Mine ZERO never had this pop. But I heard about someone with this issue and I think he didn't solve this issue.
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ASUS Xonar Essence STX or a Desktop amp? Last post on 6/24/14 at 5:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- REVIEW: Red Wine Audio “Audeze Edition” balanced Headphone Amplifier – DAC combo Last post on 11/6/12 at 2:20am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- NFB12 + HD 650 Last post on 9/15/11 at 10:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp - Page 617post #9241 of 93725/3/12 at 2:35am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #9242 of 93726/1/12 at 5:35am
I just received a ZERO DAC. Using Grado SR-80 I can hear a hiss when the amp is supposed to be silent. It's noticeable at very low volumes, right from the start and just turning the pot slightly. Even more noticeable at 9 o'clock, and there is a loud hissing when pot is at 12 o'clock.
As I understand, this is due to Grados low impedance.
Is there a simple way to modify the headphone amp for low impedance headphones?
Or should I try to sell the Zero and look for something else? TY!post #9243 of 93726/1/12 at 5:55ampost #9244 of 93726/1/12 at 6:57ampost #9245 of 93726/1/12 at 8:23am
The thing is that this tiny difference is DAC noise (which is quite low). But bigger part of noise is caused by head-amp itself.
Just chcecked my old measurement and noise at 9 o'clock is ~70uVp (with SR80 it makes ~32dB SPL) and at 12 o'clock it is ~450uVp (with SR80 it makes ~46dB SPL which is very audible).
You can try some low noise OA, but I don't think it will be very helpful.
The ultimate solution is changing whole amp. I'am changing old amps for amps of my design (see signature) and at 12 o'clock the noise is only 12uVp (with SR80 it would be ~15dB SPL)post #9246 of 93726/1/12 at 8:55ampost #9247 of 93726/1/12 at 9:03ampost #9248 of 93726/13/12 at 2:25pmpost #9249 of 93726/27/12 at 5:29pm
I have a brand new Zero 09 with USB with approx 40 to 50 hours use.
been trawling through this post, lots of excellent stuff. But can someone please help me select a reseller for a set of LT1364 & a set of LME49720's? Lots for sale on ebay, but my problems are
1. Picking ones that are genuine
2. picking the right options! Most have 3 different lots of suffixes to choose from and I am a bit clueless.
Sorry if the answers are on here somewhere, buy over 600 pages are a lot to get through.
I have been very impressed with the sound straight from the box, and I'm running it through a pretty decent rig - perreuax power amp, Polk RTA-15TL's... I mainly use the DAC section through my amp/power amp combo, but with a wee child on the way I might find a bit more use for the headphone section.
The main reason for changing the headphone OP-Amp is that out of the box the output was clean through my AKG K240's (not the best HP I know - ex my DJ rig), now I am hearing a definite hiss and distortion on the higher frequencies and it is very distracting. This hiss is only present when the input source is being played. With no music the HP/Preamp out is clean even when increasing the volume. I have tried with both USB and coax input from different sources - laptop, PC, CD etc and the hiss does not change. I have also tried with different headphones - same hiss.
The direct analog output is fine - no hiss. If the headphone or preamp output is used there is hiss.
As this sound wasn't present to begin with I am seeing about return, or if the supplier will provide a replacement Headphone amp PCB. If I cannot get a good return option that doesn't cost the earth I was thinking swapping out the headphone OP_amps might help, hence the question on what style.
Any idea if this might work? Anything else I can check? There is nothing looking burnt or odd on the PCB and I can find not loose bits of solder viewing from above. Remember I am trying to keep this pristine in case of return, if return isn't an option I have no problems ripping into it!
Rob.post #9250 of 93726/28/12 at 9:18ampost #9251 of 93726/28/12 at 4:58pm
Hi, thanks for the reply. Looks like Farnel has a local representative in NZ and I can see good pics of the options, thanks!
This hiss is both channels...In fact describing the noise it would be closer to the distorted higher frequencies I mentioned, everything at the top seems to be distorted and "hissy"
I was planning on changing out the AMP OPAmps anyway for sound quality and fun, but your help is trying to diagnose is appreciated. Following the same route with the DAC Opamp also, and have an OPA_moon on it's way :)
Rob.post #9252 of 93727/15/12 at 4:39pm
So...I haven't read through all 600+ pages of this post but I have purchased a used Zero from another head-fi member and I am more than happy with it. I have a small selection of op-amps and I have been playing around with the Audio-GD Earth (came with it as part of the sale) in main slot and playing with various options in the headphone amp slots. It came with LT1364s in the headamp section and I really like that sound paired with the Earth or 627 in the main slot. I had an extra 627 on an adapter so I plugged the 627s in both headamp slots and I am really digging the sound. Anyone else try this combo with success?
Most of my gear is a little bright so the Audio-gd Earth/627 combo seems to be very easy on the ears while still imparting plenty of detail/instrument separation.
post #9253 of 93727/20/12 at 3:30am
Greetings to you all.
I have only one question and didn't find the answer for it in this thread.
I consider buying the new 2012 edition Zero dac with OPA637U. I have AKG K550, which are low impedance.
So my question is, would that be a good buy? Considering the problem with a hiss mentioned earlier?
Just to mention, I am on a very tight budget.
Regards.post #9254 of 93727/20/12 at 9:46ampost #9255 of 93728/13/12 at 3:34am
Any one find that the Zero Amp is too powerful?
I'm using a zero dac/amp connected through optical to PC, powering hd650s. To be able listen to music comfortably, I need to play music at 1% on winamp, and volume control at the 1oclock knob. I know for a fact that my HD650s are not easy to power because i tried powering them on my portable rig, and I needed to nearly max out my stepdance2 to be able power the 650s to a 'reasonably' loud level.
Any ways on reducing the volume that doesn't involve the PC would be greatful! :)
- Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 3 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 59 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 4 minutes ago
- › [WTB] Nordost Heimdall 2 balanced for Focal Utopia 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 5 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear