Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1025

post #15361 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post
 

 

To say the truth I found the movie surprisingly disappointing. I felt boredom in the air when I watched it in a movie theater.

 

 

I think that this film should be watched without any dubbing, really it takes away a lot of the charm and nuance from the caricatural characters here. It's a very intelligent and funny work, it may get better with time or repeated views. Even if one is not emotionally moved or entertained by American Hustle it's undeniable the competence of cinematic craft in display. Sexy and charming movie.

post #15362 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post
 

 

^^^ Crap, that's all crap! I re-watched American Hustle and now I wonder what the hell was I thinking when I wrote all that Bull***. Any critique I made concern only details of this master work. Hell, I love this movie so inteligent and so well done, it invites us to a wonderfull dance, an amazingly engaging emotional ride, seems like the very first time I saw it there was some Cognitive Dissonance going on or something... I take back all my negative commentaries about the incoherence, editing and tone, this is nothing less than a master work. Classic! Revaluating to 9,5.

 

Glad to see you come around. ^^

post #15363 of 16431

Nymphomaniac: Volume I ( 2013) 8.5/10

 

 

I will copy-paste kkl10's words about American Hustle here because they suit Nymphomaniac very well... in a comical way:

 

"I think that Nymphomaniac should be watched without any dubbing, really it takes away a lot of the charm and nuance from the caricatural characters here. It's a very intelligent and funny work, it may get better with time or repeated views. Even if one is not emotionally moved or entertained by Nymphomaniac it's undeniable the competence of cinematic craft in display. Sexy and charming :duggfloat: movie."

 

Nymphomaniac is one of the funniest movies I've watched in a long time despite its serious and even solemn tone. It is difficult to distinguish whether Lars is kidding or he is sincere in his weirdness or both. There is no satire in his style but Lars is definitely a master troll who has reached heavenly heights. 

post #15364 of 16431

What an absolutely beautiful piece of film making...I truly enjoyed this one!

 

 

"Nebraska" - 9.5/10

 

 

post #15365 of 16431

About Schmidt (2002). 8/10. Directed by Alexander Payne (Nebraska, Sideways, Election). Jack Nicholson, Hope Davis, June Squibb (Scent of a Woman, Nebraska). So this is retirement? I like how Schmidt's real thoughts are revealed. Too bad June Squibb's character couldn't have had more screen time - she almost stole the show in Nebraska, and I immediately recognize her from first seeing her in Scent of a Woman. I like the deleted scenes, in that Alexander Payne reveals the background on each scene, why it was cut, and they show where it would have fit in the film. There's one that's a homage to Five Easy Pieces' no substitutions diner scene.

post #15366 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

What an absolutely beautiful piece of film making...I truly enjoyed this one!

 

 

"Nebraska" - 9.5/10

 

 

 

Wow, gmta - I was just typing my review of About Schmidt, another Alexander Payne film. Nebraska was my #1 film for 2013, and I agree with 9.5. Citizen Ruth (1996) is the next one up by Payne.

post #15367 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

 

Wow, gmta - I was just typing my review of About Schmidt, another Alexander Payne film. Nebraska was my #1 film for 2013, and I agree with 9.5. Citizen Ruth (1996) is the next one up by Payne.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

What an absolutely beautiful piece of film making...I truly enjoyed this one!

 

 

"Nebraska" - 9.5/10

 

 

 Reminds me of this!

post #15368 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin vegas View Post
Reminds me of this!

 

Love The Straight Story. :)

post #15369 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

 

Wow, gmta - I was just typing my review of About Schmidt, another Alexander Payne film. Nebraska was my #1 film for 2013, and I agree with 9.5. Citizen Ruth (1996) is the next one up by Payne.

 

 

Wow, I actually had no idea he also directed About Schmidt...I loved that film, and now I know another reason why. That's actually one I would love to revisit...Jack Nicholson's letters to the kid he sponsored in Africa alone are worth another viewing...and wow, I literally have not even heard the title Citizen Ruth since I actually saw the film when it was in theaters...that may be another one worth a second viewing, cause I love Laura Dern and remember enjoying it quite a lot. 

 

Glad you felt the same way about Nebraska...even though critics loved it, I saw a lot of consumer reviews where people took shots at it. To me, though, it was darn near perfect for what it was...how good was Bruce Dern? And how bout the casting choices for the brothers...Odenkirk I knew had some acting talent, but Will Forte? I never would have even thought to cast him in that role, but he did a fine job. And I agree with you 100% about June Squibb...she was a riot...particularly in the cemetery lol

post #15370 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

 

Wow, I actually had no idea he also directed About Schmidt...I loved that film, and now I know another reason why. That's actually one I would love to revisit...Jack Nicholson's letters to the kid he sponsored in Africa alone are worth another viewing...and wow, I literally have not even heard the title Citizen Ruth since I actually saw the film when it was in theaters...that may be another one worth a second viewing, cause I love Laura Dern and remember enjoying it quite a lot.

 

Glad you felt the same way about Nebraska...even though critics loved it, I saw a lot of consumer reviews where people took shots at it. To me, though, it was darn near perfect for what it was...how good was Bruce Dern? And how bout the casting choices for the brothers...Odenkirk I knew had some acting talent, but Will Forte? I never would have even thought to cast him in that role, but he did a fine job. And I agree with you 100% about June Squibb...she was a riot...particularly in the cemetery lol

 

Have you seen Election? I agree, Nebraska was very well cast, and Will Fort surprised me. I hope he does more serious roles.

post #15371 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractus2 View Post
 

 

Have you seen Election? I agree, Nebraska was very well cast, and Will Fort surprised me. I hope he does more serious roles.

 

 

I had to think about that...I believe I did see it, but it was when I was up late or something and only saw like half of it. I remember sitting down to watch it with an ex, but I remember very little about the movie. Sounds like maybe I need to add that one to my list too, eh? 

post #15372 of 16431

Watched "Monsters" (2010) on Prime last night.  Plot is eerie regarding a young couple that are trapped in Mexico and are emotionally trying to get back to the states through the "infected" zone.  Sound effects were decent through my iGrados and plot/locations wasn't bad.  Decent late night watch, I would give it 7/10, was entertaining.

post #15373 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide1 View Post
 

Watched "Monsters" (2010) on Prime last night.  Plot is eerie regarding a young couple that are trapped in Mexico and are emotionally trying to get back to the states through the "infected" zone.  Sound effects were decent through my iGrados and plot/locations wasn't bad.  Decent late night watch, I would give it 7/10, was entertaining.


Well done for keeping iGrados on for that long!

post #15374 of 16431

Kumonosu-jō (Throne of Blood) (1957) - 8,5
 

Magical film from Akira Kurosawa. The japanese director made Macbeth, play by Shakespeare, the pseudo-script for this film temporally set in Sengoku period in Japan. Very inspired cinematic glance at the eternal tale about the thirst for power led to the limits of sanity and self-integrity of men. Throne of Blood easily transports me into a dreamlike, haunted world but there are a few dragging moments that distract a bit. The nature of the acting is ludicrously caricatural as was customary in this period, this brought good and bad things to my experience but in the end I always like it because everything has a way to flow coherently in old japanese cinema for which I've been lusting these times. Beautiful film, recommended!

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

What an absolutely beautiful piece of film making...I truly enjoyed this one!

 

 

"Nebraska" - 9.5/10

 

I liked it as well, very nice.


Edited by kkl10 - 3/26/14 at 1:15pm
post #15375 of 16431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide1 View Post
 

Watched "Monsters" (2010) on Prime last night.  Plot is eerie regarding a young couple that are trapped in Mexico and are emotionally trying to get back to the states through the "infected" zone.  Sound effects were decent through my iGrados and plot/locations wasn't bad.  Decent late night watch, I would give it 7/10, was entertaining.

 

Interesting movie. I sought it out as the director, Gareth Edwards, is directing the new Godzilla 2014 with Bryan Cranston, and that crazy lizard. :D

 

Two Mads Mikkelsen recently:

 

Pusher (1996) last week. Winding Refn's first. 7.5/10.

 

The Hunt (2012) today. 8/10. Excellent.


Edited by fractus2 - 3/26/14 at 6:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched