- 883 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 8/8/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 6/11/15 at 2:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Check out the new "Addict Uprock Headphones" - should I get a pair? Last post on 9/15/10 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm ,M-Audio Studiophile Q40 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 9/24/10 at 12:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Replacement Cable Last post on 4/21/13 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M Audio Q40 VS. Audio Technica M50 Last post on 8/15/10 at 10:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction – The first Soundlink Mini was quite an important product in the portable Bluetooth speaker landscape, it was one of the first speakers to use two opposing passive radiators and also...
Part 1 - TORTURE TEST So, have you ever heard the noise from an old laptop's hard drive spinning-up, or the electronic "chirp" of your mouse cursor moving across your screen during music...
FiiO EM3Comfort is King DisclaimerThe EM3 was a review unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to record my thoughts and impressions on how I found the...
I have had this amp now for about 6 months, and I very much enjoy the sound. I didn't even bother with the stock tubes, they got tossed in favor of a matched pair of GE 5657's, and I have a pair of...
Rhapsodio Solar Note: The custom in-ear in this review was provided at a discounted rate. Rhapsodio is an up and coming manufacturer of both custom in-ears and custom-like universals....
M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 56post #826 of 16381/11/13 at 3:46amMine rattles too
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #827 of 16381/11/13 at 5:46am
It's part of the design, it's the whole driver itself which is moving around as somehow it's designed so it can move a little around in the housing, the circular driver housing "cage" is a little bigger than the driver itself. I can hear the same thing when having it on my head and nodding quickly in a particular way (it's not that easy to make it heard and you need to lean backwards a bit with your head when doing it).
If you remove the pads you will see this when shaking it around.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/11/13 at 5:49ampost #828 of 16381/11/13 at 6:12amYeah, I thought so it was just that I couldn't remember if it was like that when I first used it. Anyways, anyone got any ideas where I can get a higher quality 1-2M cable for these in the UK/EU?post #829 of 16381/11/13 at 6:57amQuote:
Most cables that have a thin jack will work.
I know RPG uses the thin cable that comes with the Monoprice 8323s
I use the V-Moda audio only cable.post #830 of 16381/11/13 at 7:03ampost #831 of 16381/11/13 at 7:14am
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.post #832 of 16381/11/13 at 7:17am
Depends on the type you get. I have trouble noticing the difference in sound between cables. I notice something is different, but the change is very subtle IMO. The audio only cable I have is 6 feet long, but the mic'd cables they have are 4 feet long.post #833 of 16381/11/13 at 7:29amQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.
Would you mind posting a link to the Monoprice cables you're talking about? I see a lot of them.post #834 of 16381/11/13 at 8:10amQuote:
Don't know if it's separately purchasable, I put up a "WTB Monoprice 8323 DJ bundled cable" in the buy/sell section.post #835 of 16381/11/13 at 7:54pmpost #836 of 16381/11/13 at 9:35pmpost #837 of 16381/12/13 at 4:14ampost #838 of 16381/24/13 at 5:24ampost #839 of 16381/24/13 at 5:43amQuote:
Noticably bassier (punchier, more slamming) but good control and texture for the quantity it packs. A bit more forward midrange, pretty neutral while M50 (bassheavy versions tends to be a bit recessed) and the highs are slightly less forward (about neutral if M50 has a slight emphasis but the Q40 needs to be burned in too or there is some slight 9kHz spike out of box) but the exension is so-so, not the very best, M50 probably has better extension in the highs, the Q40 already starts drop of somewhere after 14kHz so they aren't exactly "airy" sounding in the highs by any means. Soundstage is by no means large on the Q40 because they sit so close to the ear, possibly slightly better than M50 but my memory isn't so good so I can accurately comment on that. The stock pads on Q40 can easily be modded so they become deeper so your ears won't touch the driver protective foam and it'll also help with soundstage & imaging by deepening the pads by stuffing for example paper towels underneath the pad (however only a very thin layer should be added or the mids become recessed sounding).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/24/13 at 5:53ampost #840 of 16381/24/13 at 10:30am
My comparison here:
- M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ 50 seconds ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a DAC/Headphone amp combo with RCA out and volumn control 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW ATH-CKS1100 first look by Jant71. PG 2066. 5 minutes ago
- › What will the new DX200 look like? Dec 23, new images on page 1. 6 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 7 minutes ago
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › iFi iPurifier 2 by knorris908
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by RedJohn456
- › Little Dot I+ by Shasari
- › Rhapsodio Solar by shotgunshane
- › Superlux HD-660 by Wiljen
- › ACS T1 by Docjitters
- › QKZ W1 Pro - In-ear sport headphone by B9Scrambler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mechgamer123
- › Dunu TITAN 5 by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse