- 883 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 8/8/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- brandM Audiotagged by System, 7/19/10
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/20/10
Related Forum Threads
- [review/comparison] Shure SRH 840, Audio Technica ATH-M50, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Last post on 6/11/15 at 2:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Check out the new "Addict Uprock Headphones" - should I get a pair? Last post on 9/15/10 at 2:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm ,M-Audio Studiophile Q40 or Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 9/24/10 at 12:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Replacement Cable Last post on 4/21/13 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- M Audio Q40 VS. Audio Technica M50 Last post on 8/15/10 at 10:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time this review was written, the Super Dolphin earphone was listed for sale on AK Audio Store’s Aliexpress website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Preamble: Advanced AcousticWerkes, in short known as AAW, is a Singapore based audio product manufacturer best known for custom-moulded in-ear monitors (CIEMs). Not long ago, they have...
The Soundaware Esther M1Pro provides a immersive sound experience held down by its dated interface and firmware. Its like driving a luxury car with all its comfort but with a dated design...
I am lucky. Very lucky. As I listened last Sunday to the i5, not only did we have the first good (not hard, but good) freeze of the Fall, but since I had been up since just before sunrise, I was...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Bluetooth version of Mee Audio's classic budget earphone, the M9B. Mee Audio, formerly MEElectronics, has been around since 2005 and is...
M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 56post #826 of 16381/11/13 at 3:46amMine rattles too
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #827 of 16381/11/13 at 5:46am
It's part of the design, it's the whole driver itself which is moving around as somehow it's designed so it can move a little around in the housing, the circular driver housing "cage" is a little bigger than the driver itself. I can hear the same thing when having it on my head and nodding quickly in a particular way (it's not that easy to make it heard and you need to lean backwards a bit with your head when doing it).
If you remove the pads you will see this when shaking it around.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/11/13 at 5:49ampost #828 of 16381/11/13 at 6:12amYeah, I thought so it was just that I couldn't remember if it was like that when I first used it. Anyways, anyone got any ideas where I can get a higher quality 1-2M cable for these in the UK/EU?post #829 of 16381/11/13 at 6:57amQuote:
Most cables that have a thin jack will work.
I know RPG uses the thin cable that comes with the Monoprice 8323s
I use the V-Moda audio only cable.post #830 of 16381/11/13 at 7:03ampost #831 of 16381/11/13 at 7:14am
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.post #832 of 16381/11/13 at 7:17am
Depends on the type you get. I have trouble noticing the difference in sound between cables. I notice something is different, but the change is very subtle IMO. The audio only cable I have is 6 feet long, but the mic'd cables they have are 4 feet long.post #833 of 16381/11/13 at 7:29amQuote:Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD
Yea the V-Moda cables fits nicely and look cool but I don't like kevlar inforced cables and I actually thought that cable muted highs by ~1dB, not much but yea it's like the same amount as moving the slider on the EQ of a realtek onboard chip one step and I didn't like that, got too warm/smooth. With the Monoprice cable I got a bit better clarity and less smeared sound.
Would you mind posting a link to the Monoprice cables you're talking about? I see a lot of them.post #834 of 16381/11/13 at 8:10amQuote:
Don't know if it's separately purchasable, I put up a "WTB Monoprice 8323 DJ bundled cable" in the buy/sell section.post #835 of 16381/11/13 at 7:54pmpost #836 of 16381/11/13 at 9:35pmpost #837 of 16381/12/13 at 4:14ampost #838 of 16381/24/13 at 5:24ampost #839 of 16381/24/13 at 5:43amQuote:
Noticably bassier (punchier, more slamming) but good control and texture for the quantity it packs. A bit more forward midrange, pretty neutral while M50 (bassheavy versions tends to be a bit recessed) and the highs are slightly less forward (about neutral if M50 has a slight emphasis but the Q40 needs to be burned in too or there is some slight 9kHz spike out of box) but the exension is so-so, not the very best, M50 probably has better extension in the highs, the Q40 already starts drop of somewhere after 14kHz so they aren't exactly "airy" sounding in the highs by any means. Soundstage is by no means large on the Q40 because they sit so close to the ear, possibly slightly better than M50 but my memory isn't so good so I can accurately comment on that. The stock pads on Q40 can easily be modded so they become deeper so your ears won't touch the driver protective foam and it'll also help with soundstage & imaging by deepening the pads by stuffing for example paper towels underneath the pad (however only a very thin layer should be added or the mids become recessed sounding).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/24/13 at 5:53ampost #840 of 16381/24/13 at 10:30am
My comparison here:
- M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 57 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - DELTA HYBRID V II 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › DAP'S - Is there really any difference in the sound reproduction? 7 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by Hisoundfi
- › AAW Nebula One Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitor by HiFiChris
- › Soundaware Esther by tassardar
- › Cayin i5 by ngoshawk
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear