Try S/PDIF and pray for sound. :)
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ASUS Xonar Essence STX or a Desktop amp? Last post on 6/24/14 at 5:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- REVIEW: Red Wine Audio “Audeze Edition” balanced Headphone Amplifier – DAC combo Last post on 11/6/12 at 2:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
Introduction: I received the Cayin N6 as a tour unit that was generously provided by CTC Audio. CTC Audio focuses on making brands that aren’t as accessible in North America, mostly from Asia,...
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
- Headphone Impedance
Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp - Page 622
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I really hate to create a new thread for my question, so I'll append it here and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
My current setup is as follows: USB --> Pico DAC --> Audio Engine A2 speakers (3.5mm) && Rockhopper M^3 Amp (RCA)
I was hoping to use the Zero DAC as a volume control for the A2 speakers since the knob is currently on the back of those and it's really annoying to reach behind and change the volume. Seeing as the Zero only have 1 Line out, can anyone tell me if this will work by splitting it or something? Or can someone point me in the right direction of another DAC with more output options? The Zero would be nice as an additional headphone amp when I'm bored w/ the M^3, but my main goal here is to feed my M^3 and my powered A2 speakers.
On a side note, adding computer gaming to the mix, has anyone experimented w/ CMSS-3D or Dolby out the DAC for positional assistance while playing FPS games?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Isnt the front panel output amped? My speakers are powered, and so I'm thinking an amped source would be bad, no?
Ah ok, both are amped. Can you help me understand this then... If I am trying to get the audio out to my M^3 amp, should you not amp the music twice? as you should not DAC the music twice either?
Maybe I just need a different DAC w/ volume control and no amp. Thoughts?
Not sure if we understand each other. Fixed LINE isn't amped. Regulated LINE is amped.
M3 has volume control so you can just use ZERO switched on fixed output LINE as DAC without volume control. ...or no?
Sorry, I thought you said lineout was Amped as well. Ok, so Lineout to M3 will work great. How about to my powered speakers which have 3.5 mini and RCA input? Can I run them off the amped side (1/4 output) or is it going to sound bad?
Well I said that because it's true in some cases: LINE OUT can be either amped or not. You can switch between these two modes using one button on front panel. So you can connect M3 to RCA LINE OUT (asd preffereably use fixed - unamped - output) and also connect speakers to either 1/4 jack or RCA LINE OUT (you have to disconnect M3 since the amped and unamped LINE OUT uses the same RCA connectors) while using amped RCA output or 1/4 jack output.
Just got this amp. I really like it, but it gets quite hot. Not too hot to touch but pretty warm. Any idea what would be a safe operating temperature or any guidelines to keep this thing from being damaged?
The hottest place should be near the vents on the right side of the case. My normal temperature is ~15°C above the room temperature.
Once I had another ZERO that was very hot becuse of the transformer. But it was the old ZERO (see first post).
Hi, Are you sure that? Do you have some ZERODAC schematics proving that? I think it's only attenuated via the same pot, switchable by relays.
I have schematic so I'm 100% sure. The signal path of regulated LINE OUT is following: DAC => headphone amp => headphone jack (it serves as switch: when there are no headphones plugged the output is wsitched towards line out connectors) => serial resistors (10k) => RCA connectors. Second "proof" is that there are 3 cables connected to headphone amp: line in, power and line out. And third proof: when you play 50Hz sine and connect multimeter to LINE OUT you will measure approx 2V, if you switch to regulated and turn volume to max you will measure ~ 8V => it's not attenuated by POT, but amped (by headphone amp).
So from that you can see that regulated LINE OUT is degraded by additional amping by headphone amp and it also has huge output impedance.
Ok. Thank You. You convinced me of that. But that's too bad for the signal adding second amp in the path even better headphone amplifier as modding. It would be nice if the pot is only attenuator. Who needs 8v rms?
- Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Reversible AKG K701 bass mod 1 minute ago
- › CanJam Music Appreciation Contest 2 minutes ago
- › POLL: Which headphone? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 3 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 4 minutes ago
- › Is there no flagship for "fun" headphones that has the 3D... 4 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 5 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 339 IEMs compared (FLC Technology FLC 8 added... 5 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 8 minutes ago
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3