Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1165

post #17461 of 17471

Hey, long shot I know, but any UK-based horror fans going to this year's FrightFest? Tix on sale tomorrow - getting excited!

post #17462 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithApe View Post
 

 

Wow, really? I thought Titanic sucked big time, The Abyss was mediocre and T2 was a step down from T1 (although still damn good). Different strokes eh? :rolleyes: Ain't seen Avatar I'm afraid - just doesn't look like my cup o char.

Avatar is really not all that bad. Commercialized like hell for sure but with that budget how can you blame them :).

Titanic has a good story all the technical excellence, good actors what is awful about it?

 

But yes different strokes obviously lol.

post #17463 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
 

Titanic has a good story all the technical excellence, good actors what is awful about it?

 

But yes different strokes obviously lol.

 

Well actually the story was the main problem for me - it's basically just a cliched romance tacked onto the backdrop of known events and the dialogue was awfully cheesy. But I'm probably just a jaded old cynic, so don't mind me :tongue_smile:. Technically accomplished film-making though, I'll give you that.

post #17464 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithApe View Post
 

 

Well actually the story was the main problem for me - it's basically just a cliched romance tacked onto the backdrop of known events and the dialogue was awfully cheesy. But I'm probably just a jaded old cynic, so don't mind me :tongue_smile:. Technically accomplished film-making though, I'll give you that.


No. I thought "Titanic, The Love Story" was about the most inappropriate treatment of a disaster I have ever seen. Mouldy cheese at that. Thank heavens the studio wouldn't finance "Holocaust: The Musical"

post #17465 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 


No. I thought "Titanic, The Love Story" was about the most inappropriate treatment of a disaster I have ever seen. Mouldy cheese at that. Thank heavens the studio wouldn't finance "Holocaust: The Musical"

 

That sounds like a project Lars Von Trier could really sink his teeth into.

post #17466 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithApe View Post
 

 

That sounds like a project Lars Von Trier could really sink his teeth into.


That is a scary thought indeed.  Wonder if Bjork would be interested in doing the songwriting?:D

 

 

I will be interested to see the TV series he's working on though.

post #17467 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


I think you have that a little bit backwards. It was Terminator 1 which got him the initial opportunity to write and produce (wife of the moment Gale Ann Hurd ) and direct Aliens. If T1 had failed the project would have gone to someone else.  Alien, brilliant film that it was, did extremely poorly at the box office and was panned by critics.(I was one of 4 people in the theatre when I saw it first) The only people who wanted a sequel was Brandywine productions who owned the rights. Fox had no interest in it at all and it was only the unexpected success of T1 which got them to entertain an Alien sequel.

Aliens is probably Camerons best work. It is the only film he has made other than T1 where he is not preaching about something and trying to tailor his characters into the mess he creates. T1 for what it was is easily his second best if you overlook the dollar store budget.

  What generally gets overlooked is the fact that when T1 originally opened a friend of Harlan Ellison's called him and asked why he had not told him his story had been filmed. Ellison subsequently sued and resultantly all prints were altered to credit him . An unspecified amount of money was paid as well.

 A similar scenario unfolded with a Russian author over Avatar but that has been well and truly swept under the carpet.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu
Bram Stokers family is known as the first group to ever create a infringement lawsuit due to the 1922 movie Nosferatu being a direct tale of the Dracula story. They tried to destroy every copy of the film but a couple survived.

For 1922, Nosferatu was really scary and is regarded as one of the first horror movies.
post #17468 of 17471
I had waited a long time to finally see Planet Of The Vampiers. Upon watching it all I could think about was how many ideas Ridley Scott took from the movie. The ship in 1979s a Alien in exactly the same. So maybe HR Giger stole that idea. Using lights with shooting underwater was a technique also taken. The large alien is also copied.



In 2012s Prometheus is when things really get directly copied. The supper large alien and it being made of a hard substance is the same. The derelict ship with a table like control panel that still works is exactly the same. The lights still working after they touch something the same. The concept of the ship coming to life again and starting up stuff is the same.



All this time I thought it was original to Aliens and Prometheus.
Edited by Redcarmoose - Today at 4:44 pm
post #17469 of 17471

Is it good?

post #17470 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Is it good?



I think it depends on how much you love Mario Bava's style. He uses a ton of colored lights. The movie is very dated and very strange as to how it works with the classic themes in Sci/Fi. The actors wear leather suites. The amazing thing is the poster skull creature looks like HR Giger's alien to me?
post #17471 of 17471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post


I think it depends on how much you love Mario Bava's style. He uses a ton of colored lights. The movie is very dated and very strange as to how it works with the classic themes in Sci/Fi. The actors wear leather suites. The amazing thing is the poster skull creature looks like HR Giger's alien to me?


I think "Not exactly as advertised" is the phrase for this one. In hollwood's attempt to make it into B mainstream sci/horror they renamed it with a title that has nothing to do with the film. Taken in the context of it's time it holds up fairly well and better than most US films of the era and genre. Definitely worth a look for anyone into older films from the scifi genre. If you are all about new releases, then skip this one for sure.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched