New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yulong DAC - Page 7

post #91 of 152

Open the box

Hi,
How do you get the box open on this gadget? I want to look around!
post #92 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hi,
How do you get the box open on this gadget? I want to look around!
Remove the two top screws from both the front panel and the back panel. Then, the top 1/3 of the enclosure can be pulled upwards and removed. It may look like it's all one piece from the sides, but they do a good job of hiding the lines.
post #93 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post
Remove the two top screws from both the front panel and the back panel. Then, the top 1/3 of the enclosure can be pulled upwards and removed. It may look like it's all one piece from the sides, but they do a good job of hiding the lines.

Ok, thanx for that! It looked like a coconut!
post #94 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post
Well I received my DAH1 Mark last Wednesday..............
Thank you for your review, very interesting and helpful. Can you comment on the fit and finish of the unit please.
post #95 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
Thank you for your review, very interesting and helpful. Can you comment on the fit and finish of the unit please.
Absolutely. The fit and finish is quite good, actually. The unit feels pretty solid, no rattling or anything loose. I removed the top of the case to have a look inside. All components were secured in place properly and the designed appears to be laid out nicely. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that the transformer hums on my power. It doesn't come through the speakers very loudly unless you use the LINE OUT function to go straight into your power amps. As far as the headphone amp goes, it sounds absolutely amazing to my ears. I haven't heard anything better, so to me it sounds great.

Another comment about the components inside, the transformer itself directly touches the side of the chassis as well as the USB input module. Due to the fact that the transformer rattles/buzzes, I know it has to be transfering some of that rattle into the circuit board. I haven't noticed anything negative as a result of this, but I do plan on installing some kind of shielding, or possibly even upgrading to a better transformer.
post #96 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post
Absolutely.
Another comment about the components inside, the transformer itself directly touches the side of the chassis as well as the USB input module. Due to the fact that the transformer rattles/buzzes, I know it has to be transfering some of that rattle into the circuit board.......
Try placing some felt between the transformer and case underneath and where it touches the chassis on the side. I have an expensive Yamaha player and that's what they did. Also how bright is the display, I have read that it's too dim too be seen from across the room? Lastly does this unit contain a remote?
Thanks.
post #97 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
Try placing some felt between the transformer and case underneath and where it touches the chassis on the side. I have an expensive Yamaha player and that's what they did. Also how bright is the display, I have read that it's too dim too be seen from across the room? Lastly does this unit contain a remote?
Thanks.
Old tire inner tubes work well too, better than felt. You may find one around a Garage or tire shop.
post #98 of 152
Hey les garten!

I noticed you have experience with this one and a Zero as well..
Any impressions between stock editions of both?

Thanks

-K
post #99 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by electropop View Post
Hey les garten!

I noticed you have experience with this one and a Zero as well..
Any impressions between stock editions of both?

Thanks

-K
Hi,
Got the Yulong a week ago, and it's mainly been burning in I haven't heard any difference in the Dac alone, but admittedly haven't A-B'd them. I think the Headphone amp is considerably more detailed and revealing in it's presentation. Of course fit, finish, and the quality of the boards greatly favor the Yulong.
post #100 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
Try placing some felt between the transformer and case underneath and where it touches the chassis on the side. I have an expensive Yamaha player and that's what they did. Also how bright is the display, I have read that it's too dim too be seen from across the room? Lastly does this unit contain a remote?
Thanks.
Did you notice any improvement in sound quality when you insulated the transformer? I'm going to go out this evening and see if I pick up some felt. The tire suggestion might work also, or maybe I can even find some other type of rubber material at the hardware store that I can use.
post #101 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post
Did you notice any improvement in sound quality when you insulated the transformer? I'm going to go out this evening and see if I pick up some felt. The tire suggestion might work also, or maybe I can even find some other type of rubber material at the hardware store that I can use.
Hardware store would be a good try, they will for sure have some type of rubber grommets, bushings, etc. I believe the flet would "Rub through" eventually. Also, once the flet is compressed, it really doesn't insulate as well for vibration. The engine in your car is rubber mounted, I would spend the time to track down some suitable rubber mount material.
post #102 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hardware store would be a good try, they will for sure have some type of rubber grommets, bushings, etc. I believe the flet would "Rub through" eventually. Also, once the flet is compressed, it really doesn't insulate as well for vibration. The engine in your car is rubber mounted, I would spend the time to track down some suitable rubber mount material.
Sounds like a better option to me.

Does the transformer on your DAH1 hum as well? I haven't seen you comment on that...
post #103 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post
Sounds like a better option to me.

Does the transformer on your DAH1 hum as well? I haven't seen you comment on that...

Nah, my Zero and my Yulong are dead silent.

ORRRR, I have so much hearing damage and age on me I can't hear it!!!! Kinda like those Teen-ager ring tones.

As you get older, your ears become more Analog and tube-like in their resolution!!
post #104 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Nah, my Zero and my Yulong are dead silent.

ORRRR, I have so much hearing damage and age on me I can't hear it!!!! Kinda like those Teen-ager ring tones.

As you get older, your ears become more Analog and tube-like in their resolution!!
Well then maybe I need to hurry up and get a tube preamp now before my ears become tube-like themselves lol.

I wonder if the transformer in my Yulong is defective, or if there is just an issue with the power in my apartment. I've read that too much DC in the circuit can cause transformer hum, but I have other components with transformer in them that do not hum. That is what leads me to believe this issue can be isolated to a defective transformer in the Yulong. I may email the seller (from e bay) and have him send me a new transformer.
post #105 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplice View Post
Well then maybe I need to hurry up and get a tube preamp now before my ears become tube-like themselves lol.

I wonder if the transformer in my Yulong is defective, or if there is just an issue with the power in my apartment. I've read that too much DC in the circuit can cause transformer hum, but I have other components with transformer in them that do not hum. That is what leads me to believe this issue can be isolated to a defective transformer in the Yulong. I may email the seller (from e bay) and have him send me a new transformer.
Hmm, maybe move to another room, or take to work with you and see if the hum changes or goes away.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components