspect the fact that people are just receiving the Pico has much to do with the sparse posts.
post #120 of 151
I remember reading in one of the threads where they said the amp side would be more or less similar to the AE2 .But then if I right the AE2 was no a worldbeating portable.

If the requirment is just for a world class portable amp (a dac would be welcome)would the pico still be the top choice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures)