Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › At last: Xin’s Reference is here. Lots of pictures.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

At last: Xin’s Reference is here. Lots of pictures. - Page 3

post #31 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl00r View Post
Did you ever hear a Xin?
Well no... I can't be bothered waiting a year for something that I believe won't be worth the wait.

The only reason why I would wait that long for an amp is if it does sound AMAZINGLY good, like better than all the big amps like the Mapletree Ear+ and the expensive Meir ones. Surely it can't be that good?

The SuperMicro IV was reviewed in the Skylabs portable amp roundup and didn't do that well. Why wait ages for that when you could just get the Hornet or the Tomahawk which according to Skylab sound better?
post #32 of 112
I have heard a couple of the amps Skylab rated much higher than the Micro and I do not agree with his rating. There will always be a difference of opinions. To me the Micro was more open, detailed and airy than the SR71.
post #33 of 112
I guess his site needs to be updated since he went away from the 4-channel design. What sounds best is what everyone wants I think but what is best has always been a very personal thing. Maybe he finally decided on what his house sound needs to be.
post #34 of 112
His 4 channel design was the Super Macro IV. The Reference was not meant to be this though there were some back and forth desings. There are pros and cons on the 4 channel design. I have no idea what the Super Macro line will end up being.
post #35 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
You can read about this on his web site...It still may not be understandable though.

"With my 4-channel technology, not only are the left and right channels separated like the dual-mono structure found in high-end home amps, so are the front and end stages, like the pre-power amps found in top-end home systems. These separations ensure the untouched, cleanest sound possible, even at very large signal swings. This is so far the most effective way to produce the best sound."

This design came out of his and others using two of his amps together one feeding on set of signals into another one. One being the pre-power amp while the second being the power amp. I never did any of this type testing myself but I just have the beta Reference with the 22,000 cap and it is very very good.
Thanks for trying to explain it, but like you said it's not crystal clear. Can it be dual mono when left and right ground are wired together in the plug to the phones? Pre-/power amp, it sounds like he used separate loops in the input and output stage instead of the hyped Jung multiloop.

Please look at the opamps in the Reference, what do they say, or has he removed the brandings?
post #36 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraseyboy View Post
Well no... I can't be bothered waiting a year for something that I believe won't be worth the wait.

The only reason why I would wait that long for an amp is if it does sound AMAZINGLY good, like better than all the big amps like the Mapletree Ear+ and the expensive Meir ones. Surely it can't be that good?

The SuperMicro IV was reviewed in the Skylabs portable amp roundup and didn't do that well. Why wait ages for that when you could just get the Hornet or the Tomahawk which according to Skylab sound better?
We all have different ears, I find that what I look for in an amp is not the same that skylab does. This does not make either of us wrong or right, we just have different expectations as well as different gear and EARS.

In my opinion the Supermicro IV is the 2nd best amp, with the Reference being better. Just remember some like chocolate and others vanilla, both are great flavors.

BTW, here is a picture of the 2nd board I received for the Beta Reference I have (May 2007). It has a 15,000 uF capacitor.

post #37 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
I have heard a couple of the amps Skylab rated much higher than the Micro and I do not agree with his rating. There will always be a difference of opinions. To me the Micro was more open, detailed and airy than the SR71.
well his rating did mentioned customer service, to which i'm sure we all agree with. but in terms of sq and value alone, i'd also agree with u, jamato, cuz the reference at $279 now is better than the $400 (brand new) hornet.
post #38 of 112
That's true, but its not X > 9 months greater than a brand new hornet.
post #39 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusX View Post
Xin long ago stated that the goal of the Reference was to use the simplest circuit with the shortest traces, so what you're seeing, or in your case, not seeing, only reinforces the intended goal of his design.
Assembling is one thing. Research and development are quite another. You are confusing the two.

I was aiming at sarcasm and irony. Guess I didn't make it. I know he does tons of research and development, since I own two of his amps and have opened them often. It just seems to me they--the SM III and SM IV LE--appear to be more of a complex build than this simple Reference. So in an attempt at sarcasm/irony I was asking why this seemingly simple design has taken so long to get into consumers' hands.
post #40 of 112
I used to work with zoos and institutions. I dealt in reptiles and some of those were poisonous. In my work and studies I came across the fact that some poisonous snakes are becoming less poisonous because part of the use of poison is not to kill but to inflict pain so a potential predator would learn not to try and use them as food and this would be passed along. This has taken quite a long time to evolve, going from more complex to less in the state of the venom. Hundreds of thousands of years have passed, be glad that the Reference going from from complex to more simple is not related to snake venom. Or I guess you feel you have waited that long you could nick name the amp the Asp.
post #41 of 112
How can you tell which way the batteries are supposed to be inserted?I notice - + Neg & Pos markings on both sides near the contacts.
post #42 of 112
The batteries are in series so you are going to have pos and neg alternating.
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
The batteries are in series so you are going to have pos and neg alternating.
Thank you,I ordered the same amp this month and am waiting I hope mine has the mini and 1/4 jacks to!
I am not that technical as some of you,but are you saying that it dosen't matter which way the batteries are inserted?
post #44 of 112
No, I am not saying that. There are indicators on the inside that show you where the positive end would be and the negative end. These markers are on the bottom and top so there are four markers for the four batteries.

If you want 1/4 and 1/8 jacks you need to make sure you have ordered it that way.
post #45 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
No, I am not saying that. There are indicators on the inside that show you where the positive end would be and the negative end. These markers are on the bottom and top so there are four markers for the four batteries.

If you want 1/4 and 1/8 jacks you need to make sure you have ordered it that way.
Thank you for the information!I guess mine will probably be just the standard mini.I forgot to order mine with the1/4 in.But any way My long waite just started 1 week and counting.LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › At last: Xin’s Reference is here. Lots of pictures.