Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1093

post #16381 of 16391

To say the truth I didn't notice black humor in Gone Girl. I remember there were some funny moments but I didn't give them any significance.

 

I decided to make a list of my favorite films of the year despite that I haven't seen a lot of movies including those which are in nominations for awards. I haven't seen Boyhood, Birdman, Whiplash, Mr.Turner, Inherent Vice etc.

 

Leviathan ( Andrey Zvyagintsev) I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure it will be in my top 10 list

 

Noah ( Darren Aranofsky) Two Jews ( another is a screenwriter) made an unorthodox take on Bible. The film remained an auteur cinema despite design of a blockbuster.

 

Stranger by the Lake ( Alain Guiraudie) An art house powerful thriller in gays' universe ( not a single female's character was involved)

 

Under the Skin ( Jonathan Glazer) An art house sci-fi ( British are very proud of it)

 

Nymphomaniac ( von Trier) A work of a genius and an idiot ( I did notice a lot of black humor here especially in Part 1, part 2 was so hard-core)

 

Two Days, One Night ( brothers Dardenne) Simple cinematography but a meaningful touching story ( also Marion Cotillard)

 

The Boxtrolls ( Laika animation film) Surprisingly thought provoking, I saw connections to revolution in Ukraine

 

Interstellar ( some less known director Christopher Nolan) Sound and visual powerful experience ( I heard there were people who watched it 8 times)

 

-------------------------------------

 

The most hated movies:

 

Hunger Games: Mockingjay 

Instructions Not Included ( Mexico)

 

-------------------------------------

 

Overrated:

 

Snowpiercer

Ida


Edited by mutabor - Yesterday at 3:19 pm
post #16382 of 16391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post

To say the truth I didn't notice black humor in Gone Girl. I remember there were some funny moments but I didn't give them any significance.

I decided to make a list of my favorite films of the year despite that I haven't seen a lot of movies including those which are in nominations for awards. I haven't seen Boyhood, Birdman, Whiplash, Mr.Turner, Inherent Vice etc.

Leviathan ( Andrey Zvyagintsev) I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure it will be in my top 10 list

Noah ( Darren Aranofsky) Two Jews ( another is a screenwriter) made an unorthodox take on Bible. The film remained an auteur cinema despite design of a blockbuster.

Stranger by the Lake ( Alain Guiraudie) An art house powerful thriller in gays' universe ( not a single female's character was involved)

Under the Skin ( Jonathan Glazer) An art house sci-fi ( British are very proud of it)

Nymphomaniac ( von Trier) A work of a genius and an idiot ( I did notice a lot of black humor here especially in Part 1, part 2 was so hard-core)

Two Days, One Night ( brothers Dardenne) Simple cinematography but a meaningful touching story ( also Marion Cotillard)

The Boxtrolls ( Laika animation film) Surprisingly thought provoking, I saw connections to revolution in Ukraine

Interstellar ( some less known director Christopher Nolan) Sound and visual powerful experience ( I heard there were people who watched it 8 times)


The most hated movies:
Hunger Games: Mockingjay 
Instructions Not Included ( Mexico)

I totally get you! smily_headphones1.gif

And from your list, I really want to watch "The Boxtrolls" as it looks like fun! smily_headphones1.gif
post #16383 of 16391
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFrequency View Post


Well, IMDB rate Gone Girl 8.4/10

And rottentomatoes.com have an average viewers rating of Gone Girl of 89% and also includes this critics consensus:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gone_girl

"Dark, intelligent and stylish to a fault, Gone Girl plays to director David Fincher's sick strengths while bringing the best out of stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike"

Certainly no mention of any dark humour there anyway.

I totally get you dislike Gone Girl and surely, we all have our own subjective opinions of course, just that yours is particularly critical and outside of the general viewers consensus.

I certainly didn't find your first spoiler "hilarious", in fact I found it horrific (the scene in which you refer to) and harrowing and as for your second spoiler, she totally changed her appearance from what she was before like day to night comparison. Maybe if she had worn a comedy false nose, spectacles and moustache as disguise then I would get your point, but she didn't so I can't.


You mean the Groucho Marx glasses don't count. If that's totally changed I'm not impressed. There are a million films that handled that subject better.

 

Dark, sure. Intelligent, not by several kilometers. Stylish???? Seven was stylish, this was something else entirely. Plays to Fincher's strengths, no way, his weakest film to date. Getting the best out of Ben or Rosamund is kinda like saying your dogs a genius because he learned to sit.

 

I don't really give a rats about what American audience consensus ratings (IMDB) or RT say. This is the same consumer group that feed the hollywood drivel machine into turning out endless brain dead "thrillers", films with titles that end in integers and remakes of remakes.

 

I eagerly await the sequel in which the Sister get's even by framing Rosamund for illegally parking in a handicapped zone.

post #16384 of 16391

Enigma - 5/10

 

Not sure how a movie about WWII code breakers could be so bad. I guess I also tend to dislike the films of Michael Apted.

Looking forward to "The Imitation Game" though.

 

 

BTW I skipped "Gone Girl" because I figured it'd be some dark/depressing movie where some missing person dies at the end. Was I wrong?

I hate movies like "Seven" and anything too grim or dark. I even avoided "Prisoners" because of this. When I was younger I watched a ton of depressing and sad movies, now I avoid them usually.

 

Speaking of that I also recently saw...

 

A Walk Between the Tombstones - 4/10

 

The voice-overs towards the end were just ridiculous..

 

BTW I didn't get to see Interstellar ten times (9). At my local theater it now has only one showtime! I miss seeing it every few days at 10pm every night after work. It was just a 1 minute drive away!

Only thing I didn't like about that is getting home at 1am and not being able to sleep because of thinking about it so much.

I actually got invited to see it next week but I think we're out of luck now. Only theater within 50 miles is only playing it at 9:20 at night.


Edited by tdockweiler - Yesterday at 8:03 pm
post #16385 of 16391

Someday all movies will be Interstellar;)

 

I hear that it is being shown in some spots in English with the English subtitles turned on.

post #16386 of 16391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post

Someday all movies will be Interstellar;)

I hear that it is being shown in some spots in English with the English subtitles turned on.

Oh hell no, I don't want speech dialogues filled in for 120 min. I rather have characters discuss these topics and find directions.

Snowpiecer: 8.5/10

I loved the political elememts in this film, especially how it ended. But, as a action movie, it lacks action, which is disappointing, since trains have a heck lots of tight hiding spaces for sudden attacks and excitment.

For what it is, it's pretty enjoyable.
post #16387 of 16391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015071 View Post
Snowpiecer: 8.5/10

I loved the political elememts in this film, especially how it ended. But, as a action movie, it lacks action, which is disappointing, since trains have a heck lots of tight hiding spaces for sudden attacks and excitment.

For what it is, it's pretty enjoyable.

Wow I saw the first half of this and my entire family gave up on it.  I've never been a fan of mindless action and violence but it was extra goofy in this.   There were so many insanely stupid/impractical/unrealistic in any universe things in this movie that no one  took it seriously.

post #16388 of 16391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


You mean the Groucho Marx glasses don't count. If that's totally changed I'm not impressed. There are a million films that handled that subject better.

Dark, sure. Intelligent, not by several kilometers. Stylish???? Seven was stylish, this was something else entirely. Plays to Fincher's strengths, no way, his weakest film to date. Getting the best out of Ben or Rosamund is kinda like saying your dogs a genius because he learned to sit.

I don't really give a rats about what American audience consensus ratings (IMDB) or RT say. This is the same consumer group that feed the hollywood drivel machine into turning out endless brain dead "thrillers", films with titles that end in integers and remakes of remakes.

I eagerly await the sequel in which the Sister get's even by framing Rosamund for illegally parking in a handicapped zone.

I've not watched "Seven" but may do so if it's as dark, stylish and intelligent as Gone Girl, especially if it has the same kind of quirky twist plot line.

IMDB score "Seven" 8.7/10 which is only the slightest of margins higher than Gone Girl so maybe I will like it though I also see that it runs at 127mins long so I guess this Director likes to make his movies quite long which tbh is one of my criticisms of Gone Girl and some movies in general.

You know what? If they do make a sequel to Gone Girl (despite it being maybe unlikely as there was no indication in the first film that there would be any continuation) I think it may provide further interesting insight into the methods and mind of dangerous psychopaths that, yes actually do exist and could be in many communities and pass off as "normal", so this is an important reason why I think Gone Girl is also a worthy film in that aspect too, but also as I have already mentioned, maybe that's because I've had personal experience of dealing with what I regard as a psychopath myself, to a lesser degree than character portrayed in Gone Girl, so you maybe get my points more.
post #16389 of 16391
Seven was quite good, definitely better than Gone Girl. I wouldn't call Gone Girl Fincher's worst film though, that title will forever belong to Alien 3.

Personal dealings with psychopaths probably gives you more insight and hits closer to home, but average watcher might find Gone Girl darkly humorous and satirical on many occasions. Just because IMDb doesn't list it as one, doesn't mean it can't be one.
post #16390 of 16391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zojokkeli View Post

Seven was quite good, definitely better than Gone Girl. I wouldn't call Gone Girl Fincher's worst film though, that title will forever belong to Alien 3.

Personal dealings with psychopaths probably gives you more insight and hits closer to home, but average watcher might find Gone Girl darkly humorous and satirical on many occasions. Just because IMDb doesn't list it as one, doesn't mean it can't be one.

i doubt the average watcher would disagree with IMDB's cateogorising of Gone Girl though but maybe yes, some may find "dark humour" in anything I guess as after all it's all subjective maybe.

I may well watch Seven though and hope that though it's quite a long running movie, it doesn't feel like it is, which is a bit like The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies which was so engrossing that it passed quicker despite IMO it being the weaker of the three films smily_headphones1.gif
post #16391 of 16391

Anchorman 2 10/10

 

Finally a movie to surpass dumb & dumber!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched