or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 100

post #1486 of 1644

Hey guys, Ive been reading this thread for a while after randomly finding these on Goldenears. I decided to order them due to all the positive impressions and for the simple fact they sounded like the perfect headphone(For my taste in Sound Sig)...

I wont really give a full review because id probably ramble on forever...But i WILL say, These Q40's are the ONLY headphone ive owned that strike this perfect balance between detailed, strong, and wonderfully textured bass + Great Mids and Highs. Out of my entire collection of Iems/Headphones(Some of which i no longer own) these literally sound outright better. I've owned Etymotic 4r, UE TF10, Westone UM3X/Westone 4R, Sennheiser IE8, V Moda M100, Sennheiser Momentum, Nad Viso HP50, and AKG K545. None of the previous have struck such a beautiful balance...along with the clarity these offer. I was really surprised as i began my 1st song to test 'em out (Nu Tone-Strange Encounter) and the initial drums were fast,clear and sounded so natural and then as she began to sing i was wowed at how authoritative she sounded and as the bass line began she was not affected in anyway by the strong rumbling bassline. Its all i needed to hear to fall in love. I listen to Trance, Techno/Hardstyle, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Electro house...and so on....which all have a lot of bass with vocals and they always seemed to be affected on the more bass heavy tracks which REALLY annoyed me. But not with the Q40's. :L3000: Their balance makes them work will all genres. 

And another thing i noticed is how well accurate  the bass is. When a song calls for tons of bass...like a hardstyle track..(Dr.Rude-Overdrive)...they will deliver, but when a more tamed bass is called for, thats what youll get. And to top it all off...the price of these makes no sense since, to my ears, becuase just sound better. 

And now im gonna shut up now because like i said earlier i can keep on going about these hidden gems and i just wanna listen :gs1000smile:

post #1487 of 1644

^ Same thoughts here. :) For me they do it so well, exactly what you said, strike a good balance between strong bass but great overall sound quality that I'm starting to wonder if there's truly any headphone out there that is able to please me more. xD 

I have headphones like Signature DJ, Perfect Sound Dido D901, Final Audio Pandora VI, Fostex TH-900 in mind but I'm not even sure paying that much will grant better experience as I feel what I have here is already pretty perfect. The source/amp pairing is also important, the Q40 react nicely to different amps/sources (ranging from a bit overly muddy/smooth to slightly bright/analytical) and I feel I've kinda hit the sweetspot with my current setup as there's really nothing I feel missing (bass, mids & highs balance is just spot-on to me, the quality of the bass just fantastic, great imaging, no annoying resonance peaks in the entire range, really puts me into crazy dancemood/foot-tapping/singalong feel like I've never experienced before), maybe slightly wider soundstaging perhaps, maybe slightly better highs extensions for more airiness up top. Ok well those are pretty much the only aspects I could imagine I might still enjoy improvements in but there's an overhelming amount of stuff it already does so well for my tastes. 

Finally, it's even hard to find a headphone with closer to a perfect "^--" shape frequency response in any price range, if you're limiting it to headphones with greater than 5dB bass boosts. The variety in the mids & highs is lesser than 5dB! except the spike in the highs around 9kHz (weirdly enough it doesn't sound like there's a big spike there, probably due to its rather "soft" highs character, well it's not extremely soft either, for me quite suitable, I rather take slightly softer than slightly rough/shrilly highs). The only thing that is less than ideal FR-response wise is the fact that it rolls-off quite sharply up top, past 14kHz which is already so high up that it won't cause any big issues, certainly not if you're an EDM listener. Still doesn't make sense why such a headphone has A) costed so little like it has and B) is being discontinued.

I use mine to master hardstyle tracks on a pretty daily basis and been doing so for probably at least 1½ years straight now and have at least over 300 tracks mastered, people keep saying I do it equally well as those mastered by "pros" in $20,000(+) studios...


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/26/14 at 4:43pm
post #1488 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 

I use mine to master hardstyle tracks on a pretty daily basis and been doing so for probably at least 1½ years straight now and have at least over 300 tracks mastered, people keep saying I do it equally well as those mastered by "pros" in $20,000(+) studios...

Seeing as you work in the studio, have you compared the Q40's to Focal Spirit Pro's? 

 

Thinking about giving the M-audio's a go while they are still available to buy. The only thing holding me back though are the reports in this thread of poor durability.  It would be a bummer if, for example, one of the drivers stopped working just after the warranty expired.  Having to send them abroad for repair wouldn't be fun either.

 

I listen to a lot of bass driven music- various flavours of dance music, dub etc.


Edited by BrainFood - 3/27/14 at 8:10am
post #1489 of 1644

Exactly..I cannot help but to move while listening to the Q40''s. And while there may be improvements in SQ what matters most is the sound signature. And these literally havent failed me yet. Whether its dubstep, hardstyle, or even Chillout Trance..Its midrange is so engaging to me, and im a huge fan of midrange. I used to think Westone had the best midrange but it was NEVER this clear while pushing out tons of bass..."good" bass at that. As for highs, theyre really smooth which is a plus. Not too bright or dark..very little grain if any. I recently had AKG K545 and they were too bright. But yeah, The fact that its discontinued makes no sense to me either..but hey, im prepared and buying a second pair...just in case! Ive found my headphone. :L3000:

post #1490 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post
 

Seeing as you work in the studio, have you compared the Q40's to Focal Spirit Pro's? 

 

Thinking about giving the M-audio's a go while they are still available to buy. The only thing holding me back though are the reports in this thread of poor durability.  The cable isn't an issue because I have a v-moda audio cable, but it would be a bummer if, for example, one of the drivers stopped working just after the warranty expired.  Having to send them abroad for repair wouldn't be fun either.

 

I listen to a lot of bass driven music- various flavours of dance music, dub etc.


I've read of one instance of failure.  Not saying there aren't others but on Head Fi it was unfortunately Hawaiibadboy who would have really enjoyed these low cost/high value phone.  For $150 you can't find better.  I can listen to them on my exercise bike in the garage right after listening to my TH900's and D7000's and not feel like I took a huge drop in quality.  That says it all to me. 


Edited by Oregonian - 3/26/14 at 5:26pm
post #1491 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneboi View Post
 

Exactly..I cannot help but to move while listening to the Q40''s. And while there may be improvements in SQ what matters most is the sound signature. And these literally havent failed me yet. Whether its dubstep, hardstyle, or even Chillout Trance..Its midrange is so engaging to me, and im a huge fan of midrange. I used to think Westone had the best midrange but it was NEVER this clear while pushing out tons of bass..."good" bass at that. As for highs, theyre really smooth which is a plus. Not too bright or dark..very little grain if any. I recently had AKG K545 and they were too bright. But yeah, The fact that its discontinued makes no sense to me either..but hey, im prepared and buying a second pair...just in case! Ive found my headphone. :L3000:


I feel you, that is why I love the Q40 so much, seems like we have the exact same taste as everything you've described I can 100% relate to. I don't know they managed to get such a facepounding bass yet so textured and yet the midrange/vocals/instruments so in-your-face while the highs aren't missing either. I get the ideal listening satisfaction when I get the automatic "foottapping" feel, (the people living underneath my floor tends to dub me "the washing machine" as I listen to almost only hardstyle and the bpm is almost always 150 bpm so it's always that same rythm (dunk, dunk, dunk that is heard haha).

For me this can is like made for hardstyle due to its signature and bass quality & quantity abilities (it's important with balanced midbass & subbass presence and I feel Q40 is pretty much 50% subbass and 50% midbass).

For me the list of plusses for Q40 for my needs/taste is really long:

+ Balanced midbass vs subbass presence
+ Strong yet superb bass quality
+ Mids & highs balance
+ No resonance peaks in the mids/highs
+ Midrange forwardness/quality
+ No graininess whatsoever in the highs

+ Such engaging sound

+ Good imaging
+ Decent soundstage depth

+ "Intimate" soul-inducing feeling with vocalists :)
+ Clamping force, I feel most headphones its set too loose so I don't get a secure feel :/


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/27/14 at 2:08am
post #1492 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


I've read of one instance of failure.  Not saying there aren't others but on Head Fi it was unfortunately Hawaiibadboy who would have really enjoyed these low cost/high value phone.  For $150 you can't find better.  I can listen to them on my exercise bike in the garage right after listening to my TH900's and D7000's and not feel like I took a huge drop in quality.  That says it all to me. 


 I've seen other people mention issues and now someone new in the review thread, so I think my concerns are valid.  I don't doubt you that they are good value though.

post #1493 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post
 


 I've seen other people mention issues and now someone new in the review thread, so I think my concerns are valid.  I don't doubt you that they are good value though.


No doubt they are valid.  I just think it's not a large % that are affected.  It's funny, my left outside driver cover or whatever you call it has always been "loose" and moves a bit but doesn't affect sound or make noises when playing.  Their QC is not the best it appears. 

post #1494 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
No doubt they are valid.  I just think it's not a large % that are affected.  It's funny, my left outside driver cover or whatever you call it has always been "loose" and moves a bit but doesn't affect sound or make noises when playing.  Their QC is not the best it appears. 

 

Yah, must say I'm tempted to give them a try, as I've never owned any cans that really approach basshead levels.  My other phones are mostly neutral monitoring types as well (being my preferred signature), just with less enhanced bass.

 

Hmm :popcorn: 


Edited by BrainFood - 3/27/14 at 9:06am
post #1495 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post
 

Hmm :popcorn: 

 

Ordered! :p 

 

 

Hmm, indeed :o 


Edited by BrainFood - 3/27/14 at 9:53am
post #1496 of 1644

I absolutely love these headphones. Man I'm going to die a little inside if/when they break. They just seem to cover all genres of music so well (To my novice ears anyway). 

 

They do really well with pop / kpop :D

post #1497 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

 Man I'm going to die a little inside if/when they break.

 

Let's hope not.  We might get lucky and they last for years.  At least they didn't cost an arm and a leg anyhow.:regular_smile : 


Edited by BrainFood - 3/27/14 at 10:30am
post #1498 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
 

I absolutely love these headphones. Man I'm going to die a little inside if/when they break. They just seem to cover all genres of music so well (To my novice ears anyway). 

 

They do really well with pop / kpop :D

Haha i had the same thoughts, so i decided to pick up a second pair...theyre discontinued so i dont wanna risk nott being able to find them in the future..

post #1499 of 1644
I'm not sure they're discontinued. I thought they were at one point, but now that seems not to be the case.
post #1500 of 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 


I feel you, that is why I love the Q40 so much, seems like we have the exact same taste as everything you've described I can 100% relate to. I don't know they managed to get such a facepounding bass yet so textured and yet the midrange/vocals/instruments so in-your-face while the highs aren't missing either. I get the ideal listening satisfaction when I get the automatic "foottapping" feel, (the people living underneath my floor tends to dub me "the washing machine" as I listen to almost only hardstyle and the bpm is almost always 150 bpm so it's always that same rythm (dunk, dunk, dunk that is heard haha).

For me this can is like made for hardstyle due to its signature and bass quality & quantity abilities (it's important with balanced midbass & subbass presence and I feel Q40 is pretty much 50% subbass and 50% midbass).

For me the list of plusses for Q40 for my needs/taste is really long:

+ Balanced midbass vs subbass presence
+ Strong yet superb bass quality
+ Mids & highs balance
+ No resonance peaks in the mids/highs
+ Midrange forwardness/quality
+ No graininess whatsoever in the highs

+ Such engaging sound

+ Good imaging
+ Decent soundstage depth

+ "Intimate" soul-inducing feeling with vocalists :)
+ Clamping force, I feel most headphones its set too loose so I don't get a secure feel :/

You couldnt have said it any better. Our tastes in sound is almost identical...if not. But ive noticed that this soundstage isnt as small is i thought. Its pretty wide and has some good depth honestly. There were a few songs that surprised me...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)