or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1046

post #15676 of 19957

I found both movies somewhat similar, but also quite different... in style and premise. The Wolf of Wall Street seemed very much a satire while American Hustle has more of a character study thing going on. Personally, I couldn't rate them very much apart from each other, they are similarly accomplished cinematic works, in my opinion. I think it's a matter of taste that dictates which one is prefered to most people. American Hustle is aesthetically more pleasing and less redundant for me. American Hustle is only loosely based on a true story, it's not trying to depict events as they truly happened, or as claimed to have happened, like The Wolf of Wall Street (which is largely based on a book written by Jordan Belfort himself where it is all claimed to be true), but it depicts much less extreme stuff. American Hustle might come across as a very boring or pointless movie for some.


Edited by kkl10 - 5/21/14 at 12:14pm
post #15677 of 19957

Pompeii - 6.5/10

 

I actually kind of liked this. Believe it or not the best parts were when stuff was NOT blowing up. The chariot scene is totally ridiculous and something out of "2012". You know how when the person has only a .1% chance of living and ends up OK.

The acting could have been much worse. Storyline is pretty lame. I liked the gladiator scenes and the two main characters despite them not getting a lot of dialogue.

This one felt like a TV movie for some reason. I hope it didn't have a budget of 200 million.

 

I wouldn't suggest this for most people unless you can find it on Redbox. It's also only 1 hour and 37 minutes long!

 

I actually would rather see something like this than all that superhero crap they have out.

 

BTW I hope Emily Browning gets more movie roles. I feel bad saying this, but she kind of looked a bit sickly in this one.

 

Another BTW. We need more Gladiator movies!! I should go rewatch "Gladiator". 1st time I didn't like it but on the 2nd viewing it was much better.

 

 

 

 

 

post #15678 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Pompeii - 6.5/10

I actually kind of liked this. Believe it or not the best parts were when stuff was NOT blowing up. The chariot scene is totally ridiculous and something out of "2012". You know how when the person has only a .1% chance of living and ends up OK.
The acting could have been much worse. Storyline is pretty lame. I liked the gladiator scenes and the two main characters despite them not getting a lot of dialogue.
This one felt like a TV movie for some reason. I hope it didn't have a budget of 200 million.

I wouldn't suggest this for most people unless you can find it on Redbox. It's also only 1 hour and 37 minutes long!

I actually would rather see something like this than all that superhero crap they have out.

BTW I hope Emily Browning gets more movie roles. I feel bad saying this, but she kind of looked a bit sickly in this one.

Another BTW. We need more Gladiator movies!! I should go rewatch "Gladiator". 1st time I didn't like it but on the 2nd viewing it was much better.

I agree with you on all points. The cool part is that at least they clung to history and killed off everyone in the movie. No survivors, as the history books state. Also, why the f'k does Kiefer Sutherland sound so gay in the movie? That made me cringe considering he's the ultra-badass Jack Bauer.
post #15679 of 19957

Okay, I'm not going to rate this one cause I found myself unbelievably frustrated and annoyed by it within the first five mins. I did watch it in its entirety, but I'll have to wait until later after I've slept and can process wtf I just watched. Tentatively, I'll give it anywhere from a 4.5-8.8/10

 

 

 

 

 

post #15680 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

Okay, I'm not going to rate this one cause I found myself unbelievably frustrated and annoyed by it within the first five mins. I did watch it in its entirety, but I'll have to wait until later after I've slept and can process wtf I just watched. Tentatively, I'll give it anywhere from a 4.5-8.8/10

 

 

 

 

 

lol so precise score yet so unprecise :)

post #15681 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

Okay, I'm not going to rate this one cause I found myself unbelievably frustrated and annoyed by it within the first five mins. I did watch it in its entirety, but I'll have to wait until later after I've slept and can process wtf I just watched. Tentatively, I'll give it anywhere from a 4.5-8.8/10

 

I gave it a 9/10. The ending haunted me.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Of course the actor and the teacher were the same guy, with a girlfriend and a wife, an apartment and a house. The key to understanding some of the visuals is his visit to the private sex club and the spider served up on the silver platter. You see it again and again; the web of street car overhead cables, the nude girl waking upside down with the insectile head, the city sized daddy long legs, the spider web front windsheild after the crash, and the ending.
post #15682 of 19957

Cloud Atlas 10/10 seems to be incredibly underrated...

post #15683 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post
 

Cloud Atlas 10/10 seems to be incredibly underrated...

 

I hated this at the theater but felt I would have probably loved it if it was 10 hours long! It felt like it needed to be much longer.

Each storyline could have had it's own movie!

 

They should have had Peter Jackson direct it and make it into 4 movies. Adding armies of robots for no reason at all also helps.

post #15684 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

 

I hated this at the theater but felt I would have probably loved it if it was 10 hours long! It felt like it needed to be much longer.

Each storyline could have had it's own movie!

 

They should have had Peter Jackson direct it and make it into 4 movies. Adding armies of robots for no reason at all also helps.

It was meant to be a single overarching story and I thought it managed to accomplish that. The six sub plots were interwoven beautifully and there we so many fine yet subtle constituents throughout. 

post #15685 of 19957

A few nights ago, out of dear spousal love, I suffered through "Olympus Has Fallen" 2/10.  Damn I love my wife.  I hate to say it, but if movie watchers from other countries watched this film, and didn't know any better, or has personally been involved with the government/military such as I, they would think this country is run by the biggest idiots and morons.  If I wasn't a Morgan Freeman fan, I would've docked off another point.  I have since boycotted any films directed by the director and/or written by the screen writers.

 

In retribution, I pulled from my movie shelf what I consider one of the greatest, modern American films, "Forest Gump" - a solid 10/10.  It never fails to make my eyes water and my throat choke from emotional lumps, one after another.


Edited by alpha421 - 5/22/14 at 9:42am
post #15686 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post

A few nights ago, out of dear spousal love, I suffered through "Olympus Has Fallen" 2/10.  Damn I love my wife.  I hate to say it, but if movie watchers from other countries watched this film, and didn't know any better, or has personally been involved with the government/military such as I, they would think this country is run by the biggest idiots and morons.  If I wasn't a Morgan Freeman fan, I would've docked off another point.  I have since boycotted any films directed by the director and/or written by the screen writers.



 



In retribution, I pulled from my movie shelf what I consider one of the greatest, modern American films, "Forest Gump" - a solid 10/10.  It never fails to make my eyes water and my throat choke from emotional lumps, one after another.


 



I have a similar reaction to Forrest Gump as you have to Olympus Has Fallen.
post #15687 of 19957

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) - 9

Lust, betrayal, failed conspiracies, redemption. This silent pearl portrays a romantic tale where true love and loyalty overcome the strongest lust subversions. Nameless characters are archetypes in a universal and touching story. How bewildering it is to witness the changes undergone by Cinema through only one generation! Pedantic pathos, naïve mindset and technical rawness seem relics of prehistoric times, and turn this movie into a living fossil predating civilization and even time itself. In large degree, it's the wonderfully accomplished vision of Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, and the numerous cinematographic innovations that support it, what contributes to the intemporal and surreal quality of this work. And despite the age, Sunrise is still emotionally gripping, suspenseful and occasionally hilarious, even if unwittingly so. In fact, this is one of the few masterpieces able to offer me a cinematic experience almost as riveting as a waking dream. First movie directed in Hollywood by F. W. Murnau, one of the leading figures of German Expressionism in Cinema. This masterpiece is mandatory watch for any cinephile!


Edited by kkl10 - 5/23/14 at 4:45am
post #15688 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) - 9



 



Lust, betrayal, failed conspiracies and redemption. This pearl of Silent Cinema portrays a romantic tale where true love and loyalty overcome the strongest lust subversions. Nameless characters are archetypes in a universal and touching story. It's bewildering to witness the change that Cinema has gone through since only a generation ago. The pedantic pathos, naïve mindset and technical signature seem relics of prehistoric times, and turn this movie into a living fossil predating civilization or even time itself. In large degree, it's the wonderfully accomplished vision of Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, and the numerous cinematographic innovations that support it, what contributes to the intemporal and surreal quality of this work. This is one of the few masterpieces able to offer me a cinematic experience almost as idiosyncratic as a waking dream. And despite the age, Sunrise is still emotionally gripping, suspenseful and occasionally hilarious, even if unwittingly so... Ever wondered how flying angels would look like in a silent film? Or a drunken pig? Well, this is the place to find out. First movie directed in Hollywood by F. W. Murnau, one of the leading figures of German Expressionism in Cinema. This masterpiece is mandatory watch for any cinephile!


 



Agreed. I saw this on 35mm with a live band, still to this date the best movie-going experience I've had, which is really saying something.
post #15689 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
 

lol so precise score yet so unprecise :)

 

lol, sorry...it was just totally the opposite of what I expected...there's just no way you could ever see a film like this coming. 

 

I've been thinking about it quite a bit today and a lot of it fits into place, but a lot of it doesn't...I usually really like the projects J.Gyllenhal chooses, but I don't know if I can offer anything constructive on this one. I can't remember the last time that happened!

post #15690 of 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

 

I gave it a 9/10. The ending haunted me.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

 

It started me for sure...I find myself going back to the comment he made early in the film during his lecture about the various methods that dictatorships employ when it comes to controlling/taking over the masses. I find myself wanting to make sense of it on a deeper level, though, and it's not quite clicking. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched