Has anyone here ever found what the actual output in watts is, with ECC99's?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold with Abyss AB-1266 - Head-Fi TV Last post on 6/8/14 at 8:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- MADE IN THE USA - Any advise Last post on 4/2/13 at 12:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
- New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release Last post on 8/24/14 at 6:16am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Lightning Last post on 3/10/13 at 2:46pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Cavalli Audio - Liquid Fire Last post on 6/12/13 at 5:04am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier - Page 260
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Do watts equal sound quality? the proliferation of truly horrid sounding 500-1KW speaker amps and the small but obvious army of amps that actually sound quite nice putting out only 10-75W brings the value of the watt into question. Its almost worth looking for LESS power considering the trends. Perhaps exactly as much as you need? like for example if you only need 1W to drive your speakers you give yourself a healthy 20db of headroom and buy a 10W amp. Or if you only need 10mW to drive your headphones you build a 100mW amp (1/10<1/8)
On that note you will be lucky to get 1/8W out of the bijou (are you lucky to subject yourself to SPL in the 110db+ range? I guess its a matter of perspective). This is conditional on the amount of feedback used, and the load impedance and will usually be LESS! heh. Its a good thing that for conventional dynamic headphones not even 1/8W will get your headphones singing loud enough for all but the most hardcore.
Thanks for all the info.
I ask because I'm thinking real hard of getting a pair of LCD 2's, and they seem to need a few watts to properly power them.
At the AZ meet last weekend, we had a member bring his Leben 600, which has just under a watt output at the headphone
jack. The LCD's sounded OK out of it, but much better when he hooked them up directly to his speaker outputs.
I tried his LCD's on my Bijou, and it seemed to drive them fine, but after hearing the differences on the Leben, I'm wondering
if my Bijou really has enough to drive them with authority.
Im 50/50 on the whole driving orthos thing.
I generally take a very minimalist/low power approach to headphones, and IME it sort of works with orthos although I do generally prefer orthos when driven from an amp that can put several watts or more into 8ohms.
I should also note that I prefer my HD800 from an OTL amp to orthos from pretty much anything. I prefer the soundstage-width on the HD800, and Frequency response between them is close enough to EQ.
Theoretically if the ps is in a separate box, the emf caused by it would will not affect the amp box(and therefor its components) so no. But if u have some lying around just use them, remove as much variables from the equation as u can :P
Im finaly doing the last work on the case, but I want to be done with all mods (for now) before I close the lid.
Im going to try 6n30p and 6n6p.
Ive got some spare power since Im using 2 hammond 370daz.
Would the 6n30ps benefit from higher bias than regals mod?
If so, can you recomend resistor values?
Would it be possible use 6n6p as input tubes?
Edited by vlb - 5/4/11 at 10:32pm
No I mean HT current. I built my bijou as dual mono with one 370daz per channel so Ive got some spare power.
Im reading "valve amplifiers" by M.Jones and I think Ive "mastered" the calculations to bias the input tubes, so I want to know how much current B+ will deliver.
But I gues Im being lazy, some power resistors a osciloscope and some spare time will give me the answear.
My Bijou has a new face.
I also added a three-way power switch with front panel acces. The old, blue faceplate is still there, with the controls
still mounted to it. The new one mounts over the old one.
- Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › AudioValve RKV-II (OTL amp) (2014 version) + AudioValve Box... 45 seconds ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 6 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 10 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 13 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D2000 headphones 13 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 14 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)