Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Headamp... 3months of waiting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headamp... 3months of waiting - Page 3

post #31 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
I'm already paying over $4,000, so the answer is yes. A few hundred more would be fine if it got my amp here on time... I was supposed to have it by now, and the last time I talked to Justin he said it probably wouldn't even be here in January.
Why not?
post #32 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
Why not?
He says he's waiting for the enclosures.
post #33 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
He says he's waiting for the enclosures.
How would assistant help with that?
post #34 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
How would assistant help with that?
Good point. However, once the enclosures arrive, it would be nice if there were an assistant who could tighten the screws and other basic stuff while Justin works on another amp.

Whenever you see any posts like this, there are always people who say "Well, it's just one person." I think they are right; I have friends whose businesses never really took off because they didn't want to hire help. It was always an issue of overhead for them; I tried to convince them that in the long run this would be offset by the fact that they could get better turnover and stop focusing on minutiae. For example, I have a friend who sells rare live corals for saltwater tanks. The mark-up on these is huge, so the potential for profit is there; I know some other people who do it and make a decent living. However, my friend spends half of his time doing water changes, feeding the fish, mopping the floor, etc., so instead of hustling his stuff online, he's doing stuff that somebody would do for $10 an hour. The $80 a day he'd spend could be paid for by two sales and would allow him to turn over ten times the amount of product.
post #35 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
The $80 a day he'd spend could be paid for by two sales and would allow him to turn over ten times the amount of product.
Hmm, I dont think hiring an assistant would make him 5 times more productive.
post #36 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinp6301 View Post
Hmm, I dont think hiring an assistant would make him 5 times more productive.
I was referring specifically to my friend; it's a different situation, but I'm sure an assistant would help Justin (and pretty much every amp maker since none of them seem to have one) to some extent.
post #37 of 152
Earwicker7,

I e-mailed Justin about the KGBH SE I ordered and he said hopefully construction would begin in January if the cases were made. The fact is, everyone warned you that this is the way Justin operates. He is honest and does great work. Either you accept it or ask for your deposit back; I believe it is refundable. I would not do business like this, but human beings differ and this is the way it is. My life will not be seriously hurt if this thing never shows up.

Alt,

Concerning Revelation Audio:

I did a great deal of business with Brad several years ago. He was maybe off by a week or two in his estimates, but nothing like the delay you are having now. A close friend of mine and a good customer of Brad's lost his temper with the delay in his order. As I stated to earwicker7, we all have choices.
post #38 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman View Post
Earwicker7,

I e-mailed Justin about the KGBH SE I ordered and he said hopefully construction would being in January if the cases were made. The fact is, everyone warned you that this is the way Justin operates. He is honest and does great work. Either you accept it or ask for your deposit back; I believe it is refundable. I would not do business like this, but human beings differ and this is the way it is. My life will not be seriously hurt if this thing never shows up.

Alt,

Concerning Revelation Audio:

I did a great deal of business with Brad several years ago. He was maybe off by a week or two in his estimates, but nothing like the delay you are having now. A close friend of mine and a good customer of Brad's lost his temper with the delay in his order. As I stated to earwicker7, we all have choices.
I'm definitely going to wait for the amp, I'm not asking for my money back, and as I've said many times, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. As I pointed out earlier, I'm not trying to single Justin out, and if that's the way it's come across, I'd like to say "Sorry" to him, as he seems like a nice guy and his product has a reputation for being one of the best.

I'm just venting about the fact that throughout the hi-fi industry it is very common to see posts similar to the OP, and the answer is always the same--"He's just one guy." All I'm saying is that these people should hire assistants. Please don't read anything else into it.
post #39 of 152
i don't like where this thread is going. I canceled my GSX order and was refunded promptly; i found a better deal during my wait time. I was willing to drop $2000 that couldve been someone else's. I have nothing against headamp; i think their products are great and well worth the wait (if you can wait). Maybe it's not about the money/revenue to headamp, just a quality amp being produced.

I wonder if i couldve sold my GLite for 550...or even more expensive than a new one
post #40 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
I'm definitely going to wait for the amp, I'm not asking for my money back, and as I've said many times, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. As I pointed out earlier, I'm not trying to single Justin out, and if that's the way it's come across, I'd like to say "Sorry" to him, as he seems like a nice guy and his product has a reputation for being one of the best.

I'm just venting about the fact that throughout the hi-fi industry it is very common to see posts similar to the OP, and the answer is always the same--"He's just one guy." All I'm saying is that these people should hire assistants. Please don't read anything else into it.
I can't think of anything an assistant would do for me...what I am doing is having more circuit boards professionally assembled, ordering more parts at one time if affordable, and working with a much better enclosure finishing company that combines 3 vendors into 1. I used them for the Pico with great results and the KGBH SE is next in line to be finished by them. While this isn't any help with the GS-1/GS-X that are made differently, I expect there will be very little wait for those too in the near future. With the above improvements I should be doing much less building of amps in "waves" when I receive a long awaited component, with the exception of new product pre-orders.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #41 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
I can't think of anything an assistant would do for me...what I am doing is having more circuit boards professionally assembled, ordering more parts at one time if affordable, and working with a much better enclosure finishing company that combines 3 vendors into 1. I used them for the Pico with great results and the KGBH SE is next in line to be finished by them. While this isn't any help with the GS-1/GS-X that are made differently, I expect there will be very little wait for those too in the near future. With the above improvements I should be doing much less building of amps in "waves" when I receive a long awaited component, with the exception of new product pre-orders.
Hey, Justin. Thanks for the answer! I certainly respect where you're coming from, so sorry if I got a bit touchy before, it wasn't the way I was wanting to come off.

As I mentioned with my friend who ran the aquarium gig, it was more of a situation of freeing himself up to do the important stuff. I'm sure that you have a lot of packing orders, cleaning up the mess, reading emails, etc. that eats into your time. Anyways, something to think about so that you can get more of your product to more people.

And, again, I can't wait to get my amp, I'm sure it's everything I'm hoping for!
post #42 of 152
yah well if your willing to pay $1000+, do you want a quality product or a shoddy one? The problem with a assistant is you cant always be there to watch them and they may make a mistake or forget something. Even a loose or missing screw can be devastating to a product and it may turn out Justin would be spending just as much time QCing everything as he is assembling since if he did it himself he knows everything is ok. In the end an assistant could prove to do more harm than good in this type of industry.
post #43 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey20 View Post
yah well if your willing to pay $1000+, do you want a quality product or a shoddy one? The problem with a assistant is you cant always be there to watch them and they may make a mistake or forget something. Even a loose or missing screw can be devastating to a product and it may turn out Justin would be spending just as much time QCing everything as he is assembling since if he did it himself he knows everything is ok. In the end an assistant could prove to do more harm than good in this type of industry.
Well, there are some high-end companies with multiple employees that don't seem to have problems with QC. I've owned Shunyata, Nordost, Linn, Resolution Audio... just to name a few.

I'm not saying the one man operations should drive down to Home Depot and hire some day workers. Maybe there is a local engineering school where you could probably get people to work for peanuts just for the experience. Or someone who is just a hi-fi fan who'd love to be "in the game" and would work for equipment. I'm sure there are a ton of people on this website who would love to get a top quality amp at cost and some knowledge of how stuff works as a trade for a few hours a week of help.
post #44 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
Well, there are some high-end companies with multiple employees that don't seem to have problems with QC. I've owned Shunyata, Nordost, Linn, Resolution Audio... just to name a few.

I'm not saying the one man operations should drive down to Home Depot and hire some day workers. Maybe there is a local engineering school where you could probably get people to work for peanuts just for the experience. Or someone who is just a hi-fi fan who'd love to be "in the game" and would work for equipment. I'm sure there are a ton of people on this website who would love to get a top quality amp at cost and some knowledge of how stuff works as a trade for a few hours a week of help.
I'm sure it's a tad more complicated than that.
post #45 of 152
If you are having problems, ask yourself: Did you ask the mfr to make a commitment on the delivery date? Did the mfr. commit to a delivery date? Did the mfr. keep the commitment they made?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Headamp... 3months of waiting