or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1029

post #15421 of 20165

Noah -- 0 / 10

 

...

 

A ridiculous piece of cinema detritus.

post #15422 of 20165

^Thanks for confirming my intuition on that flick.  I'll spend my money else where.

post #15423 of 20165
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

^Thanks for confirming my intuition on that flick.  I'll spend my money else where.

 

 

lol...I haven't seen the film so don't have an opinion one way or the other, but some guy on the internet says it's crap and that's it for you? 

post #15424 of 20165

Nope.  75% intuition, 25% other peoples opinions.  Besides, I'm partial with remakes of any biblical themes. I longer see films just for the special effects and the damn theaters around here seems to only show the 3D or IMAX version during my lunch breaks. Also, the last films that I thought Crowe excelled in was of course 'Gladiator' and 'A Beautiful Mind.'  It may get a chance in the Netflix cue, but I don't count on it.

post #15425 of 20165
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

Nope.  75% intuition, 25% other peoples opinions.  Besides, I'm partial with remakes of any biblical themes. I longer see films just for the special effects and the damn theaters around here seems to only show the 3D or IMAX version during my lunch breaks. Also, the last films that I thought Crowe excelled in was of course 'Gladiator' and 'A Beautiful Mind.'  It may get a chance in the Netflix cue, but I don't count on it.

 

 

I see...one of the things I look for is the disparity (or lack thereof) between the critics rating and the consumer rating on rotten tomatoes. When both agree, chances are it's a pretty good indication of the film's quality/entertainment value. But in the case of Noah, the critics give it a relatively high score but the consumers have scored it much lower. So that's a bit of a red flag for me. 

post #15426 of 20165

hmmm. I genuinely don't remember the golf joke in the book. I believe you, but weird. My point remains valid though. the movie is absolute trash. 

post #15427 of 20165

I finally saw The Hunger Games Catching Fire. Thought it was even better than the first one. 9/10

post #15428 of 20165

Noah ( 2014) 8/10

 

I have only seen Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan which I really liked. Noah exploits one of the most difficult ideas in religions: the world is evil and it shouldn't have existed in the first place. Especially directly and openly this idea is presented in Buddhism and some directions of Hinduism ( the main goal of a practitioner is that he will not be born again or that he reaches salvation). In Christianity this view is also present but not openly declared. 

 

So Noah interpreted his inner visions from God that he must end existence of humanity. Unfortunately as you might guess he didn't accomplish his noble mission otherwise I wouldn't have written movie reviews on this site which btw propagates sinful squander. I think that Aronofsky as in his Black Swan succeeded to show inner conflict of a protagonist. As we follow the conflict we experience how contradictory and confusing it is. 

 

Quote:
 Noah is not Aronofsky's best work, but the auteur delves deep into the convoluted psyche of the central character much as he did with his masterpieces Black Swan and The Wrestler.

 

Quote:
 Aronofsky was trying to sit on two chairs making an expensive blockbuster and at the same time providing his personal vision which is less accessible. Noah is too smart for a blockbuster and too blockbuster-ish for auteur cinema.

 

P.S. It was a pleasure to watch Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson. 


Edited by mutabor - 4/3/14 at 2:11am
post #15429 of 20165

Wendy and Lucy (2008). Directed by Kelly Reichardt, stars Michelle Williams (Dick, The Station Agent, Blue Valentine, Shutter Island). There's something soothing about watching this film. Wendy's determination just to make it through the day. The simple things; what to eat, where to sleep, finding Lucy. Found this on a criterion forum top ten list for 2008. I bumped it to thetop of my netflix dvd queue and after watching it twice, I agree. 8.5/10

 

I see Kelly Reichardt also directed Michelle Williams in the 2011 film Meek's Cutoff. I'll see this one very soon.

 

Citizen Ruth (1996). Directed by Alexander Payne (Election, About Schmidt, Sideways, Nebraska), stars Laura Dern, Mary Kay Place (Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Being John Malkovich), Burt Reynolds, Tippi Hedren. You can't recognize her, but Dianne Ladd plays Ruth's mother. Alexander Payne's debut film - a good one. I'll be following Payne's films. 8/10

post #15430 of 20165
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

Wendy and Lucy (2008). Directed by Kelly Reichardt

 

I remember having a glimpse of this movie long ago, it made a positive impression on me.

Thx for remainding me, will try to check it out again.

post #15431 of 20165
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
 

Noah -- 0 / 10

 

...

 

A ridiculous piece of cinema detritus.

 

so to recap one of your reviews:

 

the hangover 10/10    :rolleyes:

post #15432 of 20165

"Gravity" - Netflix version on a 60 inch plasma in a theater room, courtesy of my friend with deep pockets - 8/10

 

So I didn't see this movie in IMAX format when it was in theaters, I kind of regret that because this film was meant for the really big screens, and around here there's nothing bigger than the one at the Pacific Science IMAX theater.  My spouse and I were surprised that we were 100% engaged watching essentially just one person in motion.  I accredit  the outstanding directing, which by itself I give a 9/10.  It's amazing how immersive the picture and character point of view were.

 

The script and acting 8/10.  I felt nothing was cheesy or overly dramatic.  I especially liked the imagery of Sandra's fetal-like, floating position, which I felt had a strong relevance for the duration of the film. If I had to nitpick anything in the film, it would be Sandra's attire.  Don't get me wrong, she looked great in just the tank top and tight boxers, but the germ-phobe in me would be wearing some full length, layered suit under a spacesuit worn by other folks with a possibility of lesser hygiene standards.

post #15433 of 20165
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

"Gravity" - Netflix version on a 60 inch plasma in a theater room, courtesy of my friend with deep pockets - 8/10

 

So I didn't see this movie in IMAX format when it was in theaters, I kind of regret that because this film was meant for the really big screens, and around here there's nothing bigger than the one at the Pacific Science IMAX theater.  My spouse and I were surprised that we were 100% engaged watching essentially just one person in motion.  I accredit  the outstanding directing, which by itself I give a 9/10.  It's amazing how immersive the picture and character point of view were.

 

The script and acting 8/10.  I felt nothing was cheesy or overly dramatic.  I especially liked the imagery of Sandra's fetal-like, floating position, which I felt had a strong relevance for the duration of the film. If I had to nitpick anything in the film, it would be Sandra's attire.  Don't get me wrong, she looked great in just the tank top and tight boxers, but the germ-phobe in me would be wearing some full length, layered suit under a spacesuit worn by other folks with a possibility of lesser hygiene standards.

 

That brings up an interesting question, actually...I wonder what sorts of bacteria are able to survive in space...wonder if there are a bunch of anaerobes floating around up there 

post #15434 of 20165

Stranger by the Lake / L'inconnu du lac (2013) 8.7/10

 

 

Director Alain Guiraudie creates pretty unique microcosm in his film. It is a gays' universe where men's sexuality and lust is not restrained by male-female complexes: it is straightforward and explicit and animal-like. Thus the director created a perfect playground for a Hitchcockian thriller where sexual obsession reached a predator-prey sinister intensity and where self-destructive behavior of a prey was an interesting psychological twist . But the strangest character was the one who was "a predator" and a prey simultaneously. 


Edited by mutabor - 5/26/14 at 7:31am
post #15435 of 20165

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - a solid 8/10.  The highest I've given out all the Marvel based motion pictures.  The script is consistent to the comics, and the message is very relevant in the current world. Very entertaining.  Also, like most Marvel movies, stay and wait for the credits to cycle through to get a few minutes look into what's brewing for future installments.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched