Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G! - Page 33

post #481 of 3004
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure on the electrics of it, but the datasheets say 1uF is cool. In terms of size, the 0.1uF NX has only 1mm diam[e]ter difference from 22uF[, and 2mm from the 47uF]. I have no offset with these bad boys. In retrospect, I should have gotten the 47s. These size caps aren't too expensive, so maybe you could experiment for us

"Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most." - DKS
post #482 of 3004
My BGs finally came in today! I made a temporary rocketpack for my BG 220uf caps. Basically I used a spare mint container to house two 3.5mm jacks and just hooked up the two caps using the leads only. The container has a sliding lid on the top that can be very easily removed in case I need to swap some parts.

My set up currently has the diyMod Nano with FLAC-to-Apple Lossless songs-->ipod connector with cryo vampire wire and Canare F12 plug --> container with BGs and made in japan 3.5mm jacks --> 3.5mm to 3.5m interconnect with cryo vampire wires --> Porda Corda III --> DIY Koss KSC75s.

The design is not finalized yet. I'm planning on moving the cap closer to the other cap and moving the entire set up into a very small container.

Initial impressions: bass is definitely more punchy and "controlled". I can hear more background instruments and sounds than before. The "mids" are better or more "seductive" according to RWA. I can't wait until the burn-in period is over!

I'm *still* waiting for my battery and qables connectors. Also, if the BGs sound much better after burn-in, I may make a VVS soniccap dock.


post #483 of 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneeboi View Post
I'm not sure on the electrics of it, but the datasheets say 1uF is cool. In terms of size, the 0.1uF NX has only 1mm diam[e]ter difference from 22uF[, and 2mm from the 47uF]. I have no offset with these bad boys. In retrospect, I should have gotten the 47s. These size caps aren't too expensive, so maybe you could experiment for us

"Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most." - DKS

Do you guy get audio out from the orginal ipod after the removal of the on board Cap(4pcs)
post #484 of 3004
Thread Starter 
Great work, CAvanessia! That's a great-looking rig you have there. I'm still burning in my setup as we speak, but bass has returned somewhat (for the moment). It's good to see people are still working on their diyMods.

pcyl:

I still get audio from the original headphone jack. Are you not getting any sound out of your headphone jack? Both signals can run at the same time, both theoretically and empirically.
post #485 of 3004
Arghh - my Nano randomly freezes! It's so irritating as it froze three times today while I'm burning-in the BGs. I don't think it's the diyMod's fault as google shows that this is a common problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

After reading some V-cap dock impressions, I have decided to sell the remainder of my BG caps and supplies to get some Soniccaps (hey, I'm a poor graduate student. I can't afford the V-caps). I will enclose the caps in a plastic enclosure from Radioshack or a larger mint-tin I have. No fancy stuff here
post #486 of 3004
Thread Starter 
I actually had some random freezing with my diyMod 4G, but it went away after the battery ran out and I recharged it. Another alternative is to RockBox your nano.
post #487 of 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAvanessia View Post
My BGs finally came in today! I made a temporary rocketpack for my BG 220uf caps. Basically I used a spare mint container to house two 3.5mm jacks and just hooked up the two caps using the leads only. The container has a sliding lid on the top that can be very easily removed in case I need to swap some parts.

My set up currently has the diyMod Nano with FLAC-to-Apple Lossless songs-->ipod connector with cryo vampire wire and Canare F12 plug --> container with BGs and made in japan 3.5mm jacks --> 3.5mm to 3.5m interconnect with cryo vampire wires --> Porda Corda III --> DIY Koss KSC75s.

The design is not finalized yet. I'm planning on moving the cap closer to the other cap and moving the entire set up into a very small container.

Initial impressions: bass is definitely more punchy and "controlled". I can hear more background instruments and sounds than before. The "mids" are better or more "seductive" according to RWA. I can't wait until the burn-in period is over!

I'm *still* waiting for my battery and qables connectors. Also, if the BGs sound much better after burn-in, I may make a VVS soniccap dock.
look nice, Christine...can you share the pick inside your dock there ? btw the cable look's good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcyl View Post
Do you guy get audio out from the orginal ipod after the removal of the on board Cap(4pcs)
both still, even from line out nor headphone out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneeboi View Post
Great work, CAvanessia! That's a great-looking rig you have there. I'm still burning in my setup as we speak, but bass has returned somewhat (for the moment). It's good to see people are still working on their diyMods.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAvanessia View Post
Arghh - my Nano randomly freezes! It's so irritating as it froze three times today while I'm burning-in the BGs. I don't think it's the diyMod's fault as google shows that this is a common problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

After reading some V-cap dock impressions, I have decided to sell the remainder of my BG caps and supplies to get some Soniccaps (hey, I'm a poor graduate student. I can't afford the V-caps). I will enclose the caps in a plastic enclosure from Radioshack or a larger mint-tin I have. No fancy stuff here
yes, what software vetrsion of your nano right now ? have you update the software lately ? it fix few bug's of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneeboi View Post
I actually had some random freezing with my diyMod 4G, but it went away after the battery ran out and I recharged it. Another alternative is to RockBox your nano.
yes, Rockbox is an alternative to operate your ipod without the stock os from apple... haven't tried em yet but it's looke pretty cool...have you ppl have ever try Gopod ? i use Gopod for the headphone out, DIYmod for the line out...yet still doing the dock connector now...
post #488 of 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAvanessia View Post
Arghh - my Nano randomly freezes! It's so irritating as it froze three times today while I'm burning-in the BGs. I don't think it's the diyMod's fault as google shows that this is a common problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

After reading some V-cap dock impressions, I have decided to sell the remainder of my BG caps and supplies to get some Soniccaps (hey, I'm a poor graduate student. I can't afford the V-caps). I will enclose the caps in a plastic enclosure from Radioshack or a larger mint-tin I have. No fancy stuff here
The nano is a pain in the ass, it froze two times on the train to school today... and it's the 3G one... I dunno why it happens... weird.

Edit: And guys, the showdown is supposed to be today. But my friend couldn't turn up cause his boss dumped a pile of work on him, and he has to work overtime to finish it... So showdown will not be today, but I'm still going to the audio shop to let the guys there try it out and gather some comments... I hope my ears fail me in not hearing the difference!
post #489 of 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQEM View Post
look nice, Christine...can you share the pick inside your dock there ? btw the cable look's good...
Sorry - I glued it shut already. I made that dock a while ago. It only has 3 pins hot glued to the dock connector body (others were pulled out), and the massive vampire wires very carefully soldered onto the pins.

I was very eager to try Rockbox, but I've heard that you only get HALF the battery life of the original firmware (14 hours stock vs ~7 hours rockbox). This is the only thing holding me back.

My nano has the newest software updates indicated by iTunes. It still freezes!

BTW, how do people solder huge gauge wires with lots of strands to tiny iPod pins? First I group the 20+ strands and tin them. I then just heat up the strands and stick the pin in the middle of the bunch of strands with the strands bunched up as much as possible. I wonder how ALO does it especially with so many wires.
post #490 of 3004
3 pins, you mean pins 2,3 & 4 right Christine ?! is it matters if i pick pin 1 instead of pin 2 ? aha, same thought as i do for the DIYlod...using more lil' wires strand to hold the pins, the caps and the real big wires from interconnect cable...
post #491 of 3004
You should remove all the unused pins in the dock to begin with, it'll be easier to work worth and supposedly reduce some in interference. Anyway, multiple strand wires can pe "shrunk" by exposing lets say 0.1" of strands then cuttings about half(or whatever) of them down to lats say only 0.03" bare so you're left with only 5 or 6 strands, then tin the wire so it'll ensure good solid contact to all the strands. use little bits of heat shrink that you put on te wire before to ensure the wires don't touch each other when they're so close inside the dock connector..

pin 1 as mentioned is internally connected to pin 2, so I assume their use is interchangeable.

(Also note that some site count the pins from a different size, so if you were looking here for example, you'd be using pins 23, 78, 29/30. )
post #492 of 3004
I managed to get someone who had the iMod to lend it to me for some listening, but I could only find a few songs I know on his iPod. He was in a rush as well so I couldn't listen for long. My impression is that, the iMod has very very slightly deeper midrange and bass than mine, however it was quite an unfair comparison considering he probably has his music on lossless and mine on 192 kbps. Also, cause he was rushing off, I wasn't really in a right state of mind to do a calm comparison, I might be wrong because the difference I heard was so so so small. And i only clocked about 130 hours of burn in, when supposedly supposed to go for 200... I will definitely do a comparison again. But overall, my verdict is that iMod's reviews are mostly over-exaggerated.

He listened to my mod as well, his feedback is that the bass although not as powerful as the one from headphone out, it is more controlled and the clarity is better(which is expected because the headphone out is known not to have exceptional clarity). However, comparing hp out to dock line out, I would say, like most people do that the hp out on 4G iPod is already good as compared to those new gens, so the rather inaudible difference that I am hearing in terms of SQ might be explained by that probably.
post #493 of 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruZZ.il View Post
You should remove all the unused pins in the dock to begin with, it'll be easier to work worth and supposedly reduce some in interference. Anyway, multiple strand wires can pe "shrunk" by exposing lets say 0.1" of strands then cuttings about half(or whatever) of them down to lats say only 0.03" bare so you're left with only 5 or 6 strands, then tin the wire so it'll ensure good solid contact to all the strands. use little bits of heat shrink that you put on te wire before to ensure the wires don't touch each other when they're so close inside the dock connector..

pin 1 as mentioned is internally connected to pin 2, so I assume their use is interchangeable.

(Also note that some site count the pins from a different size, so if you were looking here for example, you'd be using pins 23, 78, 29/30. )
yes, are there any other site than ipodlinux to check dock_connector pins to use ?
post #494 of 3004
Apple iPod dock interface pinout @ pinouts.ru, Notice that these here are noted in the reverse order than the one at ipodlinux. I use the one at ipodlinux cause of the pic of the dock I got used to looking at.. but they're probably basically the same thing.
post #495 of 3004
CA: Your doing the right thing by tinning the wires first. I really don't see the benefit in using such big gauge wire. Its not like the ipod produces that much current...so its kind of an overkill, but there will be people who 'hear' the difference so I'm gonna stop before I make enemies !! But yes, you are on the right track. What I tend to do is put the wires on the side instead of directly on top of the small pins. This usually helps out quite a bit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!