Has anyone here ever found what the actual output in watts is, with ECC99's?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? Last post on Today at 3:58 am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 2/18/15 at 4:23pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Cavalli Liquid Gold Last post on 11/3/13 at 3:17am in High-end Audio Forum
- MADE IN THE USA - Any advise Last post on 4/2/13 at 12:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release Last post on 7/29/15 at 12:04pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Had just got a set of Sennheiser Momentum...
The Final Audio Design (FAD) Heaven VII was sent to me by Final UK as a part of the European review tour. I’d like to give them a big THANK YOU for including me on the tour and giving me a chance...
Noble BTS Review by HiFiChris Preamble: Before I start with my actual review, I want to thank Noble Audio and especially Brannan Mason for providing me with a sample of the BTS for my...
Head-Fi, Fiio X5 and me I came out of my lurking in January 2014 to join Head-Fi, I was looking for a DAP to replace my Creative Zen X-Fi's whose display had a 'black ink' spreading...
Foreword: I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts in : - live venues, - concert halls, - bars, and -...
Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier - Page 260
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Do watts equal sound quality? the proliferation of truly horrid sounding 500-1KW speaker amps and the small but obvious army of amps that actually sound quite nice putting out only 10-75W brings the value of the watt into question. Its almost worth looking for LESS power considering the trends. Perhaps exactly as much as you need? like for example if you only need 1W to drive your speakers you give yourself a healthy 20db of headroom and buy a 10W amp. Or if you only need 10mW to drive your headphones you build a 100mW amp (1/10<1/8)
On that note you will be lucky to get 1/8W out of the bijou (are you lucky to subject yourself to SPL in the 110db+ range? I guess its a matter of perspective). This is conditional on the amount of feedback used, and the load impedance and will usually be LESS! heh. Its a good thing that for conventional dynamic headphones not even 1/8W will get your headphones singing loud enough for all but the most hardcore.
Thanks for all the info.
I ask because I'm thinking real hard of getting a pair of LCD 2's, and they seem to need a few watts to properly power them.
At the AZ meet last weekend, we had a member bring his Leben 600, which has just under a watt output at the headphone
jack. The LCD's sounded OK out of it, but much better when he hooked them up directly to his speaker outputs.
I tried his LCD's on my Bijou, and it seemed to drive them fine, but after hearing the differences on the Leben, I'm wondering
if my Bijou really has enough to drive them with authority.
Im 50/50 on the whole driving orthos thing.
I generally take a very minimalist/low power approach to headphones, and IME it sort of works with orthos although I do generally prefer orthos when driven from an amp that can put several watts or more into 8ohms.
I should also note that I prefer my HD800 from an OTL amp to orthos from pretty much anything. I prefer the soundstage-width on the HD800, and Frequency response between them is close enough to EQ.
Theoretically if the ps is in a separate box, the emf caused by it would will not affect the amp box(and therefor its components) so no. But if u have some lying around just use them, remove as much variables from the equation as u can :P
Im finaly doing the last work on the case, but I want to be done with all mods (for now) before I close the lid.
Im going to try 6n30p and 6n6p.
Ive got some spare power since Im using 2 hammond 370daz.
Would the 6n30ps benefit from higher bias than regals mod?
If so, can you recomend resistor values?
Would it be possible use 6n6p as input tubes?
Edited by vlb - 5/4/11 at 10:32pm
No I mean HT current. I built my bijou as dual mono with one 370daz per channel so Ive got some spare power.
Im reading "valve amplifiers" by M.Jones and I think Ive "mastered" the calculations to bias the input tubes, so I want to know how much current B+ will deliver.
But I gues Im being lazy, some power resistors a osciloscope and some spare time will give me the answear.
My Bijou has a new face.
I also added a three-way power switch with front panel acces. The old, blue faceplate is still there, with the controls
still mounted to it. The new one mounts over the old one.
- Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 8 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Grado SR225 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › What headphones are you currently rocking? 5 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 5 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by Gonomon
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3