Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions? - Page 9

post #121 of 168
I want to clarify the MKV for those who are looking around. The MKV is all about purity of signal. Dual mono design and the components that are used in it are for maintaining the purity of the source signal. It isn't built to "blast" your cans off of your head with tons of power. The concern of some has been "does it have enough power?" and is a legitimate question. So, I'll clarify in hopes of a better understanding.

The MKV is super clean. Give it a clean source and you'll have a clean amplified signal out the headphone jack. It has enough power to drive Senn HD-650s to the point of pain (not recommended) but more importantly, it has plenty of power in reserve for the DYNAMICS of the music you want to listen too. Even at the quietest volume setting, if a subterranean bass note hits, you will hear all of it. If a cymbal crash happens, you'll hear all of it. This is all about clean power to drive the dynamics properly, not blast your beer bottle open. This is a different "school" of amplifier design than most of the amps you read about here on HeadFi, so they are misunderstood and assumptions happen based upon generalities made from reading other amps reviews.

Why is the MKV good? Well it goes something like this: Do you like solid state amplification? You do, ok, well, do you like to preserve the original source signal and hear it amplified unchanged? You do, ok, well, do you like to ALWAYS hear full dynamics no matter what volume setting you are using? You do, ok, then you should consider the MKV.

When I first saw the specs for the MKV I knew right away I wanted one. But Penchum is a "rocker"! Why would he want one? Well, I wanted one because there is nothing better (too me) than listening to my favorite tracks, at a volume that doesn't hurt and having my world "Rocked" by the dynamics of the music. Think of the rock group Rush. They create dynamics in their music that are huge compared to most other types of music! The MKV loves their music.

Why is it difficult to decide between two different types of amps, like the MKIVse and the MKV? This is basically simple. They don't really compete with each other. One is about purity of amplification (MKV) and the other is about warm, lush tube qualities for your music (MKIVse). Truly, they compliment each other and for the first time at this price point, allow the average HeadFi'er a chance to go either direction (Purity vs Tube) without breaking the bank, or spending thousands. In the end, it comes down to "what you want" for your music pleasure.

I hope this helps some. It is the best way I could describe things on short notice. I'm tired and my pills are starting to kick in, so I'll type more later if needed.
post #122 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Alright, so it still uses those tubes after all. Read somebody who ordered a Mk4SE recently and got 6H30Pi + M8100, this was on the Little Tube forum, and I think the date was sometime in december 2007.

I wasn´t thinking of replacing the tubes in it, just worried about spares when those will be needed
No problem. I saw that one too! The owner has the MKIV standard with upgraded tubes in it from LD. Many people have done this "upgrade tube" on the standard thinking they have the equivalent of the MKIVse. So, when they talk about it, they call their amp the MKIVse. DavidZ is sharp and looks them up first before replying and talks about exactly what they received. To us, it looks all weird and wrong.

Back to the real MKIVse. Tubes. There are 3 types of power tubes from 6 different manufactures I know of. There are 2 types of driver tubes from 5 different manufactures I know of. Some are hard to find or expensive when you do, but worth it sonically and the others are usually 5 packs or matched sets. There is a whole "new" bunch starting to show itself that are "during WWII" manufactured tubes. I don't have those figured out just yet, but I'm interested!
post #123 of 168
using 2 mk v to drive a pair of speaker, you can see how much power output the mkv is capable of. mr yang said it can output a max of 2w,my mkv can drive a 600 ohm headphone with ease.
also notice the source, it's the linn cdp. like penchum said, this is a very neutral sounding amp, if you feed it good source it will just amplify it for you.
post #124 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivan View Post
using 2 mk v to drive a pair of speaker, you can see how much power output the mkv is capable of. mr yang said it can output a max of 2w,my mkv can drive a 600 ohm headphone with ease.
also notice the source, it's the linn cdp. like penchum said, this is a very neutral sounding amp, if you feed it good source it will just amplify it for you.
Very interesting rig
post #125 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
No problem. I saw that one too! The owner has the MKIV standard with upgraded tubes in it from LD. Many people have done this "upgrade tube" on the standard thinking they have the equivalent of the MKIVse. So, when they talk about it, they call their amp the MKIVse. DavidZ is sharp and looks them up first before replying and talks about exactly what they received. To us, it looks all weird and wrong.

Back to the real MKIVse. Tubes. There are 3 types of power tubes from 6 different manufactures I know of. There are 2 types of driver tubes from 5 different manufactures I know of. Some are hard to find or expensive when you do, but worth it sonically and the others are usually 5 packs or matched sets. There is a whole "new" bunch starting to show itself that are "during WWII" manufactured tubes. I don't have those figured out just yet, but I'm interested!
Just got a mail from David saying that the newest version of Mk4SE uses Electro-Harmonix 6H30PI power tubes and Mullard M8100 driver tubes. So it would seem that they have changed it.
post #126 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Just got a mail from David saying that the newest version of Mk4SE uses Electro-Harmonix 6H30PI power tubes and Mullard M8100 driver tubes. So it would seem that they have changed it.
Wow! That would be a change then. I'll see if he's confirmed it yet. I just got back home.
post #127 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
No problem. I saw that one too! The owner has the MKIV standard with upgraded tubes in it from LD. Many people have done this "upgrade tube" on the standard thinking they have the equivalent of the MKIVse. So, when they talk about it, they call their amp the MKIVse. DavidZ is sharp and looks them up first before replying and talks about exactly what they received. To us, it looks all weird and wrong.

Back to the real MKIVse. Tubes. There are 3 types of power tubes from 6 different manufactures I know of. There are 2 types of driver tubes from 5 different manufactures I know of. Some are hard to find or expensive when you do, but worth it sonically and the others are usually 5 packs or matched sets. There is a whole "new" bunch starting to show itself that are "during WWII" manufactured tubes. I don't have those figured out just yet, but I'm interested!
You're kidding yourself if you think a few connector upgrades on the se will make it much better than an mk4 with the same tubes as the se. Most people wouldn't even notice any difference
post #128 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think a few connector upgrades on the se will make it much better than an mk4 with the same tubes as the se. Most people wouldn't even notice any difference
No, I'm not joking myself. It had a completely different motherboard and different componants to handle the higher voltage tube set, than the MKIV Standard had (at that time). Give me a break Classic! Now they have changed again, so news at 11:00. Did you sell your MKIV yet? If not, maybe one of these guys would be interested??
post #129 of 168

MKIVse Changes

I will find out what all was involved in this latest change, what it means in the way of tube selections and any other differences and amend the review to show the latest combination and other considerations.
post #130 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
No, I'm not joking myself. It had a completely different motherboard and different componants to handle the higher voltage tube set, than the MKIV Standard had (at that time). Give me a break Classic! Now they have changed again, so news at 11:00. Did you sell your MKIV yet? If not, maybe one of these guys would be interested??
Ya sold it, I liked the detail, soundstage and power but the base and high's just didnt please me. M^3 is awsome though.

I won't believe there is any markable difference in sound between the se and the regular mk4 with se tubes. Unless of course someone that isn't trying to endorse the product compares both of them side by side and actually finds noticeable differences.
post #131 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 View Post
Ya sold it, I liked the detail, soundstage and power but the base and high's just didnt please me. M^3 is awsome though.

I won't believe there is any markable difference in sound between the se and the regular mk4 with se tubes. Unless of course someone that isn't trying to endorse the product compares both of them side by side and actually finds noticeable differences.
Well, when I was getting ready to purchase, I inquired about the two and asked what the perceived differences were. It was enough to make my purchase the se, but I haven't had a chance to hear the standard either. Glad to hear you sold it. TTYL.
post #132 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Just got a mail from David saying that the newest version of Mk4SE uses Electro-Harmonix 6H30PI power tubes and Mullard M8100 driver tubes. So it would seem that they have changed it.
I got an email from DavidZ this evening, and he said the person buying the MKIVse could choose either one of the two combinations! He said they did this because it was getting hard to locate and maintain a stock of the E182CC & 408A's.
So, I replied back to find out if this is a "hard wire change" or something else. I'll post it up as soon as I know.
post #133 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
I got an email from DavidZ this evening, and he said the person buying the MKIVse could choose either one of the two combinations! He said they did this because it was getting hard to locate and maintain a stock of the E182CC & 408A's.
So, I replied back to find out if this is a "hard wire change" or something else. I'll post it up as soon as I know.
Oh that´s nice!

Would be awsome to have a E182CC + 408A version, because to me it seems to be more "exclusive" that just 6H30Pi (which I already had in my ordinary Mk4) and M8100.

Though I´m worried about finding the good WE 408A's if I would go for that version, seems to be hard to find, had a look on eBay and found 2 guys selling them but both of them were just selling 1 tube, not a pair

So maybe getting a 6H30Pi + M8100 isn´t all bad after all, much easier finding tubes for that one.
post #134 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT View Post
Oh that´s nice!

Would be awsome to have a E182CC + 408A version, because to me it seems to be more "exclusive" that just 6H30Pi (which I already had in my ordinary Mk4) and M8100.

Though I´m worried about finding the good WE 408A's if I would go for that version, seems to be hard to find, had a look on eBay and found 2 guys selling them but both of them were just selling 1 tube, not a pair

So maybe getting a 6H30Pi + M8100 isn´t all bad after all, much easier finding tubes for that one.
I have found that it is easy to get E182CC (5687s) most of the time, and it is feast or famine for the 408A's. It will be like it is now, almost none, then WHAM, many too choose from for 1 week. So, I made a default search for them and have eBay email me what 408A's get posted daily so I'll know when to jump on some.
post #135 of 168
for the 408a, does it sound different with the GE Brand?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MKV available! Any Info/Opinions?