Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 86

post #1276 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

Wow, how did you do that? It looks very professional, indistinguishable from something that came from the factory like that. I see you haven't replaced the pads though. And bass vents would need to be tuned... you can't just throw one on and expect it to work well.

I was using  the HE400 pleather pads until I did the jergpad mod to it and sold it with my HE400, and since I rarely use the Q40 anymore I didn't bother buying new pads for it. 

 

As for the vents I did kinda tune it. I glued a sheet of acoustic speaker cloth to all 3 holes and covered one of the hole completely with a thick layer of foam. I only tested a few songs but it sounds really good the way it is right now. 

post #1277 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

Quick question, was that chrome outer ring always on the s500? Or is that your work?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/7515#post_9894023

 

I had to modify it to fit properly. 

post #1278 of 1566

Damn I was hoping that it would have be a pre cut part available somewhere for purchase. I would have ordered some and taken it to a shop to see if they would install it for me. I havea feeling that chrome would look good on the q40's.

post #1279 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

I'm sad to say I haven't been using my Q40 lately, so I decided to do a few cosmetic mod to spice things up.

 

The result.

 

 

The rest of the M-Audio logo will be carbon fiber soon. :smile:

 

 

 

When I removed the plate grille thingy I noticed the 3 holes that was holding it was pretty big. After I covered them up the sound changed, so I drilled 3 holes on bottom to compensate. Best thing about this is I can adjust the sound/bass to my preference by covering up the holes.

 

My next mod is to recable it and change it to a detachable dual entry system. I'm not digging the screw in method. This way I can get an equal size cable to both drivers.

Holy carp dude! I love my Q40's so much i want to do something similar. They already look badass...but what you have done here is just beautiful. 

Do you have a build thread or a description of what exactly you did?

post #1280 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post
 

Holy carp dude! I love my Q40's so much i want to do something similar. They already look badass...but what you have done here is just beautiful. 

Do you have a build thread or a description of what exactly you did?

 

 I don't think a thread is necessary, it's not that hard to do this little cosmetic upgrade. It just depends on what quality you're aiming for and what kind of tools are available to you. I don't do anything half-ass so I did it the hard way. Here's a quick summary.

 

- Open the headphone and unclip the 3 tabs to remove the grille thingy.  There's no glue or anything so it should pop right out.    

 

- Now you have a few options on what kind of material you want to use. I have access to industrial sheet metal equipment so I used a CNC plasma cutter to cut a new 2 3/4 inch plate than I used a sheer to cut a quarter inch strip for the red ring. I used a roller to shape the quarter inch strip into shape. Both are 28 gauge galvanized sheet metal. Last step is to sand primer and paint.

If you don't have access to sheet metal equipment you can still do all this by hand since all the materials can be bought at home depot. I wanted a clean professional look so took the extra step to ensure all my cuts and fabrications are straight and clean by using sheet metal equipment. 

 

- I used a drill press with quarter drill bit to make the vents, and covered the holes with acoustic cloth. 

 

It's a pretty simple mod, and like I said earlier you can use different materials like vinyl and get similar result. 

 

Up next is a mod that I hope will improve sound quality. I'm going open the back of the cup so it'll be open like an open back headphone than I'm going to extend the cup by 1/8 of an inch by adding an aluminum alloy cup.


Edited by RoMee - 10/23/13 at 1:28pm
post #1281 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

 

 I don't think a thread is necessary, it's not that hard to do this little cosmetic upgrade. It just depends on what quality you're aiming for and what kind of tools are available to you. I don't do anything half-ass so I did it the hard way. Here's a quick summary.

 

- Open the headphone and unclip the 3 tabs to remove the grille thingy.  There's no glue or anything so it should pop right out.    

 

- Now you have a few options on what kind of material you want to use. I have access to industrial sheet metal equipment so I used a CNC plasma cutter to cut a new 2 3/4 inch plate than I used a sheer to cut a quarter inch strip for the red ring. I used a roller to shape the quarter inch strip into shape. Both are 28 gauge galvanized sheet metal. Last step is to sand primer and paint.

If you don't have access to sheet metal equipment you can still do all this by hand since all the materials can be bought at home depot. I wanted a clean professional look so took the extra step to ensure all my cuts and fabrications are straight and clean by using sheet metal equipment. 

 

- I used a drill press with quarter drill bit to make the vents, and covered the holes with acoustic cloth. 

 

It's a pretty simple mod, and like I said earlier you can use different materials like vinyl and get similar result. 

 

Up next is a mod that I hope will improve sound quality. I'm going open the back of the cup so it'll be open like an open back headphone than I'm going to extend the cup by 1/8 of an inch by adding an aluminum alloy cup.

 

 

haha what?

 

Okay i trust you.

post #1282 of 1566

Let me try that again.

I use this..

 

..to cut this.

 

 

Than I use this..

 

 

.. to cut this.

 

 

Than I use this to make the 1/4 inch strip of sheet metal into that red ring.

 

 

Than just sand, primer, paint and install. 

 

Done :D

 

I know not everyone has access to these equipment but like I said you can buy the sheet metal and stuff from home depot, the only tools you'll need is a snip to cut the sheet metal and maybe a dremel to grind and smooth out the rough edges.

 

Pictures of the snips I use.

post #1283 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

Let me try that again.

I use this..

 

..to cut this.

 

 

Than I use this..

 

 

.. to cut this.

 

 

Than I use this to make the 1/4 inch strip of sheet metal into that red ring.

 

 

Than just sand, primer, paint and install. 

 

Done :D

 

I know not everyone has access to these equipment but like I said you can buy the sheet metal and stuff from home depot, the only tools you'll need is a snip to cut the sheet metal and maybe a dremel to grind and smooth out the rough edges.

 

Pictures of the snips I use.

 

 

LOL. Thanks.

 

I think i will skip this mod. But damn you have done a fine job. Much praise!

post #1284 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post
 

 

 

LOL. Thanks.

 

I think i will skip this mod. But damn you have done a fine job. Much praise!

Thanks!

I love the way it turned out, and this little project reignited my love for this headphone.

 

 

Like I said, the only reason why I did it this way was so i can get a clean and straight cut and I had access to the equipment, but this mod can easily be done (if you're adventurous enough) with a few hand tools.


Edited by RoMee - 10/23/13 at 3:07pm
post #1285 of 1566
Um I think we're gonna need you to start a q40 nodding business lol. If there is some way to get that chrome ring on the q40, I'm throwing my money at you lol (but serious at the same time)
post #1286 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

Um I think we're gonna need you to start a q40 nodding business lol. If there is some way to get that chrome ring on the q40, I'm throwing my money at you lol (but serious at the same time)

I know they look bad ass don't they?

post #1287 of 1566

@RoMee does your equipment only work with sheet metal? I need a simple metal object made, but it would be a solid chunk of metal, not a sheet. It's not headphone-related but it is somewhat audio-related :) 

post #1288 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

 


You think of selling this to your Q40 brethren? 

post #1289 of 1566
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

 

@RoMee does your equipment only work with sheet metal? I need a simple metal object made, but it would be a solid chunk of metal, not a sheet. It's not headphone-related but it is somewhat audio-related " src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/smily_headphones1.gif" /> 



It's not my equipment, I just have access to it.


It would also depend on how thick it is.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

 



You think of selling this to your Q40 brethren? 



Sorry, it's just for fun.


Edited by RoMee - 10/29/13 at 9:41am
post #1290 of 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

@RoMee does your equipment only work with sheet metal? I need a simple metal object made, but it would be a solid chunk of metal, not a sheet. It's not headphone-related but it is somewhat audio-related <img data-cke-saved-src=

 

It's not my equipment, I just have access to it.

 

It would also depend on how thick it is.

Something similar to the cone-shaped part of a mic stand base:

Any idea what I would need to make something like that, and where I could get it done?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)