Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1075

post #16111 of 16121
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.  If I was ever to see it, I'd start it with much different expectations than other films.  
its good clean fun.
i have 2 movie watching hats. 1 for enjoying great cinema and storytelling and 1 for enjoying and testing the limits of my home theater (ie Godzilla 3D cool.gif). Great movies allow the wearing of both hats.
post #16112 of 16121

Under the Skin - 6/10

 

Very dull and beautiful at the same time.  The subtle lens between predator and prey in the compounds of modern society was a nice touch. However, the script and directing copies way too much of Lynch's style, IMO, and the story could have easily been stripped down to just 30 minutes.

post #16113 of 16121

Movie week overe here..

 

A most wanted man 7/10

Breakfast club 7.5/10

No country for old men 8/10

True romance 7/10

post #16114 of 16121

Trust (1990) - 6.0/10

 

Orpheus (1950) - 9.0/10

post #16115 of 16121

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - The Rebellion Story

 

Just watched this yesterday with subs. I have to say, this has got to be the most awesome anime I've ever watched. I already watched the original series, so the premise of the movie is clear to me. Still, huge twists near the end, with an ending providing a perfect setup to a new movie, or a Season 2.

 

Solid 8/10, though newcomers to the series will have to watch the series, or the prior two movies (which is essentially a series recap). Otherwise, they'll be confused to death.


Edited by thatBeatsguy - 9/30/14 at 6:03am
post #16116 of 16121

What I'm anticipating from The Inherent Vice ( director P.T. Anderson) is that there will be more depth in characters. It is a criminal story. But in comparison to for example American Hustle which did nothing to me and left me indifferent The Inherent Vice may have more nerve and weight in it. 

post #16117 of 16121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post
 

What I'm anticipating from The Inherent Vice ( director P.T. Anderson) is that there will be more depth in characters. It is a criminal story. But in comparison to for example American Hustle which did nothing to me and left me indifferent The Inherent Vice may have more nerve and weight in it. 

 

This is my most anticipated film of the year (one of my favorite directors adapting a novel from my favorite author), and I watched the trailer for it roughly half a dozen times last night, haha. If it resembles the book at all (and I think it likely will), I doubt you'll be disappointed. 

 

Edit: Also, it's worth noting that the novel itself isn't a straight crime story, or even a comedic crime story. At least, that's not all it is--there are also touches of surrealism and magical realism and satire--the sort of stuff that creeps into all of Pynchon's work. If the movie retains any of these elements, well then, that'll be just peachy. ^^

 

Edit #2: Actually, you might be disappointed if the movie additionally manages to carry over some of the more deliriously cartoonish settings, characters, and events, which, if I'm not mistaken, generally doesn't sit with you too well. It's just hard to tell how much of the book's tone will be present in the film judging solely on the trailer. I would expect the final product to fall more along the lines of The Big Lebowski than American Hustle, albeit it with a touch more gravitas than Lewbowski. Additionally, Pynchon is one of the foremost voices of American postmodern literature (even if Inherent Vice is one of his lightest works)--which again, I know generally doesn't sit with you. My personal excitement for the film might be getting the better of my judgement!


Edited by metalsonata - 9/30/14 at 11:18am
post #16118 of 16121
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Edit #2: Actually, you might be disappointed if the movie additionally manages to carry over some of the more deliriously cartoonish settings, characters, and events, which, if I'm not mistaken, generally doesn't sit with you too well. It's just hard to tell how much of the book's tone will be present in the film judging solely on the trailer. I would expect the final product to fall more along the lines of The Big Lebowski than American Hustle, albeit it with a touch more gravitas than Lewbowski. Additionally, Pynchon is one of the foremost voices of American postmodern literature (even if Inherent Vice is one of his lightest works)--which again, I know generally doesn't sit with you. My personal excitement for the film might be getting the better of my judgement!

 

I think that P.T. Anderson's style suits me well. We'll see.

 

The Boxtrolls ( 2014)

 

A pretty enjoyable Laika's animated movie. Visually a bit on ugly side ( not a cute animation) but still lighthearted.


Edited by mutabor - 9/30/14 at 1:26pm
post #16119 of 16121
I just watched Taken 2 after seeing the Taken 3 trailer which looks awesome.

I put off watching Taken 2 after the lacklustre reviews but actually I really enjoyed it, I'll give it a 7/10, I mean I can see why people may have not enjoyed it as much as the first one, and it's still not as good as the first but I think Neeson still put in a great performance.

I particularly enjoyed his final hand to hand combat fight at the end, I thought the choreography was pretty good.

Looking forward to Taken 3!
post #16120 of 16121

Godzilla 5/10

Not what i expected, pretty boring most of the time.  

post #16121 of 16121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICAL ESKIMO View Post

I just watched Taken 2 after seeing the Taken 3 trailer which looks awesome.

I put off watching Taken 2 after the lacklustre reviews but actually I really enjoyed it, I'll give it a 7/10, I mean I can see why people may have not enjoyed it as much as the first one, and it's still not as good as the first but I think Neeson still put in a great performance.

I particularly enjoyed his final hand to hand combat fight at the end, I thought the choreography was pretty good.

Looking forward to Taken 3!

 

IMO the first Taken is so good that the expectations for the second one was pretty high.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio-fi View Post
 

Godzilla 5/10

Not what i expected, pretty boring most of the time.  

 

Agreed, I find it quite boring myself.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched