Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 87

post #1291 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

Something similar to the cone-shaped part of a mic stand base:

Any idea what I would need to make something like that, and where I could get it done?

Looks like something a lathe could easily do.

post #1292 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

Something similar to the cone-shaped part of a mic stand base:

 

Any idea what I would need to make something like that, and where I could get it done?

 

Sorry, but the plasma cutter I use can't cut shapes like that. The one I use can only cut 2D shapes, kinda like how a cookie cutter cut cookie dough.

What you need is a plasma cutter with a robotic arm that can move and cut on all axis.

 

And no I don't think anyone who has machines like these will give you access to it. 

The one I use are from my old work place, they make roof flashings, downspout, air ducts, risers and other stuff like that for new home constructions.

post #1293 of 1578

So my alpha pads arrived today aaaaaand. .... Holy mother of sub bass these things rumble like crazy. I never thought I would say this, but I now prefer the bass on a pair of cans more than an iem. Alpha pads also make the sound more clear a and less muffled (the only reason I never enjoyed my q40s 100%). These pads are worth every penny and then some.

post #1294 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post
 

So my alpha pads arrived today aaaaaand. .... Holy mother of sub bass these things rumble like crazy. I never thought I would say this, but I now prefer the bass on a pair of cans more than an iem. Alpha pads also make the sound more clear a and less muffled (the only reason I never enjoyed my q40s 100%). These pads are worth every penny and then some.

Totally. The bass is definitely more pronounced than stock pads (making the adjacent mids slightly recessed) but the treble is more pronounced giving them much more clarity. Not to mention that these pads are, by far, the most comfortable for the Q40. Thanks to Oregonian for finding this gem!

 

:beerchug:


Edited by Thujone - 10/29/13 at 11:48am
post #1295 of 1578
Man.... Mine still haven't arrived! Haha
post #1296 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

Sorry, but the plasma cutter I use can't cut shapes like that. The one I use can only cut 2D shapes, kinda like how a cookie cutter cut cookie dough.

What you need is a plasma cutter with a robotic arm that can move and cut on all axis.

 

And no I don't think anyone who has machines like these will give you access to it. 

The one I use are from my old work place, they make roof flashings, downspout, air ducts, risers and other stuff like that for new home constructions.

Thanks anyways, your response was actually quite helpful now that I know that a "plasma cutter" is what I need. Maybe die casting it would be easier. But even that is a lot of work, and probably more expensive than it's worth.

post #1297 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

Totally. The bass is definitely more pronounced than stock pads (making the adjacent mids slightly recessed) but the treble is more pronounced giving them much more clarity. Not to mention that these pads are, by far, the most comfortable for the Q40. Thanks to Oregonian for finding this gem!

 

:beerchug:


Glad you guys like them as much as I do.  I now have Alpha pads on four headphones and considering one more....................

post #1298 of 1578

Hi Guys,


Just got them! Plugged them into my iPod, and they didn't sound half bad at all. the bass is definitely there and prominent. More so than my WS99's, which I'm most definitely pleased about! 

 

Haven't found a gripe with fit issues and all, perhaps due to them previously being owned, and the owner may or may not have already stretched them out. I can't really tell. But earpads aren't too uncomfortable on me, similar to the WS99's in that they can get irritating after a while, but for short listening periods its fine.

 

The cable I can tell is going to crap out on me. I swivled around on my cheer, and the connection was slightly lost so i can see this happening moreso in the future.

 

So far sound wise, I'm impressed. Definitely wasn't disappointed upon recieving these headphones thats for sure! The sound is somewhat satisfying. Finally getting my basshead needs! But I'm still curious to see what something like the Digizoid could do to change that.

 

For the $70 I paid, I'm more than happy! 

 

Thanks for all the opinions guys, really was worth it in the end

 

I'll give them a better listening session. I may or may not be back ;)

post #1299 of 1578

Wow, all I can say is my basshead needs are being fully met!
I've plugged them into my budget as reciever to give them a little boost, definitely gives it more volume and impact! Loving just chilling and listening to my music! Haven't had issues at all with comfort to be honest! I'm loving these more than my WS99's, although they are defective as of now, some driver issue... 

I paid $180 for those WS99's, and I'm loving these $70 headphones more! Hahaha, man....

 

Pads.... Comfort ain't an issue, but I wouldn't mind seeing what pads may do to the sound? I'm more curious than in need of pads.

 

Cords! I need a better cord, this thing's connection doesn't sit right all the time! Or would that be the jack itself being faulty? Not to sure, all I know is that its cut out on me a few times here and there! Definitely annoying, thats for sure.

post #1300 of 1578
I'm the same regarding comfort. I only switched pads to see the difference in the sound. Tried hifiman, hm5, and lastly the alphas. I would have to say if you are going to switch pads jump straight to the alphas. The other pads are going to take away the o so lovely bass on these babies.

Just a warning, if you go from alphas and try to revert back to stock, the stock pads magically become uncomfortable lol.
post #1301 of 1578

The stock pads never really bothered me either that's why getting new pads isn't a big priority right now.

post #1302 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post

Wow, all I can say is my basshead needs are being fully met!

I've plugged them into my budget as reciever to give them a little boost, definitely gives it more volume and impact! Loving just chilling and listening to my music! Haven't had issues at all with comfort to be honest! I'm loving these more than my WS99's, although they are defective as of now, some driver issue... 


I paid $180 for those WS99's, and I'm loving these $70 headphones more! Hahaha, man....

Pads.... Comfort ain't an issue, but I wouldn't mind seeing what pads may do to the sound? I'm more curious than in need of pads.

Cords! I need a better cord, this thing's connection doesn't sit right all the time! Or would that be the jack itself being faulty? Not to sure, all I know is that its cut out on me a few times here and there! Definitely annoying, thats for sure.

Try the $12 V-Moda audio only cable. Much better than that stock POS.
post #1303 of 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnom View Post
 

Wow, all I can say is my basshead needs are being fully met!
I've plugged them into my budget as reciever to give them a little boost, definitely gives it more volume and impact! Loving just chilling and listening to my music! Haven't had issues at all with comfort to be honest! I'm loving these more than my WS99's, although they are defective as of now, some driver issue... 

I paid $180 for those WS99's, and I'm loving these $70 headphones more! Hahaha, man....

 

Pads.... Comfort ain't an issue, but I wouldn't mind seeing what pads may do to the sound? I'm more curious than in need of pads.

 

Cords! I need a better cord, this thing's connection doesn't sit right all the time! Or would that be the jack itself being faulty? Not to sure, all I know is that its cut out on me a few times here and there! Definitely annoying, thats for sure.


Have you ever heard the ws55...? if so does the ws99 have that bassline thump that really kicks in when basslines come in to play...?

post #1304 of 1578
I've had both ws99 and ws55, and both of them are a waste of time if you are a bass head imo. The bass on both cans is average at best, but the ws55 are just awful overall sq. Ws99 is a lot better, but not bass head worthy at all. There is no feeling to the bass on either can just bass you can hear. If you want bass from audio technical try the es 10 (on ears fyi) or the pro700mk2
post #1305 of 1578

Then you are out of your mind dude the ws55 is even better in fun factor then the q40 and that says  a lot but we are all different :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)