Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rate The Last Movie You Watched - Page 831

post #12451 of 16097
The Bourne Legacy, 7.5/10

Dredd, 8.5/10

I actually liked these movies about the same, I thought both of these flicks were very well done for what they are. But I docked TBL a point because in the Netflix blu-ray rental version, Universal chose to hold back on all the extras including the deleted scenes. To make matters even more insulting, they tease you with said features by letting you select them, then they tell you that you have to buy the retail version if you want to actually view them. I will now cross-check on Amazon to make sure my rentals are not from Universal as Netflix does not provide studio information. Lionsgate pulled no such greedy nonsense with Dredd, which was also a new release (came out on Netflix the same day).
post #12452 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Well if you are ever out my way, try the gold class cinema in Pasadena, CA. Right outside LA.
I'd gladly pay $30 with a popcorn for gold class cinema.
VIP theater here is $19.25 ($3.00 more if 3D) but the seats aren't as nice or spacious.
Do you know what the installed projector and sound system are ?
Is this an iPic theater?
Thanks for the tour Doc.
Edited by 5aces - 1/20/13 at 5:31pm
post #12453 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

I'd gladly pay $30 with a popcorn.
VIP theater here is $19.25 ($3.00 more if 3D) but the seats aren't as nice.Thanks for the tour Doc.

 

I'm actually in Georgia....north of Atlanta....looks like there isn't one around here :(  

 

 

BTW, what are these theaters referred to as, so I can look them up? Are they classified as "premium theaters" or something similar? 

 

 

Looks like this place isn't far from me....supposedly it's a large chain....anyone heard of this? MovieTavern?

https://movietavern.tstickets.com/(S(igipczxwt22c0qbziuhicxiz))/ticketing.aspx?theatreid=4022


Edited by Focker - 1/20/13 at 3:39pm
post #12454 of 16097

Here's a comic perfectly describing how cinemas should be laid out:

 

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout

post #12455 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post


I do feel for you folks that live outside a reasonable distance for quality cinema screens.

If you are over the age of 19 here in Ontario,you just can't beat the Cineplex Odeon VIP adults only theaters,to escape the youngsters.
While the screens and sound are average,the experience,extra leg room and quality seats are much improved over regular cinemas.
For the average person it's an every once in a while thing.
If you have the money and only want to hit up one spot to go out with a friend,this reserved venue wins every time.


A true celluloid based IMAX venue with a 15perf/70mm IMAX projector is a sight to behold.
Any shot-for-IMAX film, such as the last two Dark Knight films or Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, this is by far the best venue.
Other films that originated either on 35mm stock or digital, the blow-ups to IMAX format can occasionally have mixed results.
Given the impeccable sound system, and the truly astonishing screen size, it’s a venue that quite simply dwarfs other halls.
Reserved seating here.Six rows from the back works for me.
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

UltraAVX with a Christie 4K projector,the latest Dolby sound and reserved seats usually wins it for me.
Better seats than IMAX with a slightly smaller screen,the enhanced sound keeps me coming back.
JPEG Pro

If you find yourself in Toronto,try to get seat G14 in Cinema 1 at TIFF Bell Lightbox.
A modest sized screen with a luminous presentation and immaculate sound.
JPEG Pro

 

Those are some venues I'd like to go to!

 

Although the cinemas don't allow outside food/drinks, many a times I'v seen people bringing bags of chips, and they want to open them during the movie, making all kinds of distracting sounds. Open it outside!! There's not much freshness to be lost if you open in 5 minutes in advance! There's a reason the food sold at cinemas is not packed in plastic bags.

post #12456 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

BTW, what are these theaters referred to as, so I can look them up? Are they classified as "premium theaters" or something similar?

I took a quick look and UltraAVX shows up in Georgia.
Doc's Gold Class search shows up as iPic Theaters:
Florida – Boca Raton
Mizner Park
301 Plaza Real
Boca Raton, FL 33432
Phone: 561-299-3000

Surely you would have a VIP Cinema equivalent in the fine state of Georgia.

I select a theater based on the native cinematography of the feature and am spoiled for choice in my area.
Try UltraAVX (with Dolby Atmos) if you can or even better Gold Class,I really want to get in there,even if it is just an average screen and sound,I do like service and amenities!
Go forth Focker and discover the best IMAX,UltraAVX,VIP/Gold Class and Custom Cinemas for review...

Latest Dolby Atmos releases:

Mama (January 13, 2013)
The Last Tycoon (December 22, 2012)
The Guillotines (December 20, 2012)
Chinese Zodiac (December 20, 2012)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (December 14, 2012)
Edited by 5aces - 1/20/13 at 7:30pm
post #12457 of 16097

Django Unchained - 9.5/10

 

Pretty much my favorite Tarentino movie. Felt nothing like 3 hours. Just so, so good. Sam Jackson's character was fantastic and DiCaprio's acting was flawless. I was really surprised by that one. 

 

BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD.

post #12458 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

wow, very nice Doc! I need to see if I have one of these fancier theaters around here....they've got to be here, I'm just not aware of them. I'd gladly pay that premium to have a higher end experience...I get tired of all the distractions you encounter when going to see a movie these days....maybe I'm just old and grumpy since I hit 40, but I tend to go to movies on Sunday nights now and avoid the Fri/Sat night crowds. This might be a great option to eliminate some of the annoyances of that scene, though, and enjoy a nicer environment. 
Oh good.... I have 3 more years before I get grumpy... smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it is truly an awesome experience there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5aces View Post

I'd gladly pay $30 with a popcorn for gold class cinema.
VIP theater here is $19.25 ($3.00 more if 3D) but the seats aren't as nice or spacious.
Do you know what the installed projector and sound system are ?
Is this an iPic theater?
Thanks for the tour Doc.

Yessir it is indeed an iPic owned theater. The gold class cinema I believe is the local name in Pasadena. They have other locations in the US but not many.
Sorry I didn't get the specs on the equipment.

@Focker, sorry to hear there isn't one near you, but surely you will have an excuse to come to LA one of these days.... it is right in "old town" Pasadena.
post #12459 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

wow, very nice Doc! I need to see if I have one of these fancier theaters around here....they've got to be here, I'm just not aware of them. I'd gladly pay that premium to have a higher end experience...I get tired of all the distractions you encounter when going to see a movie these days....maybe I'm just old and grumpy since I hit 40, but I tend to go to movies on Sunday nights now and avoid the Fri/Sat night crowds. This might be a great option to eliminate some of the annoyances of that scene, though, and enjoy a nicer environment. 

I try to find a weekday daytime showing, preferably around lunchtime.....the ticket is a couple dollars cheaper and the theater is usually almost empty.  Of course, many people with normal work schedules won't be able to do that.smile_phones.gif

post #12460 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Django Unchained - 9.5/10

 

Pretty much my favorite Tarentino movie. Felt nothing like 3 hours. Just so, so good. Sam Jackson's character was fantastic and DiCaprio's acting was flawless. I was really surprised by that one. 

 

BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD.


I agree, 3 hours went by quick because the story was just so good, and the characters were so interesting. Still, Pulp Fiction remains my most favorite Tarantino flick. But after seeing Django a second time, I'd say it's a damn close second.

 

Samuel L. Jackson's character totally reminded me of Uncle Ruckus from the Boondocks cartoon lol. I'm willing to bet Tarantino has probably seen at least a couple of episodes of Boondocks...

 

My favorite exchange between Django and Jackson-

"I count six shots, n----"

"I count two guns, n----"

post #12461 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I try to find a weekday daytime showing, preferably around lunchtime.....the ticket is a couple dollars cheaper and the theater is usually almost empty.  Of course, many people with normal work schedules won't be able to do that.smile_phones.gif

 

I'm with you there...I usually have at least one weekday off and I've enjoyed my matinees from time to time. One of the best experiences I ever had was when I saw Borat. I had seen some of the Ali-G stuff that Sacha had done, but I just was NOT prepared for Borat. There were about 15-20 people in the theater and it was like 2pm in the afternoon. I was having a hard time not laughing out loud even just in the first ten mins of the film, but soon enough we all just sort of said, "fuggit", and laughed our butts off. It was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had at the theater and by the time it was over I felt as if my entire face was numb and my stomach was sore lol.  I'm definitely a fan of an afternoon showing from time to time. 

post #12462 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Oh good.... I have 3 more years before I get grumpy... smily_headphones1.gif



@Focker, sorry to hear there isn't one near you, but surely you will have an excuse to come to LA one of these days.... it is right in "old town" Pasadena.

Enjoy them, brother....once you hit 40, things REALLY change IMO. It just doesn't feel the same anymore...I never felt out of touch with the younger generation until this past year. It's very surreal! 

post #12463 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Enjoy them, brother....once you hit 40, things REALLY change IMO. It just doesn't feel the same anymore...I never felt out of touch with the younger generation until this past year. It's very surreal! 

Yeah, suddenly you realize how many stupid kids there are out there, and wondering,"was I ever like that?" biggrin.gif

post #12464 of 16097

I totally noticed the Uncle Ruckus (no relation) relation. It was fantastic. 

 

As for that line, also one of my favorites.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxanex View Post


I agree, 3 hours went by quick because the story was just so good, and the characters were so interesting. Still, Pulp Fiction remains my most favorite Tarantino flick. But after seeing Django a second time, I'd say it's a damn close second.

 

Samuel L. Jackson's character totally reminded me of Uncle Ruckus from the Boondocks cartoon lol. I'm willing to bet Tarantino has probably seen at least a couple of episodes of Boondocks...

 

My favorite exchange between Django and Jackson-

"I count six shots, n----"

"I count two guns, n----"

post #12465 of 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

Enjoy them, brother....once you hit 40, things REALLY change IMO. It just doesn't feel the same anymore...I never felt out of touch with the younger generation until this past year. It's very surreal! 


I'm in real trouble, then. I'm not even in my mid-30's yet and I already feel completely out of touch with guys that are 5+ years younger than me. I look at these guys walking around in tight jeans and their ridiculous hair half covering their face and I just shake my head and think, man...that's really what's "cool" now??

 

My wife is always listening to pop music in the car, and I'm always turning it down or even off while muttering how it's all "garbage"


Edited by dxanex - 1/20/13 at 8:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rate The Last Movie You Watched