- 883 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 8/8/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 12/6/14 at 1:49pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Check out the new "Addict Uprock Headphones" - should I get a pair? Last post on 9/15/10 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm ,M-Audio Studiophile Q40 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 9/24/10 at 12:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Replacement Cable Last post on 4/21/13 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M Audio Q40 VS. Audio Technica M50 Last post on 8/15/10 at 10:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 56post #826 of 16371/11/13 at 3:46amMine rattles too
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #827 of 16371/11/13 at 5:46am
It's part of the design, it's the whole driver itself which is moving around as somehow it's designed so it can move a little around in the housing, the circular driver housing "cage" is a little bigger than the driver itself. I can hear the same thing when having it on my head and nodding quickly in a particular way (it's not that easy to make it heard and you need to lean backwards a bit with your head when doing it).
If you remove the pads you will see this when shaking it around.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/11/13 at 5:49ampost #828 of 16371/11/13 at 6:12amYeah, I thought so it was just that I couldn't remember if it was like that when I first used it. Anyways, anyone got any ideas where I can get a higher quality 1-2M cable for these in the UK/EU?post #829 of 16371/11/13 at 6:57amQuote:
Most cables that have a thin jack will work.
I know RPG uses the thin cable that comes with the Monoprice 8323s
I use the V-Moda audio only cable.post #830 of 16371/11/13 at 7:03ampost #831 of 16371/11/13 at 7:14am
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.post #832 of 16371/11/13 at 7:17am
Depends on the type you get. I have trouble noticing the difference in sound between cables. I notice something is different, but the change is very subtle IMO. The audio only cable I have is 6 feet long, but the mic'd cables they have are 4 feet long.post #833 of 16371/11/13 at 7:29amQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.
Would you mind posting a link to the Monoprice cables you're talking about? I see a lot of them.post #834 of 16371/11/13 at 8:10amQuote:
Don't know if it's separately purchasable, I put up a "WTB Monoprice 8323 DJ bundled cable" in the buy/sell section.post #835 of 16371/11/13 at 7:54pmpost #836 of 16371/11/13 at 9:35pmpost #837 of 16371/12/13 at 4:14ampost #838 of 16371/24/13 at 5:24ampost #839 of 16371/24/13 at 5:43amQuote:
Noticably bassier (punchier, more slamming) but good control and texture for the quantity it packs. A bit more forward midrange, pretty neutral while M50 (bassheavy versions tends to be a bit recessed) and the highs are slightly less forward (about neutral if M50 has a slight emphasis but the Q40 needs to be burned in too or there is some slight 9kHz spike out of box) but the exension is so-so, not the very best, M50 probably has better extension in the highs, the Q40 already starts drop of somewhere after 14kHz so they aren't exactly "airy" sounding in the highs by any means. Soundstage is by no means large on the Q40 because they sit so close to the ear, possibly slightly better than M50 but my memory isn't so good so I can accurately comment on that. The stock pads on Q40 can easily be modded so they become deeper so your ears won't touch the driver protective foam and it'll also help with soundstage & imaging by deepening the pads by stuffing for example paper towels underneath the pad (however only a very thin layer should be added or the mids become recessed sounding).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/24/13 at 5:53ampost #840 of 16371/24/13 at 10:30am
My comparison here:
- M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 30 seconds ago
- › Help choosing headphones for computer. MDRHW700DS/Fidelio x2/PC 363 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 3 minutes ago
- › Fitear Parterre 4 minutes ago
- › Win BoomPro to Transform you ordinary headphone into a pro... 4 minutes ago
- › Has anybody tried the E17K Alpen 2 with hd800s? Could you... 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives... 4 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2