Yeah, I got them from Music Matter like a few more people here and they are just doing a straight replacement instead of a lengthy repair so I'm happy about that. I just ordered some new cable for them to and that came today but I was unable to use it. :(
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 8/8/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 10/28/13 at 4:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Check out the new "Addict Uprock Headphones" - should I get a pair? Last post on 9/15/10 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm ,M-Audio Studiophile Q40 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 9/24/10 at 12:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Replacement Cable Last post on 4/21/13 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M Audio Q40 VS. Audio Technica M50 Last post on 8/15/10 at 10:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 59
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #872 of 15871/31/13 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by blacknile
I got a pair for £59 shipped. These must be the absolute best value headphones in the UK at the moment.
They have almost the exact sound signature I was looking for! I much prefer them to my M50 for jazz and classical...With jazz especially, they render acoustic double bass beautifully, while I love how cellos sound in classical records.
Now if I could only reduce a bit the bass: is there a fix apart from equalising? I find that on recordings where the bass is already heavy from the mastering stage (ambient, electronica) with these headphones it becomes bloated - frankly a bit too much.
I've never found the bass to be bloated. Plentiful but not hyperextended. You may want to try different earpads and see if that changes things a bit towards better.post #873 of 15871/31/13 at 3:20am
Thank. Does the bass response change with different amplification, in your experience? I must admit I've only fed these from a desktop computer's jack and from a speaker amp jack. Could it be that high output impedance jacks change the bass response for these headphones?post #874 of 15871/31/13 at 10:36am
Mine are sounding pretty good with an Odac & M-stage combo, this is my first decent setup and the acid test for me is a much played EDM cd, the never before heard detail on this cd had a big smile on my face this morning and Battlefield 3 is just astounding..
As other have said its a little tight on the noggin but for £59 I'll persevere..
post #875 of 15872/14/13 at 7:53ampost #876 of 15872/14/13 at 9:14ampost #877 of 15872/14/13 at 9:28ampost #878 of 15872/14/13 at 9:39am
I bought my 770 velour pads from BHPhotoVideo, but I think they're out of stock right now. They do have the gel pads in stock though so you could try getting those, or you could wait for the velours to come back in stock.
Another option would be to mod the original pads, by stuffing something underneath them to give your ears some more clearance.post #879 of 15872/15/13 at 4:34pm
For you guys shopping for a new cable, you might want to check out this thread:
I found one I like that has the bonus of a button/mic to control your mp3 player/phone (I posted pics in that thread).post #880 of 15872/17/13 at 6:00ampost #881 of 15872/17/13 at 3:09pmpost #882 of 15872/17/13 at 3:48pmQuote:
Yea it does loose some over time for sure but the clamp never bothered me on this headphone even at start, guess I'm lucky because I do remember having issues with clamping on a DT770 Pro (the cups were so large and rather stiff it pressed on my cheekbones quite hard and caused fatigue) but it was like as if the velour pads were really compact while the Q40 stock pads are shallow but still softer than those pads.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/17/13 at 3:58pmpost #883 of 15872/17/13 at 6:21pm
I agree. TBH these Q40 are much more comfortable than my old ATH-M50. Those were very heavy, head strong clamping and the weight gave me neck pain after 4 or 5 hours of usage. The Q40 are lighter, the clamping is spot on and the stock pads are soft enough, which means I can use them for hours without any problem.post #884 of 15872/18/13 at 8:39amQuote:
Already got rid of them. Cups were too shallow as well.
- M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K712 Pro 10 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 25 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 1 minute ago
- › Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? 1 minute ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox) 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! 2 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)