Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp - Page 402

post #6016 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhewl View Post
I was under the impression last time I looked, that the transistors used on the headphone amplifier board were used to increase the strength of the audio signal, and that the voltage was taken directly from the bottom corner of the DAC board...

~Phewl.
No question the 337T's are the main part supplying the entire analog sections (including H/Amp)...I'm just juggling about six balls in the air right now AP (and I can't juggle worth a damn )...trying to nail down a reasonable fix for a 3 HDAM Zero config for little cash outlay (if that can be done ).

Peete.
post #6017 of 9354
Cut pins 4 and 8 on all the HDAMs, and feed them directly from an external source .

No tidy way to do this with the current Zero DAC casing, though.

~Phewl.
post #6018 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhewl View Post
Cut pins 4 and 8 on all the HDAMs, and feed them directly from an external source .

No tidy way to do this with the current Zero DAC casing, though.

~Phewl.
That's my idea (I have worked out how to do it, will it fit...I dunno)...but can I do it with this setup AP...have a look...or do I need the +15 -15V reg board. I think I have the right one...ordered the +15 V DC with 1 A tranny.

Linky.....

Welborne Labs PSREG Kit

What do you think ?


Peete.
post #6019 of 9354
If you want the same working voltage as the Zero DAC, then you'll need +/-15v rather than just +15v.

Opamp sockets in the Zero supply a total of 30v. To get an idea of how the HDAMs would function with 15v, remove the -ve feed and tie it straight to ground, which will give you a working voltage of 15v.

I don't know how the HDAMs will perform with just 15v...

ETA - from the looks of things, the boards you are looking at are only capable of supplying a positive voltage, not a negative one. What you're really looking for is a dual power supply, that's capable of driving a solid half-amp for 3 HDAMs...

Possibly have a word with Evan, over at Shinymetal...
http://www.ezdiyaudio.com/

I know he was working on a good dual power supply before focussing on his DAC. He's a nice chap, easy to understand and very knowledgeable.

~Phewl.
post #6020 of 9354
Right...very good....

Ok now this link should be the ticket

then...Welborne Labs PS1 Regulated Supply

I can use that other one in the CDP to feed the Tentlabs X02...with some resistor changes to drop the voltage to +12V DC so it's not a total loss....

Thanks AP !!! How are you enjoying the Stax rig ? I must admit I'd love to hear some stats again after all these years....

Peete.

PS: The PS1 kit uses a toroid...might be able to stack them...means a custom top but that would look kinda cool ....
post #6021 of 9354
Wow cool...thanks for that link...

Great site for a half wit like me... I'll reading that page for a while tonight

Peete.
post #6022 of 9354
Any suggestions outside of the HD600's. I am pretty disappointed to learn the Denon's won't sound good on the Zero, as I was going to get them for a really good price.
post #6023 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416 View Post
Any suggestions outside of the HD600's. I am pretty disappointed to learn the Denon's won't sound good on the Zero, as I was going to get them for a really good price.
Why not try them and see...does the store have a return policy if your not happy with the Denons ? What kind of music do you prefer...are you a bass head...etc...?

Peete.
post #6024 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete View Post
Why not try them and see...does the store have a return policy if your not happy with the Denons ? What kind of music do you prefer...are you a bass head...etc...?

Peete.
I don't have the ability to try those two, I was going to get the Denon's used for $130 like new. I will have to call around to see if anyone has the HD600's for listening tests.

I listen to a wide variety of music. I am also in the PC game development industry, so soundstage is important.
post #6025 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416 View Post
Any suggestions outside of the HD600's. I am pretty disappointed to learn the Denon's won't sound good on the Zero, as I was going to get them for a really good price.
It isn't that they'll sound bad, it's that they won't perform at their optimum unless paired with a more substantial amplifier. The amp in the Zero is good - nothing more, nothing less. It'll do a fair job of being an amplifier.

It'll sound better than no amplifier. It'll probably sound 80% as good as a more expensive amplifier.

But the way some folk talk on this forum, you'd be forgiven for expecting it to sound lousy. Heck... my Stax stuff is only a third better than my donkeys-years-old HD480s. That doesn't mean the 480s are no longer any good, just that they can be beaten.

Everything always gets beaten. You can't escape it. My advice - get the headphones you want and use them with a Zero. When you have some more money, look at using a different amplifier. It'll be different, but it may not be a huge a difference as you'd think from reading about headphones on here.

At the end of the day, you have to part with some cash and make up your own mind. Folk on here are - generally - not a useful stick with which to measure your own mind. Doesn't matter if 30 people rave about something - it's all about how it sounds to your ears, and yours alone.

Peete - loving the Stax stuff. Has been playing in the back of my mind that it's an awful lot of money, and I've thought of sending it back. But each time I put them on, and sit back with a good album... they're suddenly worth every penny. I swap over to my old cans from time to time... and the difference is breathtaking. Much more atmosphere, much bigger stage into which it presents itself.

Glad I'm single, and able to afford such loveliness . There isn't anyone around to make me feel guilty about spending such obscene money on a pair of headphones .

~Phewl.
post #6026 of 9354
Hello everyone,

I'm really interested in this Dac/Amp for his great "bang for the buck" ratio, but i wanted to make sure it would go well enough with my phone (ad2000) before ordering it.
So i'm wondering if any of you guys own that combo and what your impressions are about the sinergy between the Zero and the ad2000?

Tyvm.
post #6027 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isao_Tanaka View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm really interested in this Dac/Amp for his great "bang for the buck" ratio, but i wanted to make sure it would go well enough with my phone (ad2000) before ordering it.
So i'm wondering if any of you guys own that combo and what your impressions are about the sinergy between the Zero and the ad2000?

Tyvm.
Can anyone answer this question more generally? What spec. of headphone does the Zero match up well with? Is impedance the key consideration?
post #6028 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhewl View Post
It isn't that they'll sound bad, it's that they won't perform at their optimum unless paired with a more substantial amplifier. The amp in the Zero is good - nothing more, nothing less. It'll do a fair job of being an amplifier.

It'll sound better than no amplifier. It'll probably sound 80% as good as a more expensive amplifier.

But the way some folk talk on this forum, you'd be forgiven for expecting it to sound lousy. Heck... my Stax stuff is only a third better than my donkeys-years-old HD480s. That doesn't mean the 480s are no longer any good, just that they can be beaten.

Everything always gets beaten. You can't escape it. My advice - get the headphones you want and use them with a Zero. When you have some more money, look at using a different amplifier. It'll be different, but it may not be a huge a difference as you'd think from reading about headphones on here.

At the end of the day, you have to part with some cash and make up your own mind. Folk on here are - generally - not a useful stick with which to measure your own mind. Doesn't matter if 30 people rave about something - it's all about how it sounds to your ears, and yours alone.

Peete - loving the Stax stuff. Has been playing in the back of my mind that it's an awful lot of money, and I've thought of sending it back. But each time I put them on, and sit back with a good album... they're suddenly worth every penny. I swap over to my old cans from time to time... and the difference is breathtaking. Much more atmosphere, much bigger stage into which it presents itself.

Glad I'm single, and able to afford such loveliness . There isn't anyone around to make me feel guilty about spending such obscene money on a pair of headphones .

~Phewl.
Sage advice AP.....fugi it's tough to pick out something for someone else....the HD series work very well with the Zero's amp...like AP said it's not a great amp by any stretch of the imagination the real story is the DAC in the Zero. The H/Amp can be improved upon by using a HDAM in the dac section of the dac....SENN HD580,600,650 are all good with this amp. The K701's are ok with it as well...It drives my 650's very well but nowhere near as good as my modified MK III Tube amp...I understand your frustration because I was once where you are right now...my best advice is spend as much as you can on the best headphones money can buy (within reason HD650/AKG701 levels of cash)...that way you'll never have to upgrade them when you move to better gear, they scale right along with your new stuff.

I hadn't planned on buying 650's when I started out...was looking at AKG K270 MK II's, then HD595s...after reading a pile of info on each type of popular can...I decided to get a used set of 650's..cost me a little more than a new set of AKG K270 MK II's but I'm awful glad I went with these...at times I'd like to get some K701's as I appreciate their take on frequency response. I don't like things being to warm or cool and shy away from tone controls and EQ (except in the car where it's critical to have EQ).

Anyway I hope this helps you a little...sorry about your now thinning wallet...

AP: You deserve something special in your life every once in a while...I know that feeling...buyers remorse...but put it out of your head and say...how much is musical enjoyment on this scale worth, can happiness be bought for so cheap a price ? Trust me man...1600 US is cheap..once you get married or shacked up...you be spending 1K like it was nothing, on furniture,property taxes..multi K's on homes & cars...(oh man now I want to jump off the nearest bridge )...anyway you get the idea. Just enjoy them and remember that they can always be sold for a decent resale value allowing you to move another step up the system ladder...think of them as a temporary investment towards better gear down the road...if indeed you do want to go one better. It's how I built my (main system) current rig, the sale of the previous amp/amps whatever, took a significant chunk out the new kits price....made me feel better



I know I'd love to hear some Stax gear again...they get the highs and mids right like no other...truth of timbre and imaging from what I recall are without peer.

Enjoy them bro, guilt free

Peete.
post #6029 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhewl View Post
Cut pins 4 and 8 on all the HDAMs, and feed them directly from an external source .

No tidy way to do this with the current Zero DAC casing, though.

~Phewl.
I thot of this at first, but realise there is a pair of coupling capacitor that is parallel to the V+ and V- if I am right. So I wonder how to hook up the V+ and V-.

PP,

I think u need the +15V and -15 voltage rail to feed in. U will need a return loop to the tranny to complete the circuit right. Again the capacitor on top. Can u find the coupling capacitor and feed the V+ and V- before the coupling cap. A check with Lawrence Chan would be the best to confirm the hook up.
post #6030 of 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhewl View Post
It isn't that they'll sound bad, it's that they won't perform at their optimum unless paired with a more substantial amplifier. The amp in the Zero is good - nothing more, nothing less. It'll do a fair job of being an amplifier.

It'll sound better than no amplifier. It'll probably sound 80% as good as a more expensive amplifier.

But the way some folk talk on this forum, you'd be forgiven for expecting it to sound lousy. Heck... my Stax stuff is only a third better than my donkeys-years-old HD480s. That doesn't mean the 480s are no longer any good, just that they can be beaten.

Everything always gets beaten. You can't escape it. My advice - get the headphones you want and use them with a Zero. When you have some more money, look at using a different amplifier. It'll be different, but it may not be a huge a difference as you'd think from reading about headphones on here.

At the end of the day, you have to part with some cash and make up your own mind. Folk on here are - generally - not a useful stick with which to measure your own mind. Doesn't matter if 30 people rave about something - it's all about how it sounds to your ears, and yours alone.

Peete - loving the Stax stuff. Has been playing in the back of my mind that it's an awful lot of money, and I've thought of sending it back. But each time I put them on, and sit back with a good album... they're suddenly worth every penny. I swap over to my old cans from time to time... and the difference is breathtaking. Much more atmosphere, much bigger stage into which it presents itself.

Glad I'm single, and able to afford such loveliness . There isn't anyone around to make me feel guilty about spending such obscene money on a pair of headphones .

~Phewl.
Ya, it's between the D2000's and AD900's now. I never thought the Denon's needed a super good amp to power them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp