or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1032

post #15466 of 19947

There Will Be Blood (2007) - 8

 

This film is largely enriched by the charismatic and distorted personality of the main character, but I feel it's a very big stage for just one man like Plainview. I felt lack of justification for his ways. I didn't see character development as much as I saw portrayal, sometimes almost sensationalistic, of a caricature. It leaves me wanting for something more fulfilling even if I try to appreciate it as is. Plainview didn't fill his stage as sapiently as Charles Foster Kane filled his, in my opinion. But maybe it's not fair to evaluate There Will Be Blood in such manner, there are other qualities in this work. The acting is pretty good all around, especially Daniel Day-Lewis who plays the oblique main character. I'd say There Will Be Blood could be seen as an allegory for the conflict between Capitalism and Morality on both personal and social levels. Fortunately, this is a very pleasing movie to watch, beautiful cinematography, fantastic camera work, singular soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood (although a few weird moments). I enjoyed this movie very much but I feel it could be more... sapient. I admire this work mostly for the aesthetical accomplishment.


Edited by kkl10 - 4/11/14 at 10:46am
post #15467 of 19947
2001: A Space Odyssey
Rating: 4.5/5

One of the most breathtakingly beautiful movies ever put to film, and among the most intellectually resonant, 2001 is one of the essential cinematic experiences for any fan of science fiction or great filmmaking in general.

A far cry from the CGI-loaded action fantasy flicks that unfortunately qualify as sci-fi today, 2001 explores plausible future technologies and (as far as possible given the technology and techniques of the day, some of which were developed specifically for the film) attempts to replicate the reality of microgravity living at a time when space travel seemed barely imaginable to many. But the real draw of Kubrick's genre classic is the metaphysical and the philosophical. 2001's faceless and seemingly omnipotent alien beings, known only through their technology and a mind-bending journey induced by it at the movie's climax, will forever haunt the imagination of those who open their minds to the experience.

2001 is undeniably a monumemt to human imagination, and considered by many the greatest science fiction film ever made. Such sentiments are difficult to argue with. See it. Expect a flawed but spectacular take on a dying genre, limited by anything but imagination. Contrast it to so many of today's movies, limited by nothing but imagination, and ask yourself whether that next multimillion dollar SFX extravaganza is genuine art, or little more than cynical big-business money grabbing. Movies like 2001 are what we need more of. Not the emotionally stunted Elysium. Not the Abrams-ified Star Trek. (Sorry to those who like those movies; this is my humble opinion only, and I respect that you will have your own view.)
post #15468 of 19947

Shultes ( 2008, Russia) 9/10

 

 

Shultes is a film about a pocket thief-sociopath. It depicts emptiness of life and personal social degradation like no other in my memory. Russian films in this regard are different from for example American films that they are brutally honest and achieve life-like realism ( depressive and excruciating) in expense of entertainment while the latter always keep in mind entertainment factor with a strong censorship-like tendency to preserve positive outlook. 


Edited by mutabor - 4/9/14 at 6:48am
post #15469 of 19947

Never Let Me Go (2010). 8.5/10 Thumbs up. Based on the Kazuo Ishiguro book of the same name. Remains of the Day was also based on his book. The film follows three children; two girls and a boy. Netflix classifies it as a science fiction drama. There are no aliens, no outright CGI, only a school of children who never get a chance to... It's a very well told story, easy to follow, characters you care about. This is the third film with Carey Mulligan that I've seen recently (Nebraska, An Education). Keira Knightley is the other girl and the boy is Andrew Garfield (Social Network). Another film with Keira and Carey is the 2005 Pride & Prejudice (which is in my queue).

 

Roger Ebert gives Never Let Me Go 4 stars, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

 

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/never-let-me-go-2010

post #15470 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

Never Let Me Go (2010). 8.5/10 Thumbs up. Based on the Kazuo Ishiguro book of the same name. Remains of the Day was also based on his book. The film follows three children; two girls and a boy. Netflix classifies it as a science fiction drama. There are no aliens, no outright CGI, only a school of children who never get a chance to... It's a very well told story, easy to follow, characters you care about. This is the third film with Carey Mulligan that I've seen recently (Nebraska, An Education). Keira Knightley is the other girl and the boy is Andrew Garfield (Social Network). Another film with Keira and Carey is the 2005 Pride & Prejudice (which is in my queue).

 

Roger Ebert gives Never Let Me Go 4 stars, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

 

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/never-let-me-go-2010

 

Have you read the novel, or any of Ishiguro's other works? Simply beautiful. I'm also sort of afraid of his novel The Unconsoled, but that's a long story, lol.

post #15471 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

Never Let Me Go (2010). 8.5/10 Thumbs up. Based on the Kazuo Ishiguro book of the same name. Remains of the Day was also based on his book. The film follows three children; two girls and a boy. Netflix classifies it as a science fiction drama. There are no aliens, no outright CGI, only a school of children who never get a chance to... It's a very well told story, easy to follow, characters you care about. This is the third film with Carey Mulligan that I've seen recently (Nebraska, An Education). Keira Knightley is the other girl and the boy is Andrew Garfield (Social Network). Another film with Keira and Carey is the 2005 Pride & Prejudice (which is in my queue).

 

Roger Ebert gives Never Let Me Go 4 stars, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

 

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/never-let-me-go-2010

 

Have you read the novel, or any of Ishiguro's other works? Simply beautiful. I'm also sort of afraid of his novel The Unconsoled, but that's a long story, lol.

 

No, but now I want to. :)

post #15472 of 19947

The Grey - 4/10

 

Worst "survival" story i've ever seen. Just 2 hours of watching people get murdered by a pack of wolves. Not much else to it. Just some extra dramatic nonsense thrown in before someone gets eaten by wolves.

This is actually even worse than the remake of "Flight of the Phoenix". Can't believe that's possible..

 

Have you seen "Ghost and the Darkness"? That one was much better...so was "Snakes on a Plane" and "Deep Blue Sea"..no, really.

 

Haven't seen Sharknado yet but I bet it's more accurate than The Grey..

post #15473 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

The Grey - 4/10

 

Worst "survival" story i've ever seen. Just 2 hours of watching people get murdered by a pack of wolves. Not much else to it. Just some extra dramatic nonsense thrown in before someone gets eaten by wolves.

 

 

This was basically my exact criticism of Jurassic Park...the CGI at the time was awesome, but after the first half hour the novelty wore off and to me it was just a "run for your life" film. 

post #15474 of 19947

I actually really liked The Grey. Yeah, it was totally unrealistic and very predictable, but I appreciated that it wasn't just characters getting knocked off one after the other (well, after a certain point). I liked that they had time to talk and be developed and even philosophize a bit, and I think Liam Neeson's character was an interesting contradiction. It's exactly the sort of 'B' movie I wish was made more often.

post #15475 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

The Grey - 4/10

 

Worst "survival" story i've ever seen. Just 2 hours of watching people get murdered by a pack of wolves. Not much else to it. Just some extra dramatic nonsense thrown in before someone gets eaten by wolves.

This is actually even worse than the remake of "Flight of the Phoenix". Can't believe that's possible..

 

Have you seen "Ghost and the Darkness"? That one was much better...so was "Snakes on a Plane" and "Deep Blue Sea"..no, really.

 

Haven't seen Sharknado yet but I bet it's more accurate than The Grey..

That's ridiculous - Liam Neeson doesn't have bad movies. The only movies with him that aren't super awesome are the ones in which he doesn't get enough screen time. Now, The Ghost and the Darkness was a great movie but it was a very high budget movie for its time unlike The Grey. And mentioning Snakes on a Plane and Deep Blue See is a low blow coz the motherf**** Samuel L. Jackson is in both of them and let's not forget Thomas Jane also stars in the latter. As far as The Grey, I think it was pretty decent for what it is but it would have been better if they added a bunch more scenes with him killing wolves with bare hands instead of trying to make it more like The Edge. 

Oh, and Sharknado was hilarious - I literally peed myself when the guy poured some gasoline in a swimming pool with a shark in it and the whole pool exploded (and yeah, the pool was filled with water LOL).


Edited by kova4a - 4/10/14 at 9:28pm
post #15476 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
 

That's ridiculous - Liam Neeson doesn't have bad movies. The only movies with him that aren't super awesome are the ones in which he doesn't get enough screen time. Now, The Ghost and the Darkness was a great movie but it was a very high budget movie for its time unlike The Grey. And mentioning Snakes on a Plane and Deep Blue See is a low blow coz the motherf**** Samuel L. Jackson is in both of them and let's not forget Thomas Jane also stars in the latter. As far as The Grey, I think it was pretty decent for what it is but it would have been better if they added a bunch more scenes with him killing wolves with bare hands instead of trying to make it more like The Edge

Oh, and Sharknado was hilarious - I literally peed myself when the guy poured some gasoline in a swimming pool with a shark in it and the whole pool exploded (and yeah, the pool was filled with water LOL).

Well maybe if they had access to David Mamets writing the book adaptation would have gone smoother. Now granted it was no Ice Soldiers either.................;)

post #15477 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 

Well maybe if they had access to David Mamets writing the book adaptation would have gone smoother. Now granted it was no Ice Soldiers either.................;)

LOL Ice Soldiers. I have to admit I'm a huge movie buff and have watched thousands of movies, so when I've seen so much bad movies I can't rate the not-as-bad ones as low as other people. How can I give The Grey a 4 while there are movies like Ghost Shark 1 and 2 out there? I actually rarely would give that low score even to movies like that coz often the condition I'm in while watching them is this 

And honestly I would rate them for what they are - cheap straight to TV flicks with very low budget and a ridiculously hilarious premise, so I can't be comparing them to high budget blockbusters or just movies that can afford to have good actors in them or pay for a screenwriter. That's why I'm rarely disappointed. Now, if a movie has high budget, great actors and sucks I'm ready to bash on it for years. My friends still like to tease me with Skyfall coz now that's a movie that deserves a 4 at best.


Edited by kova4a - 4/10/14 at 9:52pm
post #15478 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
 

LOL Ice Soldiers. I have to admit I'm a huge movie buff and have watched thousands of movies, so when I've seen so much bad movies I can't rate the not-as-bad ones as low as other people. How can I give The Grey a 4 while there are movies like Ghost Shark 1 and 2 out there? I actually rarely would give that low score even to movies like that coz often the condition I'm in while watching them is this 

And honestly I would rate them for what they are - cheap straight to TV flicks with very low budget and a ridiculously hilarious premise, so I can't be comparing them to high budget blockbusters or just movies that can afford to have good actors in them or pay for a screenwriter. That's why I'm rarely disappointed. Now, if a movie has high budget, great actors and sucks I'm ready to bash on it for years. My friends still like to tease me with Skyfall coz now that's a movie that deserves a 4 at best.


B movies rock. Probably deserve their very own thread. I'd put Skyfall in there as well.

post #15479 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 


B movies rock. Probably deserve their very own thread. I'd put Skyfall in there as well.

Yeay, B movies are entertaining but nowadyas they don't rock as much as they did in their golden age - the 90s. The B movies were so fun back then and all the actors where awesome - Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Dolph Lundgren, Billy Blanks, Don The Dragon Wilson, Chuck Norris, Eric Roberts etc. - great stuff.

post #15480 of 19947
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
 

Yeay, B movies are entertaining but nowadyas they don't rock as much as they did in their golden age - the 90s. The B movies were so fun back then and all the actors where awesome - Van Damme, Steven Seagal, Dolph Lundgren, Billy Blanks, Don The Dragon Wilson, Chuck Norris, Eric Roberts etc. - great stuff.


Three words Evil Roy Slade

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched