Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 1000

post #14986 of 20302

Yeah, Alien and Aliens are both masterpieces for sure, or close to it (one a masterpiece of horror and the other one of action). 3 is the one I've always wanted to like, but just never quite could. Hard to dislike the set-design and cinematography though--both are top-notch. Resurrection I can't stand--it has some really neat flourishes to it and seeing Weaver back in action was great, but I felt like it completely cheapened the Alien experience. Saw the first AvP, haven't bothered with any since--same problem with it that I had with Resurrection. I wanted to like Prometheus more than I did--it had some good ideas and was a fantastic looking film, but the plot was a mess and the characters ranged from the unbelievable to the stupid. Still, I think there's a lot of potential in the franchise--these days though, I find myself wishing they had just left it alone after the second film. 

post #14987 of 20302

I have seen just a few films with Philip Seymour Hoffman so I decided to give a try to Synecdoche, New York ( 2008). 

 

0/10

 

Quote:
 punishing two hours of furious artistic masturbation.

Edited by mutabor - 2/4/14 at 3:09pm
post #14988 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post
 

I have seen just a few films with Philip Seymour Hoffman so I decided to give a try to Synecdoche, New York ( 2008). 

 

0/10

 

I didn't care for that film either, actually. 

post #14989 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

I wanted to like Prometheus more than I did--it had some good ideas and was a fantastic looking film, but the plot was a mess and the characters ranged from the unbelievable to the stupid. I find myself wishing they had just left it alone after the second film. 

 

I agree with your Prometheus impressions here, I found it a major waste of technical talent, one of the dumbest plots I've ever seen. After seeing it I wondered if it was some sort of a joke...

I'd rate it a 3 just for the technical competence (some of the best special effects I've ever seen) and beauty.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post
 

I have seen just a few films with Philip Seymour Hoffman so I decided to give a try to Synecdoche, New York ( 2008). 

 

0/10

 

 

I'll have to see this movie one day or another, rare titles are more polarizing than this.

May Philip Seymor Hoffman rest in peace.


Edited by kkl10 - 2/4/14 at 4:19pm
post #14990 of 20302

The last move I saw was Terminator 2 (for about the 932nd time).  It was a masterpiece then, and it still is today.

 

I give it 9.5 cyborg-hands out of 10.

 

I'm going to come out and say it, I think all the Terminators were exceptional (except the 3rd, that was a train wreck).  Yes, I am including Salvation.  It was a film made by people that seemed to really care about the franchise (again, except the 3rd one).  There are so many details.  I think it was unjustly trashed.

 

That said, I am anxious as to what will happen in T5...  :confused:

post #14991 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpaulie View Post
 

The last move I saw was Terminator 2 (for about the 932nd time).  It was a masterpiece then, and it still is today.

 

I give it 9.5 cyborg-hands out of 10.

 

I'm going to come out and say it, I think all the Terminators were exceptional (except the 3rd, that was a train wreck).  Yes, I am including Salvation.  It was a film made by people that seemed to really care about the franchise (again, except the 3rd one).  There are so many details.  I think it was unjustly trashed.

 

That said, I am anxious as to what will happen in T5...  :confused:

 

 

I think Im in the minority, but I liked T3 quite a bit. What really sold me on it was the ending...I loved what they did there. Also, Kristana Lokken was quite the babe!

post #14992 of 20302
I could live with T3. Its the funny child in the family.

I know it's not a movie, but no love for T:SCC here?
post #14993 of 20302

Repulsion (1965) - 8,5

 

Carol Ledoux (played by Catherine Deneuve) is a beautiful young woman living in a rented apartment in London with her sister Helen, she works as manicure in a beauty salon.
Carol sometimes displays very bizarre behavior, she ocasionally disconnects from reality around her and has a very shy and laconic way of socializing with others, especially men for whom she seems to nurture physical repulsiveness or sexual repression.
These are some of the faint symptoms of her mental disorder that will get worse once Helen goes with her boyfriend for a trip to Italy leaving Carol alone in London for a few days.
During this period Carol's mental state will progressively deteriorate until the point when she completely looses her lucidity.

The schizophrenic nature of her mental disorder, hallucinations, madness and, possibly, repressed traumas will take over her mind and perception of the world culminating in some tragic and horrendous events in her own apartment.
The movie depicts her mental breakdown from her own perspective putting the viewer in the same distorted reality Carol perceives and lives in.
Psychological Horror/Thriller film from Roman Polanski, potentially unsettling and scary for those who see it for the first time, competent at a technical level, beautiful cinematography, very good acting and directing.
This movie explores the psychological background of murder, just like Hitchcock's Psycho, but Repulsion is much more direct and intense, it takes the perspective of the wicked itself and the traditional roles of oppressor and victim have an interesting twist here.
It managed to lightly scare me 1 or 2 times first time I saw it but what I really apprecciate in this movie is the claustrophobic and schizophrenic experience created by the cinematic style.
Singular cinematic experience, great film!


Edited by kkl10 - 2/4/14 at 4:30pm
post #14994 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

I could live with T3. Its the funny child in the family.

I know it's not a movie, but no love for T:SCC here?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

 

I think Im in the minority, but I liked T3 quite a bit. What really sold me on it was the ending...I loved what they did there. Also, Kristana Lokken was quite the babe!

My take on Terminator T2>T1>T3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>T4

 

I actually liked T3 a lot.  It stuck with the original theme and style of the 1st two movies and yet on another level was poking fun at the series.  T2 is a masterpiece perhaps Cameron's best film.  T1 is not far behind, T4 is unspeakably bad.

 

While I'm at it the Alien series A2>A1>Prometheus>A3>>>A4

 

Having just watched A2 again I'm struck with the dated graphics which T2 managed to do so well.  

post #14995 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpaulie View Post
 

The last move I saw was Terminator 2 (for about the 932nd time).  It was a masterpiece then, and it still is today.

 

I give it 9.5 cyborg-hands out of 10.

 

I'm going to come out and say it, I think all the Terminators were exceptional (except the 3rd, that was a train wreck).  Yes, I am including Salvation.  It was a film made by people that seemed to really care about the franchise (again, except the 3rd one).  There are so many details.  I think it was unjustly trashed.

 

That said, I am anxious as to what will happen in T5...  :confused:


Wow, fans of Salvation are a VERY small minority. Sure it had its flaws, but there was some interesting stuff there that expanded the terminator universe, and a lot of nods to T1 and T2 if you pay attention. I liked it so, so much more than T3, which Ahnold couldn't even save. T3 just plain sucked more than words could ever express.

 

Of course, T2 is the greatest there will ever be. 

post #14996 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

 

My take on Terminator T2>T1>T3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>T4

 

I actually liked T3 a lot.  It stuck with the original theme and style of the 1st two movies and yet on another level was poking fun at the series.  T2 is a masterpiece perhaps Cameron's best film.  T1 is not far behind, T4 is unspeakably bad.

 

 

 

I watched T1 for the first time in many years a few weeks ago...it still does a great job of engaging me, and the scenes at the end where it's just the exoskeleton chasing Sarah Connor...still got the ol' blood pressure up! 

 

Sounds like there is near-universal agreement about T2...I still remember standing in line for that one when it came out, and then being blown away by how good it was. 

post #14997 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxanex View Post
 


Wow, fans of Salvation are a VERY small minority. Sure it had its flaws, but there was some interesting stuff there that expanded the terminator universe, and a lot of nods to T1 and T2 if you pay attention. I liked it so, so much more than T3, which Ahnold couldn't even save. T3 just plain sucked more than words could ever express.

 

Of course, T2 is the greatest there will ever be. 

 

We need to stick together!  :)

 

Yes, there are a bunch of things that relate back to the first two.  I think it fit in very nicely as a prequel.  I gave us little things like where Kyle learn't to tie a gun to his arm,"Come with me if you want to live", Connors scar in the future in T2, and the list goes on.  I can't think of another prequel that paid so much attention to the films that it was leading up to. I'm not sure what so many people disliked about it.  I've heard many people call it the worse of the franchise - Those that hated it, what was so bad?  Even as just a movie, it was interesting, had a good pace, the filming wasn't done in that shakey free-hand style that became oh-so popular.  I think the effects will stand the test of time.  I even think the casting was done pretty well.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect, but I was satisfied with it.

 

T3 on the other hand...  My beef with it is that is really takes the first two and says those were for nothing.  It spits in the face of fans.  T2 has a strong theme of (one of many) being able to make you own path (there is not fate but what we make).  The T-800 (in the directors cut) is given that opportunity when John resents his switch to 'learning'.  He gives the machine a future (or, at least tries).  John and Sarah change the future but destroying Cyberdine.  Even Miles sacrifices everything he worked so hard for to break free of that future.  The whole movie is a struggle to change your fate, be it a mindless robot, the leader of the future resistance, being locked up in an institution, or building a pilot that never shows up hung-over.  T3 says, 'Just kidding, it's gonna happen, no matter what you do {so we can sell more movies that make a lot of money}'.  It left me thinking, 'why did we fight so hard?  What was it all for?'

 

Finally, let's talk about the new Terminator.  The girl.  Whatever model it was (T-X, gimme a break.  Put less effort into that.)  She doesn't fit.  The T-800 is a tank.  Cameron, for the second film, felt that the new Terminator has to be something faster, meaner and leaner: a sports car.  Excellent.  But the girl?  What's that supposed to be?  A Vespa?  

 

As for SCC, I liked it.  I think like most shows that came from a movie, you have to treat it as a separate universe.  In that light, it was more Terminatory goodness. :bigsmile_face:  

post #14998 of 20302

I actually missed listing one of the Terminator movies (actually a mini-sequel) that I saw at Universal Studios 1st in LA and the 2nd time in Orlando.

 

At 12 minutes "T2 3-D: Battle Across Time" was per minute the most expensive film of all time.  Clocked in at $24 million.

 

Cameron filmed it starring all the original actors including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong and Robert Patrick.

 

The pre show prior to the movie was a bit of a joke but the movie/ride was dead serious, one of the first really mind blowing 3D films I had ever seen.  The film mixed live explosions, moving seats, and smoke. 

 

12 minutes of non stop action I would rate the experience between T1 and T3.

post #14999 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post
 

 

I agree with your Prometheus impressions here, I found it a major waste of technical talent, one of the dumbest plots I've ever seen. After seeing it I wondered if it was some sort of a joke...

I'd rate it a 3 just for the technical competence (some of the best special effects I've ever seen) and beauty.

 

.

Ughh, Prometheus is so more complex than what it seems if you only watch it once. It takes the whole Aliens universe to an more adept level. They tell so much more of the story through the details of the environment that are so easy to miss the first time. 

 

I liked it the first time I saw it. However when I saw some youtube videos and commentaries on it, and then watched the movie a second is when I realized how amazing the movie really is. It does what suspense movies should do (not calling it a suspense movie) by showing clues through the environment and other small details. Except the clues in the environment and small details show a much more complex side of aliens universe. I am so sick of suspense movies giving obvious foreshadowing items that give away the rest of the movie as it is most likely the only way that obvious foreshadowing fits into the plot. If you watch some videos on Prometheus you will realize how well the plot is actually filled out. Its not an obvious standard plot by any means, but thankfully its not a movie that treats you like a dumb idiot. 


Edited by gamefreak054 - 2/4/14 at 8:51pm
post #15000 of 20302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
 

Ughh, Prometheus is so more complex than what it seems if you only watch it once. It takes the whole Aliens universe to an more adept level. They tell so much more of the story through the details of the environment that are so easy to miss the first time. 

 

I liked it the first time I saw it. However when I saw some youtube videos and commentaries on it, and then watched the movie a second is when I realized how amazing the movie really is. It does what suspense movies should do (not calling it a suspense movie) by showing clues through the environment and other small details. Except the clues in the environment and small details show a much more complex side of aliens universe. I am so sick of suspense movies giving obvious foreshadowing items that give away the rest of the movie as it is most likely the only way that obvious foreshadowing fits into the plot. If you watch some videos on Prometheus you will realize how well the plot is actually filled out. Its not an obvious standard plot by any means, but thankfully its not a movie that treats you like a dumb idiot. 

Eh... there are just as many youtube videos pointing out all of its flaws and inconsistencies though. I personally find the latter videos to be the more convincing. Complexity doesn't always mean that it adds up to something special, though certainly it had its moments. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched