Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 934

post #13996 of 16191

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 version) - 6.5/10

 

Not sure what to think of this. Best thing about the movie was the characters. If it wasn't for them i'd probably forgetting this one very quickly.

It seems like it went downhill every time it tried to bombard me with it's messages.

 

There some stuff in here that no other war movies have really made me think about.

 

The school scene with the teacher trying to convince his students to go off to war was amusing, but almost insulting in a way.

It almost felt like they were trying to say that people who volunteer to go off to war for their country are brainwashed idiots.

I think if I was around during WWII I would have signed up. Of course I would have never known how terrible it would be of course..

 

There's a lot of memorable scenes in this one and I bet years from now it will get better with more viewings.

 

Strangely the actual battle scenes are not very good. Just lots of stuff blowing up.

 

I had a hard time getting through this since it's kind of slow and dull at times.

post #13997 of 16191

2001: a space Odyssey.

 

This is my fourth attempt on this movie. I read the book before even the first time I saw it and loved it. 

 

As for the movie great scenography and music. It´s like a giant music video for most part. Very impressive regarding when it was made and how they predicted Skype but no I just can´t really appreciate it fully.

This is perhaps the Kubrick movie I like the least despite being a space junkie... 

 

Strange but 9/10 anyway due to the technical brilliance just not fun or as usual anywhere close the book.

post #13998 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
 

2001: a space Odyssey.

 

This is my fourth attempt on this movie. I read the book before even the first time I saw it and loved it. 

 

As for the movie great scenography and music. It´s like a giant music video for most part. Very impressive regarding when it was made and how they predicted Skype but no I just can´t really appreciate it fully.

This is perhaps the Kubrick movie I like the least despite being a space junkie... 

 

Strange but 9/10 anyway due to the technical brilliance just not fun or as usual anywhere close the book.

 

Totally agree with all the above, Arther C Clark's book is much better than the movie.  Clark's 2010 helps to flesh out the story further.  The movie is eye candy but hard to follow. I still prefer this over Eyes Wide Shut.

post #13999 of 16191

 we posted my column about my favorite movie (so far) of 2013

I was unaware of this documentary till I read Bill Simmons review of this movie.  He claimed it is the best movie of 2013 (so far).  Check out the link above. He is not a fan of the band but the documentary is a different tale, this is the band that Cameron Crowe profiled in "Almost Famous."  "Stillwater" is the name of the band in that film and Glen Frey is without a doubt the leader of that band. 

 

Glen Frey and Don Henley open up on film about sex, drugs, groupies, the in-fighting in the band, the music industry, and why they fired various members of the band (Randy Meisner was afraid he couldn't hit the high notes in "Take It To The Limit" so he refused to sing it),  Joe Walsh trashing hotel rooms ($28,000 worth of damage one night)  Expletives fly, including film footage from the 70's with Glen Frey and Don Felder going at it.  Naked girls jump on the stage, money flows, ego's are out of control, this 3 1/2 documentary has it all. It is the most brutally honest and fascinating Rock documentary I've ever seen. 

 

Even if you do not like The Eagles this documentary is worth catching.

My rating 9.5/10

post #14000 of 16191

Fast & Furious is to car culture what Beats is to headphones (but even worse). Best decision ever was when they changed the format from the 3rd one on to Action film with driving instead of inspiring posers and teenagers with rich daddys to put shopping cart wings on their Geo Metros.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post


 Still not better than Fast 6, that movie was seriously good. Probably because I'm a car maniac.

 
post #14001 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

 we posted my column about my favorite movie (so far) of 2013

I was unaware of this documentary till I read Bill Simmons review of this movie.  He claimed it is the best movie of 2013 (so far).  Check out the link above. He is not a fan of the band but the documentary is a different tale, this is the band that Cameron Crowe profiled in "Almost Famous."  "Stillwater" is the name of the band in that film and Glen Frey is without a doubt the leader of that band. 

 

Glen Frey and Don Henley open up on film about sex, drugs, groupies, the in-fighting in the band, the music industry, and why they fired various members of the band (Randy Meisner was afraid he couldn't hit the high notes in "Take It To The Limit" so he refused to sing it),  Joe Walsh trashing hotel rooms ($28,000 worth of damage one night)  Expletives fly, including film footage from the 70's with Glen Frey and Don Felder going at it.  Naked girls jump on the stage, money flows, ego's are out of control, this 3 1/2 documentary has it all. It is the most brutally honest and fascinating Rock documentary I've ever seen. 

 

Even if you do not like The Eagles this documentary is worth catching.

My rating 9.5/10

 

This looks amazing, thanks!  I recently watched the Journey film that was out last year...I really enjoyed it. I love music docs in general, but this one looks exceptional. 

 

Looks like this is available on Showtime On Demand...gonna watch it tonight. 

 

EDIT: I'm about an hour and fifteen mins in...this is really, really good. It's amazing all the talent that they came into contact with either directly or indirectly. 

 

I also had no idea that Colorado had such incredible BUSH! 


Edited by Focker - 9/9/13 at 12:39am
post #14002 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 version) - 6.5/10

 

 

The school scene with the teacher trying to convince his students to go off to war was amusing, but almost insulting in a way.

It almost felt like they were trying to say that people who volunteer to go off to war for their country are brainwashed idiots.

I think if I was around during WWII I would have signed up. Of course I would have never known how terrible it would be of course..

 

"All Quiet on the Western Front  is a novel by Erich Maria Remarque, a German veteran of World War I.

 Remarque's harshest critics, in turn, were his countrymen, many of whom felt the book denigrated the German war effort, and that Remarque had exaggerated the horrors of war in order to further his pacifist agenda. Not surprisingly, the strongest voices against Remarque came from the emerging National Socialist (Nazi) Party, an ultranationalist group in Germany led by the futureFührerAdolf Hitler. In 1933, when the Nazis rose to power, All Quiet on the Western Front became one of the first "degenerate" books to be publicly burnt.

 

In contrast, All Quiet on the Western Front was trumpeted by pacifists as an anti-war book. Remarque makes a point in the opening statement that the novel does not advocate any political position, but is merely an attempt to describe the experiences of the soldier."

post #14003 of 16191
The Best Offer (2013) 7.4/10

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Thomas Crown Affair cache + Castaway on the Moon eccentricity and phobias.
Dynamic ending and gut wrenching plot twist, if you can get past the middle.
Edited by 5aces - 9/9/13 at 1:21pm
post #14004 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

The Best Offer (2013) 7.4/10

Thomas Crown Affair cache + Castaway on the Moon eccentricity and phobias.
Dynamic ending and gut wrenching plot twist, if you can get past the middle.

 

That movie wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't feel really engaged. 


Edited by mutabor - 9/9/13 at 1:52pm
post #14005 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post

That movie wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't feel really engaged.

The first 2/3 was odd hovered at a 5.4/10, the final act and ending was the redemption of the film.
Clunky storyline at the outset and yes a better offering could have been produced, but there was a level of intrigue that made it entertaining.
Not a crowd pleaser for sure.
post #14006 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

Rome season 1 and 2. Awesome!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwtWsbjAunzh31O65hasVZV3uMw92PrV2At6sfH4kOyfdbKJZH

Plot, sound, settings, character, all 9!

Now I am not sure if Spartacus also as good.

 

 

+1

 

HBO rocks. Deadwood was also excellent, shame they did not wrap it up.

 

The Wire was the absolute best show ever IMO.

post #14007 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

This looks amazing, thanks!  I recently watched the Journey film that was out last year...I really enjoyed it. I love music docs in general, but this one looks exceptional. 

 

Looks like this is available on Showtime On Demand...gonna watch it tonight. 

 

EDIT: I'm about an hour and fifteen mins in...this is really, really good. It's amazing all the talent that they came into contact with either directly or indirectly. 

 

I also had no idea that Colorado had such incredible BUSH! 

 

LOL, I was blown away by the level of decadence, and they were all so willing to go into detail about it all.

 

The live film footage and interviews recorded in the 70's intermixed with the contemporary interviews felt real fresh and honest.  

The highlights for me:  Secrets of songwriting that Frey discovered from listening to Jackson Browne who lived below him. the Troubador footage including a very young Elton John, Joni Mitchell, Carol King, James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt. The band trying to perfect their first album cover (they drove out to Joshua Tree and dropped peyote and waited on something to happen). At times hilarious, heartbreaking, exhilarating and flat out jaw dropping. Don Henley and Glen Frey are competitive, obsessive and intense and so willing to let it all hang out.

There were a lot of axes to grind along the way.  The level of animosity toward the former band members and exec's and the anger and pain from the banished bandmates felt palpable, a truly remarkable documentary.  

This is on a level with "Gimme Shelter" and "Woodstock" it's that good.   

post #14008 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

 

LOL, I was blown away by the level of decadence, and they were all so willing to go into detail about it all.

 

The live film footage and interviews recorded in the 70's intermixed with the contemporary interviews felt real fresh and honest.  

The highlights for me:  Secrets of songwriting that Frey discovered from listening to Jackson Browne who lived below him. the Troubador footage including a very young Elton John, Joni Mitchell, Carol King, James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt. The band trying to perfect their first album cover (they drove out to Joshua Tree and dropped peyote and waited on something to happen). At times hilarious, heartbreaking, exhilarating and flat out jaw dropping. Don Henley and Glen Frey are competitive, obsessive and intense and so willing to let it all hang out.

There were a lot of axes to grind along the way.  The level of animosity toward the former band members and exec's and the anger and pain from the banished bandmates felt palpable, a truly remarkable documentary.  

This is on a level with "Gimme Shelter" and "Woodstock" it's that good.   

 

It's funny, cause one thing I really get annoyed with in the present day is how sterilized and PC everyone is. I think it's entirely appropriate when it comes to things like racism and bigotry, but it extends far beyond that a lot of the time. This archival footage of the band is candid as HELL, and I love that about it. It's a raw, unfiltered look at the origin of one of the greatest bands ever and it's incredibly engaging. I know there has been a recent trend to dedicate a lot of time and effort into cleaning up older prints/films and they have clearly done that with much of this footage. So I totally agree that it felt very fresh. 

 

The one band member that shocked me when I saw how he looks today is Randy Meisner. WOW, that guy looks a good ten or fifteen years older than Frye and Henley even though they're all around the same age. And I definitely agree about the part where Frye talked about listenign to Jackson Browne create his music...He describes it so well that I can almost put myself in his shoes and imagine what that must have been like. And heck yeah, the Troubadour scene back then was ridiculous!! 

 

I have the second half to watch tonight, so I can't wait...thanks again for mentioning this one...I'm sure I would have missed it otherwise! 

post #14009 of 16191
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Over My Head View Post
 

+1

 

HBO rocks. Deadwood was also excellent, shame they did not wrap it up.

 

The Wire was the absolute best show ever IMO.

 

I will check The Wire then.  Thanks for the recommendation.

post #14010 of 16191

A little OT, guys, do you like to watch movies with headphones?  what is your favorites headphone for movies? ignore any prices!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched