Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Replacing PX100 for portable/outdoor use (budget $100)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replacing PX100 for portable/outdoor use (budget $100)

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I need to immediately replace my old Sennheiser PX100 headphones which broke yesterday. Budget around US $100.

I will be using the headphones exclusively for commuting and walking around noisy city streets with my iPod Nano. I prefer something foldable or collapsable, and something that *will* sound better than the Sennheiser PX100s they're replacing (considering I'm willing to spend almost three times what I spent on the Senns).

Music: rock, podcasts and audiobooks.

I don't mind sealed cans, especially in cold weather.

The headphones I am considering:

AKG K 26 P ($45)
Beyer DT 231 ($60)
Grado SR 60 ($70)

Anything (a) better-sounding and (b) still small(ish) and portable, for this price .... or up to $100 ?
Something has gone wrong!

Please try again!

Something has gone wrong! Please refresh the page or try again later.

Tech support has been notified of the problem.

Error: 503 Service Unavailable

post #2 of 20
used denon D1000 or it appears that denon is coming out with a few new phones that are cheaper.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
The Denons look good but I have to buy something for myself by this weekend, so I can't look around for used cans right now. And $150 new is over my budget.
post #4 of 20
Koss Portapros maybe? They sound similar to your PX100 but are portable, cheap (~$30) and have a lifetime warranty.

Koss Portapro and Sennheiser PX100 - PX200 Headphone Review and Comparison
post #5 of 20
I wouldnt get the Grados for outdoor use since they're open cans like the PX100 and let sound in and out.
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks.

Like I said, I am giving myself a bigger budget for these replacements. I don't think the Portapros are going to be demonstrably better than the PX100 I had.

Sealed is fine, as long as they aren't too big/dorky/heavy and I can commute and walk around with them without difficulty while driving an iPod....
post #7 of 20
One nice things about Grados outside is that you'll be able to hear around you, so you don't get hit by a car or anything.
post #8 of 20
At the top end of your budget is the Alessandro MS1 at $99 inc shipping, these are a definite improvement on the PX100.
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
How to they compare to the AT ES7 'phones for $110?
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpka View Post
The Denons look good but I have to buy something for myself by this weekend, so I can't look around for used cans right now. And $150 new is over my budget.
Too bad you can't wait for shipping, a certain site named after a large jungle and river or a very tall warrior woman has them for under $98 including free shipping and no tax. They're good, but then so are PX100s.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Too bad you can't wait for shipping, a certain site named after a large jungle and river or a very tall warrior woman has them for under $98 including free shipping and no tax. They're good, but then so are PX100s.
The Denons? Are you sure? I visited that jungleriversite and only see them (AH-D1000K and DNHP1000 models) for $147 (plus free shipping). Searching the deal/pricing sites I don't see the Denons anywhere near $100.

And yes, I can wait for shipping, I just want to order my headphones by the weekend, that's all.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpka View Post
Thanks.

Like I said, I am giving myself a bigger budget for these replacements. I don't think the Portapros are going to be demonstrably better than the PX100 I had.
The Portapros are cheap very nice sounding headphones, and lifetime warranty make them a real battle horse for portable/outdoor use...I like them better than the PX100...BTW the PX100 is around the same price in Amazon...
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Okay, but for my *budget* -- going up to $100 (okay $110), what are my best choices?
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpka View Post
Okay, but for my *budget* -- going up to $100 (okay $110), what are my best choices?
Have you ever consider the IEM...???
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpka View Post
The Denons? Are you sure? I visited that jungleriversite and only see them (AH-D1000K and DNHP1000 models) for $147 (plus free shipping). Searching the deal/pricing sites I don't see the Denons anywhere near $100.

And yes, I can wait for shipping, I just want to order my headphones by the weekend, that's all.
Absolutely sure, looking at it right now on that site. Search for this: Denon AH-D1000K.

Then click on Click to see price. $97.77 and I tested it by almost completing an order to make sure there was no shipping charge. There isn't.

It's a good deal, they're very comfy, decently made, nice-sounding, easy to drive, attractive, and now not too pricey...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Something has gone wrong!

Please try again!

Something has gone wrong! Please refresh the page or try again later.

Tech support has been notified of the problem.

Error: 503 Service Unavailable

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Replacing PX100 for portable/outdoor use (budget $100)