Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-A810 Full Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-A810 Full Review - Page 2

post #16 of 110
Well if you're interested purely in numbers pick up a Sansa Express and give it a listen.

It is also a perfectly excellent sounding device.

Here is me testing few more players, and again all are driving 16ohm headphones in this test.

RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

The sansa express didn't want to play WAV with the old firmware at that time so it was playing lame insane MP3 while the other players were playing WAV. It should play wav now but I am to lazy to rest it with WAV. I guess it will score a little better with WAV. But I find this test already shows everything that needs to be said about this particular gem.

To my ear and my headphone choices the NWZ-S616F edges out the Express in SQ. I find it better sounding then the Sansa even though it's freq response isn't so linear. On the other hand the Sony isn't ultra cheap but an express you can pick up for peanuts if you look around. I payed $40CDN for a 2GB which is an unusually good deal for this quality sound and standard USB connector.
post #17 of 110
Does anyone have a good feel for EQ settings on the 816/818 with the stock headphones? I've been playing around with it a bit, but not sure what I really like the best. The bass is pretty heavy no matter what you do. I imagine that has an awful lot to do with the trance music I'm using for source material.

Also does anyone have a good explanation for how Clear Stereo works, and why it says it's only for use with the supplied headphones?
post #18 of 110
I use flat-eq I find it sounds very good. No need to mess with a good thing
post #19 of 110
Are there any close up detail pictures floating around? I'm awaiting mines in the mail (might save opening it until Christmas ), and I was wondering whether to put a BestSkinsEver on it. The crystal cases I found are too expensive.

If that's too difficult, then I'll just buy one of those PDA screen protectors and protect just the screen.

Edit:
post #20 of 110
sigsegv0x0B

Do you know if the NWZ-A818 internals are identical to the NWZ-S616 it has been stated that they are but is there any proof? Have you tested the NWZ-A818? I'm looking at getting one of these two players after all this waiting I think i've found a player that meets my needs.
post #21 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_1 View Post
sigsegv0x0B

Do you know if the NWZ-A818 internals are identical to the NWZ-S616 it has been stated that they are but is there any proof? Have you tested the NWZ-A818? I'm looking at getting one of these two players after all this waiting I think i've found a player that meets my needs.
Where did you read that it stated the 616 and 818 are the same? I haven't read that anywhere, or maybe I missed it? I'm fairly certain they are not the same.

But the 818 and 808 are identical in every single way except for the software they use, ie; drag and drop vs Sonicstage. The 800 series was brought out first, and the 810 drag and drop version a few months later. They ARE the same, but I'm sure the 616 isn't.
post #22 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_1 View Post
sigsegv0x0B

Do you know if the NWZ-A818 internals are identical to the NWZ-S616 it has been stated that they are but is there any proof? Have you tested the NWZ-A818? I'm looking at getting one of these two players after all this waiting I think i've found a player that meets my needs.
No idea. I have played with an NWZ-A818 But have never tested or listened to one. To me it seems the S series is a better deal. You get all the same features + FM Tuner and trade it for a smaller screen and better unlock switch position.
post #23 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
Where did you read that it stated the 616 and 818 are the same? I haven't read that anywhere, or maybe I missed it? I'm fairly certain they are not the same.

But the 818 and 808 are identical in every single way except for the software they use, ie; drag and drop vs Sonicstage. The 800 series was brought out first, and the 810 drag and drop version a few months later. They ARE the same, but I'm sure the 616 isn't.
Their interface is almost identical and it would make a LOT of financial sense for Sony to keep the same hardware. But I have never disassembled either unit so we can't know with 100% certainty unless someone finds the service manuals for them or disassembles them.
post #24 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B View Post
Their interface is almost identical.
I thought it was identical. What's different? I haven't noticed anything different and I've read some really detailed reviews and seen some close-up pics over at Atraclife, and everything I've seen confirms they are identical.

Also, there would have been no reason for Sony to change the hardware after only a few months. I think the drag and drop version was brought out to coincide with the new iPod range. Sony even mentioned it was the same model but that it catered for people with different needs, ie; those who wanted drag and drop, and those who were happy with SS/Atrac - one model - two uses.
post #25 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozieq View Post
I thought it was identical. What's different? I haven't noticed anything different and I've read some really detailed reviews and seen some close-up pics over at Atraclife, and everything I've seen confirms they are identical.

Also, there would have been no reason for Sony to change the hardware after only a few months. I think the drag and drop version was brought out to coincide with the new iPod range. Sony even mentioned it was the same model but that it catered for people with different needs, ie; those who wanted drag and drop, and those who were happy with SS/Atrac - one model - two uses.
The A81x series has no fm tuner but features some extra clear bass settings I think. On the other hand someone at atraclife posted the service manual for the A8xx and A81x series. And it is the same service manual for both devices and they're identical. So I guess the difference between the 80x and 81x is just firmware.

A service manual for NWZ-S series I can't find yet.
post #26 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B View Post
I used it with HD497 and HD280 and HD595 and it sounds excellent with all these headphones. Of course 497 and 595 are fairly neutral. Except the HD280 Pro which have a rather rolled off bass to start with. But basically yes the sound is clearly not netural. But you simply have to give this DAP a chance to see just how good it sounds.

Another thing with this DAP is that it sounds good at extremely low volume. I find other players loose definition at low volumes while this Sony sounds very good with all detail/bass/mids/highs are there. (As did the NW-a1000 and the Sansa Express). I usually listen to E4c at between 8/30 to 12/30 on the NWZ-S616F.

In addition to all that this player really features the best 'soundstage' of all players i've tried. I can only guess due to it's superb crosstalk performance.
A810 w/ HD595 ???
HD595 needs to more POWER !
post #27 of 110
are the stock IEM (MDR-EX85LP i think) any good?
post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheIV View Post
are the stock IEM (MDR-EX85LP i think) any good?
If those are the phones that came with the 815 i tried than it's a big fat no. I couldn't stand them. they reminded me of the horrible koss plug.
post #29 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywithoutmetal View Post
If those are the phones that came with the 815 i tried than it's a big fat no. I couldn't stand them. they reminded me of the horrible koss plug.
yes. i think they are exactly the same. omg koss.
you mean too much bass and awful highs?
post #30 of 110
yep, that bad. the zune earphones I used with the a810 felt like heaven compared to them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-A810 Full Review