Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Page 69

post #1021 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Oh, you like the Shures more? Any specific reasons for that? I would rather get the best of the best sound wise.

I found the HiFiMans to be just slightly harder than the Shure pads, which seem to be buttery soft. If you have large ears the HiFiMan have a larger opening.

One thing with both these replacements - they install best over the ear cup instead of squeezing the edge between the very narrow gap. You will see. And with the HiFiMan the looks are good, and look like they are factory. The Shure has white stitching which then become visible. I don't think it looks bad but mentioning it for a FYI. Oh, and the Shure costs $14 here in the US.

I have posted these pics earlier so go back and look at the difference in the two pads. The last point is the HiFiMan pads need no additional spacer (such as paper towel) as their depth is good.

Let me know what you think when they arrive.
post #1022 of 1608

I don't care about the appearence or even comfort as much as the sound. I'm worried that they may be too deep and cause mids to sound slightly distant as I found when testing deepening pads. Shures if they are more shallow may work better for me possibly.

post #1023 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

I don't care about the appearence or even comfort as much as the sound. I'm worried that they may be too deep and cause mids to sound slightly distant as I found when testing deepening pads. Shures if they are more shallow may work better for me possibly.

Try them both. I think the Shures are more shallow.
post #1024 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Try them both. I think the Shures are more shallow.

 

I might have to concider as estimated delivery date for the Hifiman pads is set to 22th May x_X Are they shipping the pads by foot? :P

 

But I may not even keep Q40 for much longer in case I'd like the WS99 for example or in the near future the new full sized CNT JVCs or possibly NAD Viso HP50 but I guess it doesn't hurt to have various extra pads as they are likely to also fit quite a few future purchases as well.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 5/6/13 at 5:58am
post #1025 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

I might have to concider as estimated delivery date for the Hifiman pads is set to 22th May x_X Are they shipping the pads by foot? :P

 

But I may not even keep Q40 for much longer in case I'd like the WS99 for example or in the near future the new full sized CNT JVCs or possibly NAD Viso HP50 but I guess it doesn't hurt to have various extra pads as they are likely to also fit quite a few future purchases as well.


So you're not like me, collecting phones regardless of whether you keep finding new ones to try?  I have 9 now............though to be honest I have four different listening areas that I keep my primaries at. 

post #1026 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


So you're not like me, collecting phones regardless of whether you keep finding new ones to try?  I have 9 now............though to be honest I have four different listening areas that I keep my primaries at. 

 

Nah, I prefer just one option I like the most, I also listen only at home at my computer. However I don't sell products I really have enjoyed in the past so XB500, HTF600 and Q40 for example are headphones I won't sell but I meant that I don't like buying extra pads worth 50% in total of the cost of the headphone itself for a headphone I may possibly just continue using for 2-3 more months only. I'm the cheap guy that prefer having a use for what I pay for and always try to get them nice "bang-for-buck" options etc so even if $20 for some pads isn't much per se but for ~$50 for two pads for a headphone I paid like $120 for that I may still use only a couple of months is why I don't like buying bunch of extra pads. 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 5/6/13 at 6:58am
post #1027 of 1608

How do they do with 128 - 320 kbps music? Are they any fun to listen to? 

post #1028 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post

How do they do with 128 - 320 kbps music? Are they any fun to listen to? 

They aren't bright so they're not as unforgiving as more analytical headphones. But Youtube or anything below 128 sounds terrible on these, even when they sound fine on speakers. But that's true of any relatively high quality can.

post #1029 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

They aren't bright so they're not as unforgiving as more analytical headphones. But Youtube or anything below 128 sounds terrible on these, even when they sound fine on speakers. But that's true of any relatively high quality can.

How do they sound with something like this? 

post #1030 of 1608

The highest bitrate YouTube can have on audio is 192 kbps.

post #1031 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

The highest bitrate YouTube can have on audio is 192 kbps.

Yeah, but how does the voice of that guy sound on that video on HD settings?

post #1032 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post

Yeah, but how does the voice of that guy sound on that video on HD settings?

Better than on 240....? I honestly can't tell if you are trolling or not. We have confirmed that the audio bitrate (on 720p) is mediocre at best (192 kbps if we're lucky). Not only that, but this is just a single person talking, which narrows us down to the frequency range of said voice. If you are only interested in whether or not you'll be able to hear someone's voice at 192 kbps, I'm sure you have headphones around the house for that sort of thing.

post #1033 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

Better than on 240....? I honestly can't tell if you are trolling or not. We have confirmed that the audio bitrate (on 720p) is mediocre at best (192 kbps if we're lucky). Not only that, but this is just a single person talking, which narrows us down to the frequency range of said voice. If you are only interested in whether or not you'll be able to hear someone's voice at 192 kbps, I'm sure you have headphones around the house for that sort of thing.

Alright. So I read the review of MalVeauX of the Q40's, and he said they were really comfortable with the DT770's pads. But how comfortable are they with SRH-840 pads? (I have a averaged sized head and small ears). BTW, I wasn't trolling.

post #1034 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post

Alright. So I read the review of MalVeauX of the Q40's, and he said they were really comfortable with the DT770's pads. But how comfortable are they with SRH-840 pads? (I have a averaged sized head and small ears). BTW, I wasn't trolling.


I think they are as comfortable with the Shure 840 pads as the velours.  Well, almost.  But the sound quality is better.................and I can wear them for hours now when the stock pads made me want to rip the phones off my head within a half hour.   The HiFiMan leather pads are almost as comfy as the Shures but not quite. 

post #1035 of 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


I think they are as comfortable with the Shure 840 pads as the velours.  Well, almost.  But the sound quality is better.................and I can wear them for hours now when the stock pads made me want to rip the phones off my head within a half hour.   The HiFiMan leather pads are almost as comfy as the Shures but not quite. 

But the 840 pads do fit the Q40 well right? I mean, they aren't too big or too small for the headphones? I can get the Q40's with the 840 pads for €169,- ($220). Are they worth that?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)