Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1010

post #15136 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015071 View Post

Do you guys watch movies online? If so, specify your website.

Netflix..
post #15137 of 16287

American Hustle 7.5/10

 

I'm not sure what to think about this film. At the beginning I thought: why do I have to watch another Scorsese movie? Though I didn't get bored, I never felt connected to the story and characters. Dubbing into Russian probably killed some nuances in conversations.

 

So I didn't really enjoy the film and I have nothing to say about it except that I don't understand all the hype around Jennifer Lawrence - a bland overrated actress in my opinion. 

 

Quote:
 Martin Scorsese has his Goodfellas. David O. Russell answers with his Mediocre-fellas.
Quote:
 "American Hustle" is marginally entertaining, and ultimately not a satisfying movie-going experience.
post #15138 of 16287

Berlinale rewards Asian cinema

 

Hollywood stars may have dominated the red carpets at the Berlin Film Festival, but it was Chinese cinema that swept the board at the awards ceremony.

Compared to other festivals in Cannes or London, the Berlinale has always been more inclined to select films for the international festival circuit rather than big box office draws. This year was no exception.

The Golden Bear for Best Film went to Chinese crime thriller ‘Black Coal, Thin Ice’ by Diao Yinan about a washed-up ex-cop investigating a series of grisly murders. The film also earned its lead Liao Fan the Silver Bear for Best Actor.

Haru Kuroki won the Silver Bear for Best Actress for her role in ‘The Little House’, the story of an adulterous affair set in an bourgeois household in Tokyo during World War Two.

Richard Linklater received the Silver Bear for Best Film Director for ‘Boyhood’, a coming-of-age tale shot over 12 years with the same cast, including Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette. The film also picked up the top honor from the German Art House Cinemas Guild.

And the Silver Bear Grand Jury prize went to the festival’s opening movie, Wes Anderson’s historical caper ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’.

post #15139 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015071 View Post

Do you guys watch movies online? If so, specify your website.
No, i download movies on Torrents. This website is good >> kickass.to
post #15140 of 16287
Knights of Badassdom (2013) horrible/10


Peter Dinklage capitalizing on Game of Thrones?
Stoner flick?
Fantasy/Comedy (fail)?

Who is the target audience for this mess?
Awful, just awful and painful to watch until the end.

The Monuments Men (2014) 5.9/10


Mediocre portrayal of a true story.
Blase at best.

Adult World (2013) 6/10


John Cusack rebuffs a would be poet that tries too hard to be a somebody, when her reality is a job in an adult sex store after graduation from university.
post #15141 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post


No, i download movies on Torrents. This website is good >> kickass.to

 

Sorry but, I don't do torrents anymore. I want my computer to be save from viruses.

 

Anyways here's a 2D vs 3D moment

 

2D The Princess and the Frog: 9.01/10

 

This movie is a utter joy. The music is fantastic, the characters are very good, and the animation is the same level as The Little Mermaid. Sadly, the story is too mediocre, but having a good message saved the story a little bit. But it's still a tons of Disney fun.

 

3D Tangled: 9.23/10

 

THE STORY IS BRILLIANT, GENIUS, SMART AND THOUGHT OUT. BRILLIANT!!! The characters are also likable, and THAT HORSE IS CRAZY. The animation is great, especially the King and Queen of Rapunzel. They showed a heck lots of emotions though the face. WOW. But, the songs aren't good. Those songs pops up suddenly and it doesn't have a start. Actually, if there is no songs at all, it would be better. 

 

Overall, I love both of them. So, both wins.

 

Additional movie:

 

Gravity: 9.45/10

 

The visuals are amazing. I saw it in 2D and it's still amazing. It's like playing a video game. Everything floating, crashing, good stuff. Space is vacuum, and they showed it too. The characters are mediocre. But, the still have emotion, it's just not enough. Otherwise, it would be better. But hey, don't get me wrong, it's awesome. 

post #15142 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post
 

American Hustle 7.5/10

 

I'm not sure what to think about this film. At the beginning I thought: why do I have to watch another Scorsese movie? Though I didn't get bored, I never felt connected to the story and characters. Dubbing into Russian probably killed some nuances in conversations.

 

So I didn't really enjoy the film and I have nothing to say about it except that I don't understand all the hype around Jennifer Lawrence - a bland overrated actress in my opinion. 

 

 

Unless it was a very careful dub I can imagine that a lot of the film's appeal (or where I see the film's appeal to be, at least) was likely lost. I personally always feel apprehensive about watching dialogue-heavy films that have been subbed (I never watch dubbed live-action films, as I feel it does a grave disservice to the acting) into English, and can't honestly imagine how watching a film by someone like Russell or Scorsese or Tarantino would translate to other languages. There's an excellent book by Hofstadter, 'Le Ton beau de Marot,' which explores the difficulty of translating--not only of language, but also expressions, cultural quirks, and frames of reference. He long considered some of his previous books to be un-translatable (and I'd have to agree with him), but became intensely interested and involved with the translation process when it inevitably happened-- Le Ton... is sort of a culmination of what he learned about the process. 

post #15143 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015071 View Post
 

Do you guys watch movies online? If so, specify your website.

 

IMO most all video streaming (legal) sites are garbage and have nothing good. Then there is this "exclusives" non-sense where I can't see a specific foreign film for months.

I bought a Netflix and Hulu Plus account and Netflix I canceled within 2 days. Horrible because there is not enough older movies. You'll be lucky to find any old classic movies or anything too recent.

Sure it's only $7.99, but i'd rather pay $30 and get a huge selection.

 

Hulu Plus is worth it just for watching an entire 6 seasons of a TV show I like. Lots of Japanese Criterion movies too.

 

For me, Amazon instant is the best. I let my prime membership run out and I still rent sometimes at the full price. They actually have stuff made before 2013 too!

 

BTW my favorite place was an old legal site called "Webjade". They had hundreds of imported VCDs and DVDs of Asian films. All legal versions and you paid a monthly fee for them to send you the discs in the mail.

 

They had other similar sites but I forget the names of them... I believe they went out of business. They even had Region 2 discs and D-VHS (who the heck watches that?)

post #15144 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

IMO most all video streaming (legal) sites are garbage and have nothing good. Then there is this "exclusives" non-sense where I can't see a specific foreign film for months.
I bought a Netflix and Hulu Plus account and Netflix I canceled within 2 days. Horrible because there is not enough older movies. You'll be lucky to find any old classic movies or anything too recent.
Sure it's only $7.99, but i'd rather pay $30 and get a huge selection.

Hulu Plus is worth it just for watching an entire 6 seasons of a TV show I like. Lots of Japanese Criterion movies too.

For me, Amazon instant is the best. I let my prime membership run out and I still rent sometimes at the full price. They actually have stuff made before 2013 too!

BTW my favorite place was an old legal site called "Webjade". They had hundreds of imported VCDs and DVDs of Asian films. All legal versions and you paid a monthly fee for them to send you the discs in the mail.

They had other similar sites but I forget the names of them... I believe they went out of business. They even had Region 2 discs and D-VHS (who the heck watches that?)

Weird,I find there to be a lot of classic movies..
post #15145 of 16287

Riddick made his cinema debut in "Pitch Black," one hell of a great movie.  Frankly the rest of the Riddick movies felt shallow in comparison.

 

"The Longest Day" had some great moments and some of the biggest stars of that time.  A nice example of more equaling less, repeated ad-nauseam by any other disaster film of that or any other era.

post #15146 of 16287
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

Riddick made his cinema debut in "Pitch Black," one hell of a great movie.  Frankly the rest of the Riddick movies felt shallow in comparison.

 

"The Longest Day" had some great moments and some of the biggest stars of that time.  A nice example of more equaling less, repeated ad-nauseam by any other disaster film of that or any other era.

I will have to watch it again. It seems like maybe it was 2000 or something so that makes it 14 years ago. Amazingly when the Chronicles Of Riddick came out in 04 they renamed it The Chronicles Of Riddick, Pitch Black to try it tie it in with the new movie series. This adds to the confusion but makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.

 

I have vague memories of the movie. I just thought the effects were cheesy even for 2000. Van Diesel was an unknown to me at the time. One year later though Fast And Furious made him a star!

 

 Funny I just still have memories of his special vision effect/night vision looking like it was shot on home video?:rolleyes: 

post #15147 of 16287
Pitch black is what made vin a star. He was overshadowed in fast and furious. I can't see anyone else as riddick.
post #15148 of 16287

 

The Secret Of Kells 9/10

 

Almost cried at the end, a very simple but wonderful movie 

post #15149 of 16287

The Third Man (1949) - 7,5

 

Carol Reed directed what is considered one of the finest archetypes of film noir.
I have to say, although I can't disagree, that I found the musical score to be one of the most anticlimatic pieces ever performed on a movie.

It is one of the most notable aspects of the movie but it just didn't work with me, very awkward and detracted too much from the experience.
For some reason I couldn't really connect with this movie, I don't think the score is the only thing to blame, but I still can't quite articulate exactly why or what it is... seems like there's some lack of cinematic nuance or stylistic identity, I dunno, it felt flat overall... also something very artificial about the way things develop on the screen, the acting (although generally very good) at moments seemed opaque, very theatrical not subtle, I know this was normal back then, but in Hitchcock movies it never felt so unnatural as in this movie...
A pity because this is an intelligent and complex work with great dialogue and humour, interesting camera work and cinematography (even if I was expecting a bit more quality here, but maybe the bluray rip I downloaded injured the true aspect of the picture...).
I liked specially those moments where Orson Welles showed up, his acting always seems great to me, I like him very much as an actor and director although I still have seen few of his directed movies.

Apparently ambiguous impressions of The Third Man... I wish I could be more clear but this film doesn't compel me to write much either...
The rating I give is not an expression of the imparted entertainment nor the affection I have for this work (low), but as an acknowledgement of it's cinematic and formal qualities.
I suspect it's my own fault I didn't enjoy it more...


Edited by kkl10 - 2/18/14 at 1:07pm
post #15150 of 16287

Nebraska - 8

 

Simple and competent in execution, dense thematic substance.

To me it was a contemplative and bittersweet experience which made me reflect about several things, mostly about the burden of senility and father-son/son-father relationship.

Stranger Than Paradise from Jim Jarmusch comes to my memory... the slow pace, the black and white cinematography and reminiscent camera work, the mix of comedy with drama in a plot where nothing spectacularly memorable happens no matter the absurdness of the situations the protagonists live through are some of the elements shared by both works, but they are still very different in premisse, substance and qualities. If not for occasional superfluous directing decisions to add comical moments which distracted more than anything else and a few lackluster acting performances, I'd rate Nebraska higher but I can not judge Jarmusch movie the same way, for example.

I enjoyed this Alexander Payne work very much, I wish it was just a bit more polished.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched