Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . . - Page 3

post #31 of 689
UH OH--me smells another "brn-in debate" a-comin'. Is it or ain't it???
post #32 of 689
Thread Starter 
None from me. I have said all that I need to say.
post #33 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
None from me. I have said all that I need to say.

Me either. Altho there are some on here.....
post #34 of 689
I have ordered a Predator too,
What is the sound signature of Predator comparing with Tomahawk and Hornet?
post #35 of 689
Thread Starter 
Ray has said it lies between the SR71 and TH or Hornet, I forget which one but my feelings are that it is its own sound signature and to me, very different from the SR71 in being a little more dynamic. There is a cleaness between notes and frankly it is a different set of electronics that has its own sound.
post #36 of 689
I've just ordered a black predator also. I, too, was wondering how it compares to SR-71. Ray only says that it is similar and that doesn't tell me anything. For those of you who have the chance to compare both the sr-71 and predator, please speak your mind. Thank you.
post #37 of 689
So at what "stage" of the review are you at right now?
post #38 of 689
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
So at what "stage" of the review are you at right now?
I am at around 360 hours with 60 hours of my own time on the Pred. It went through a bright period for about 12 to 15 hours and then that cleared up and it got a little congested and then that pretty much has cleared up. There are so many things at play on a macro, micro and nano that transforms the sound as everything forms due to electromagnetic influence and electron flow on IC's, other metallic devices and organic materials.

While I feel that Ray does have a sound that he hears and strives for and I appreciate that, in the end there are so many influences that only time will be the judge of where the sound settles given the parameters of each system and the interaction of the whole, which each of our own set of ears figures pretty heavily into to.

I can say that with well recorded music I don't think there will be many people disappointed. Seldom will everyone agree on any one point and this would be no exception but I do think the Predator gives a good dose of high quality sound. I find the high frequencies clean and without grain, the mids are not forward or recessed but enough to bring out the voice so it has dimension and the bass has impact with rhythm and pace but it does not mingle with the lower mids as some amps can do.
post #39 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
I am at around 360 hours with 60 hours of my own time on the Pred.
Wait, I'm confused, on the 18th you'd only spent 6 hours listening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
. So how does it sound? Well at this time, with maybe 6 hours of listening <snip>
So have you really spent the last 48hrs listening constantly? Or is it that you've burned it in another 60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
There are so many things at play on a macro, micro and nano that transforms the sound as everything forms due to electromagnetic influence and electron flow on IC's, other metallic devices and organic materials.
I believe in a bit of burn in but "electromagnetic influence and electron flow"? Exactly how complicated a device do you think you're working with? It's a couple of chips, some resistors, one giant cap and that's about it.

Pardon my intrusion, you may now go about your regularly scheduled gushing.
post #40 of 689
Thread Starter 
When it comes to dac and many IC's there are many influences going on. Do some investigation.

I received the Predator with 300 hours, as stated, and have a little over 60 hours of my own use now. Of course I don't listen 24 hours a day, but I think most people could understand that with a little bit of thought.

Oh, and spread out what is inside of a dac and some of the other devices on a breadboard with all of the required resistors, transistors and associated parts and build a dac if you want to see how complicated a circuit we are dealing with.
post #41 of 689
jamato,

I don't disagree with anything you've said regarding your impressions of the sound of the Predator. What am I trying to convey and obviously doing a poor job of it (thanks recstar for your far more eloquent help) is that reviewers should understand the weight that their opinion carries. I can very nearly guarantee that when folks start receiving their Predators that we will now hear a litany of stated burn-in times regarding sound quality based on your review. And for anyone that perhaps doesn't agree with your impressions will be told that they need the requisite 300/500/whatever period of burn-in before their opinion becomes valid.

I've argued this point in other threads recently so I'll stop here.
post #42 of 689
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
jamato,

I don't disagree with anything you've said regarding your impressions of the sound of the Predator. What am I trying to convey and obviously doing a poor job of it (thanks recstar for your far more eloquent help) is that reviewers should understand the weight that their opinion carries. I can very nearly guarantee that when folks start receiving their Predators that we will now hear a litany of stated burn-in times regarding sound quality based on your review. And for anyone that perhaps doesn't agree with your impressions will be told that they need the requisite 300/500/whatever period of burn-in before their opinion becomes valid.

I've argued this point in other threads recently so I'll stop here.
You have a valid point. What I am doing here is expressing what I hear and my way of interpreting and reporting it. It should be taken as that and frankly it has been my style for much of the time I have given my impressions on a number of pieces of equipment here as well as when I build and listen to my own equipment. I hope that what I write is observed as my opinion as one human being and taken as that and nothing more.
post #43 of 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
Ray has said it lies between the SR71 and TH or Hornet, I forget which one but my feelings are that it is its own sound signature and to me, very different from the SR71 in being a little more dynamic. There is a cleaness between notes and frankly it is a different set of electronics that has its own sound.
What do you mean when you say "very different from the SR71 in being a little more dynamic"?

I have an SR-71, had a Hornet, and heard the Predator (granted, for a limited time). We might be using different terminology since I'm not sure what you mean by "more dynamic" since that wasn't my experience, though that's not a criticism of the Predator, which I thought sounded good, just not more dynamic.
post #44 of 689
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
What do you mean when you say "very different from the SR71 in being a little more dynamic"?

I have an SR-71, had a Hornet, and heard the Predator (granted, for a limited time). We might be using different terminology since I'm not sure what you mean by "more dynamic" since that wasn't my experience, though that's not a criticism of the Predator, which I thought sounded good, just not more dynamic.
That is my interpretation of what I am hearing.
post #45 of 689
I look forward to your long term impressions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .