Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod Touch Sound Quality is quite bad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod Touch Sound Quality is quite bad. - Page 4

post #46 of 184
Stop talking ****, the touch has quite a bit better SQ vs my Gen 5 ipod.
Also the touch uses a Wolfson DAC, the Classic is the one with the Cirrus DAC
post #47 of 184
I am also loving my iPod Touch with my depodded IM716 eims. It sounds even better on my vintage Aiwa P22 mini compo amp. Mid band glare is tamed down a bit. Sound opens up and bass gets tighter and deeper. Impressive percussive attack. Not bad for sound coming out of the iPod Touch's headphone output.
post #48 of 184
yeah.. same here.. how do you hack the volume?
do you do it by putting in the german firmware?
post #49 of 184
I never knew there was a volume hack. I rolled back my firmware to 1.1.1 to be able to Jailbreak it. I can't wait to try this with a lineout adaptor and the portable amp I will be building next month.
post #50 of 184
german firmware? i think if you have ipod from europe then it will just be by default volume limited. mine is japanese meaning probably american. i used gopod with an older nano i had from europe. look for it under macupdate or whatever os you use. i haven't the foggiest if it supports touch though.

as for amp - sounds great, but don't hope for drastically improved sound - unless you are great at creating placeabo
post #51 of 184
Well, with an amp and a headphone out, my Touch sounds "OK". It is roughly equivalent to my Archos AV500 unamped with a headphone out, though it has a much thinner sound signature.

Without an amp, the Touch is unacceptable. I almost refuse to listen to music through it. The Touch combined with my Denons make for a LOT of background noise. However, the accessibility, ease of use, and smooth GUI of the Touch is awesome, and the wifi/safari is absolutely exceptional.

However, my LOD is on it's way. As soon as I get it, I will post a review. I'm hoping for great things. :clap:
post #52 of 184
Here is a frequency response curve for the 8gb part.
I really admire the platform the touch is going to be in a while. I think that justifies the premium you are currently paying for it.
However, baseline sq definitely has to improve. There is also way too much hiss on the units I have tried.
LL
post #53 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres View Post
Here is a frequency response curve for the 8gb part.
I really admire the platform the touch is going to be in a while. I think that justifies the premium you are currently paying for it.
However, baseline sq definitely has to improve. There is also way too much hiss on the units I have tried.
That frequency response curve looks amazingly bad, how accurat is it? I didn't really like the Touchs SQ either when I listened to it, I would have bought it if I did.
post #54 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
well, as i said earlier i listen to trance, the faster the better. the d2 gets very confused and has no depth to the bass. it is all just booms, though not out of control booms. the touch however handles those tracks with finesse.

the d2 is not bad, but... i do not find it nearly what i had hoped. without eq it is rubbish but the ipod without eq is very very good: controlled, solid and not going out on either end of the spectrum while maintaining a good soundstage.
Jumping for the sake of the thread, but I also disagree heartily with shigzeo's opinion here. My D2 does really well with trance tracks and satisfied my needs for midbass->bass detail and spacing.
post #55 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra1980 View Post
That frequency response curve looks amazingly bad, how accurat is it? I didn't really like the Touchs SQ either when I listened to it, I would have bought it if I did.
Very accurate using professional equipment (hifi magazine) and 32 ohm load (ipod stock buds)
post #56 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres View Post
Very accurate using professional equipment (hifi magazine) and 32 ohm load (ipod stock buds)
Why did you post that curve if it was not accurate?
post #57 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra1980 View Post
Why did you post that curve if it was not accurate?
What do you mean?
post #58 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres View Post
What do you mean?
You said that the touch measured very good with professional equipment but when I look at that curve it seems very bad, very much treble and a constant roll of all the way down to 20hz.
post #59 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra1980 View Post
You said that the touch measured very good with professional equipment but when I look at that curve it seems very bad, very much treble and a constant roll of all the way down to 20hz.
There seems to be some misunderstanding. What I meant was the test equipment used allows for very accurate assays. The results that the touch delivered were bad, indeed.
post #60 of 184
It doesn't take take equipment to confirm that the iPod Touch's output isn't great. Going in I knew this would be so. But I really wanted the unique web surfing experience and the high tweak factor so I compromised. Having accepted its sound limitations, my ears simply acclimatize to its sound signature. When I stop being critical and simply listen to relax, it does a fine job. Though I am picky with songs it can render well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod Touch Sound Quality is quite bad.