- 883 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 8/8/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 10/28/13 at 4:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Check out the new "Addict Uprock Headphones" - should I get a pair? Last post on 9/15/10 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm ,M-Audio Studiophile Q40 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 9/24/10 at 12:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Replacement Cable Last post on 4/21/13 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M Audio Q40 VS. Audio Technica M50 Last post on 8/15/10 at 10:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 56post #826 of 16041/11/13 at 3:46amMine rattles too
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #827 of 16041/11/13 at 5:46am
It's part of the design, it's the whole driver itself which is moving around as somehow it's designed so it can move a little around in the housing, the circular driver housing "cage" is a little bigger than the driver itself. I can hear the same thing when having it on my head and nodding quickly in a particular way (it's not that easy to make it heard and you need to lean backwards a bit with your head when doing it).
If you remove the pads you will see this when shaking it around.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/11/13 at 5:49ampost #828 of 16041/11/13 at 6:12amYeah, I thought so it was just that I couldn't remember if it was like that when I first used it. Anyways, anyone got any ideas where I can get a higher quality 1-2M cable for these in the UK/EU?post #829 of 16041/11/13 at 6:57amQuote:
Most cables that have a thin jack will work.
I know RPG uses the thin cable that comes with the Monoprice 8323s
I use the V-Moda audio only cable.post #830 of 16041/11/13 at 7:03ampost #831 of 16041/11/13 at 7:14am
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.post #832 of 16041/11/13 at 7:17am
Depends on the type you get. I have trouble noticing the difference in sound between cables. I notice something is different, but the change is very subtle IMO. The audio only cable I have is 6 feet long, but the mic'd cables they have are 4 feet long.post #833 of 16041/11/13 at 7:29amQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.
Would you mind posting a link to the Monoprice cables you're talking about? I see a lot of them.post #834 of 16041/11/13 at 8:10amQuote:
Don't know if it's separately purchasable, I put up a "WTB Monoprice 8323 DJ bundled cable" in the buy/sell section.post #835 of 16041/11/13 at 7:54pmpost #836 of 16041/11/13 at 9:35pmpost #837 of 16041/12/13 at 4:14ampost #838 of 16041/24/13 at 5:24ampost #839 of 16041/24/13 at 5:43amQuote:
Noticably bassier (punchier, more slamming) but good control and texture for the quantity it packs. A bit more forward midrange, pretty neutral while M50 (bassheavy versions tends to be a bit recessed) and the highs are slightly less forward (about neutral if M50 has a slight emphasis but the Q40 needs to be burned in too or there is some slight 9kHz spike out of box) but the exension is so-so, not the very best, M50 probably has better extension in the highs, the Q40 already starts drop of somewhere after 14kHz so they aren't exactly "airy" sounding in the highs by any means. Soundstage is by no means large on the Q40 because they sit so close to the ear, possibly slightly better than M50 but my memory isn't so good so I can accurately comment on that. The stock pads on Q40 can easily be modded so they become deeper so your ears won't touch the driver protective foam and it'll also help with soundstage & imaging by deepening the pads by stuffing for example paper towels underneath the pad (however only a very thin layer should be added or the mids become recessed sounding).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/24/13 at 5:53ampost #840 of 16041/24/13 at 10:30am
My comparison here:
- M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 31 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW sfwalcer's earphone comparo PG 1727.... 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 6 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Beats by Dre question, could you like them if.. 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 7 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)