Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review of Little-Dot MKIVse
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Little-Dot MKIVse - Page 6

post #76 of 836
There are DIP switches underneath the unit which you can set the gain factor appropriate.
post #77 of 836
Thread Starter 

Latest word on default tubes and when "se" goes away for good

I just received this from DavidZ at little-dot:

"The WE408A is a 20V filament tube so the front driver tube voltage is modified to 6.3V for the M8100. The rear 6H30PI has a different pin-out and characteristics from the E182CC. At this point we are completely out of the E182CC vacuum tubes, and we have a few months supply of the 6H30PI left. Therefore all MK IV SE from this point on will be M8100 and 6H30PI version until we run out of 6H30PI tubes, at which point the MK IV SE will be discontinued. I hope this helps!"

So, the last of the "se" will be hardwired to work with M8100 and 6H30PI and when they run out of tubes, the "se" goes away for good!!

Grab them while their hot, before their not!
post #78 of 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
I just received this from DavidZ at little-dot:

"The WE408A is a 20V filament tube so the front driver tube voltage is modified to 6.3V for the M8100. The rear 6H30PI has a different pin-out and characteristics from the E182CC. At this point we are completely out of the E182CC vacuum tubes, and we have a few months supply of the 6H30PI left. Therefore all MK IV SE from this point on will be M8100 and 6H30PI version until we run out of 6H30PI tubes, at which point the MK IV SE will be discontinued. I hope this helps!"

So, the last of the "se" will be hardwired to work with M8100 and 6H30PI and when they run out of tubes, the "se" goes away for good!!

Grab them while their hot, before their not!


Dave,

Wow, I am really confused now. I'm thinking about purchasing the MKIVSE but
I don’t now what is added value to the exclusivity of SE version ? The difference with ordinary version IV is according few owners not so exclusive anymore. The second point is that the possibility for tube rolling by MK4 better is than by SE version. What is your opinion regarding all this.

As you can see Little Dot made noticeable tube and hard wire changes. Now lot of us are very confused and uncertain over the sound quality of the amp. The question is , is the quality still same as mentioned by previous review’s mainly based on others, stronger tube’s ?
Also tube’s rolling possibility’s for both amps and version’s remain unclear. Maybe something for David Z to explain this confused situation. We are also interesting in the Little Dot plans regarding the future of the IV SE amp.

Dave. You give us really fantastic feedback. We really appreciate it. Thank you for your time and this outstanding job. Many warm greetings.


Marek
post #79 of 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
I just received this from DavidZ at little-dot:

"The WE408A is a 20V filament tube so the front driver tube voltage is modified to 6.3V for the M8100. The rear 6H30PI has a different pin-out and characteristics from the E182CC. At this point we are completely out of the E182CC vacuum tubes, and we have a few months supply of the 6H30PI left. Therefore all MK IV SE from this point on will be M8100 and 6H30PI version until we run out of 6H30PI tubes, at which point the MK IV SE will be discontinued. I hope this helps!"

So, the last of the "se" will be hardwired to work with M8100 and 6H30PI and when they run out of tubes, the "se" goes away for good!!

Grab them while their hot, before their not!
So is that why they only had 500 of these amps?
post #80 of 836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoen View Post
So is that why they only had 500 of these amps?
I really don't know for sure. I know it was a "limited edition" from the beginning, but I have no idea where the "cut off" point was.
post #81 of 836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan70 View Post
Dave,

Wow, I am really confused now. I'm thinking about purchasing the MKIVSE but
I don’t now what is added value to the exclusivity of SE version ? The difference with ordinary version IV is according few owners not so exclusive anymore. The second point is that the possibility for tube rolling by MK4 better is than by SE version. What is your opinion regarding all this.

As you can see Little Dot made noticeable tube and hard wire changes. Now lot of us are very confused and uncertain over the sound quality of the amp. The question is , is the quality still same as mentioned by previous review’s mainly based on others, stronger tube’s ?
Also tube’s rolling possibility’s for both amps and version’s remain unclear. Maybe something for David Z to explain this confused situation. We are also interesting in the Little Dot plans regarding the future of the IV SE amp.

Dave. You give us really fantastic feedback. We really appreciate it. Thank you for your time and this outstanding job. Many warm greetings.


Marek
Here is my response from the other thread:

I see your point for sure. It may make more sense to purchase the MKIV standard and spend the extra saved on better tubes. At this point, the true differences are "different motherboard & components", "better RCA jacks", "Two year warranty". If you plan to tube roll a bunch, the standard is what you should get. If tube rolling is not in your plan, then the "se" may still be worth the extra. Hope this helps some!!
post #82 of 836
I take it your review is based on the later versions of the MKIVSE, right? I ordered mines on the 8th of this month, and the echeck still needs to be cleared before Little Dot sends it out. I'm hoping I get the same version you have. I'm also hoping David will clear all this confusion up soon.
post #83 of 836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoen View Post
I take it your review is based on the later versions of the MKIVSE, right? I ordered mines on the 8th of this month, and the echeck still needs to be cleared before Little Dot sends it out. I'm hoping I get the same version you have. I'm also hoping David will clear all this confusion up soon.
Yes, mine was based on the E182CC & 408A tube version.

Please email him and ask specifically about your unit. He is the only one that can tell you if you have the E182CC & 408A tube version or not. The timeframe on these changes make it impossible to tell from here.
post #84 of 836
Well, I just received a message from David after asking him what version amp I have. Looks like I'm getting the M8100 and the 6H30PI tube version. Hopefully the sound would still be impressive!
post #85 of 836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoen View Post
Well, I just received a message from David after asking him what version amp I have. Looks like I'm getting the M8100 and the 6H30PI tube version. Hopefully the sound would still be impressive!
I don't think there is any doubt about that!! I know they wouldn't use them if they didn't meet the standard.
post #86 of 836
if i may suggest, IMO it's better to get MKIV that has more tube-rolling posibilities, u can buy M8100 for driver and 6H30Pi for power at ebay,
still if you want the RCA & Motherboeard upgrades, i think SE is better choice
post #87 of 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
Here is my response from the other thread:

I see your point for sure. It may make more sense to purchase the MKIV standard and spend the extra saved on better tubes. At this point, the true differences are "different motherboard & components", "better RCA jacks", "Two year warranty". If you plan to tube roll a bunch, the standard is what you should get. If tube rolling is not in your plan, then the "se" may still be worth the extra. Hope this helps some!!
Dave,

I understand now why you and other owners are so positive regarding David’s outstanding service minded attitude. Within few minutes I received his e-mail with answers regarding my previous post over Little Dot hardware and tube changes.
This is his response ;

Actually the Little Dot MK IV SE originally was designed around the WE403A (M8100 equivalents) and 6H30PI, and the earliest models included these tubes. If you read the early reviews like from Headphonesrock, you'll see the M8100 and 6H30PI listed as the stock vacuum tubes. The move to WE408A and E182CC tubes was because at one point, it looked like our supply of 6H30PI tubes had been completely cut-off so we needed to move to another set of premium vacuum tubes with a similar sound characteristic and performance. Given that we initially shipped the M8100/6H30PI version, then the WE408A/E182CC, and recently (actually for more than a month now) back to the M8100/6H30PI set, there actually are more M8100/6H30PI version out in the wild than the WE408A/E182CC. The return to the M8100 and 6H30PI tubes simply brings the MK IV SE back in line with the original design and the rest of the MK-series.

In our tests the differences in sound quality and power output are minimal as this was a priority requirement in finding a new tube complement. All the original specs listed are for the M8100/6H30PI tubes. With the M8100/6H30PI version, the tube-rolling abilities are back as well.

I hope I've answered your questions clearly, if you have any others, please let me know!

Best Regards,
David


His answer is very clear and no space for any confusing or uncertainty anymore. I will order the amp next week and this will be my first confrontation with tube sound. You all know how important the first experience is. This was probably the reason for my unnecessary uncertainty. I hope that you will understand me.
The statement remains unchanged. Little Dot’s are outstanding, high quality amps. The company deliver high service standard. .

Thank you David !!! Also many thanks to Dave ,our Little Tube guru on this site. Because of his outstanding posts, feedbacks, reviews etc the amp selection was much easier.
Thank you everyone and till next time. Best greetings to all of you :-)

Marek
post #88 of 836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan70 View Post
Dave,

I understand now why you and other owners are so positive regarding David’s outstanding service minded attitude. Within few minutes I received his e-mail with answers regarding my previous post over Little Dot hardware and tube changes.
This is his response ;

Actually the Little Dot MK IV SE originally was designed around the WE403A (M8100 equivalents) and 6H30PI, and the earliest models included these tubes. If you read the early reviews like from Headphonesrock, you'll see the M8100 and 6H30PI listed as the stock vacuum tubes. The move to WE408A and E182CC tubes was because at one point, it looked like our supply of 6H30PI tubes had been completely cut-off so we needed to move to another set of premium vacuum tubes with a similar sound characteristic and performance. Given that we initially shipped the M8100/6H30PI version, then the WE408A/E182CC, and recently (actually for more than a month now) back to the M8100/6H30PI set, there actually are more M8100/6H30PI version out in the wild than the WE408A/E182CC. The return to the M8100 and 6H30PI tubes simply brings the MK IV SE back in line with the original design and the rest of the MK-series.

In our tests the differences in sound quality and power output are minimal as this was a priority requirement in finding a new tube complement. All the original specs listed are for the M8100/6H30PI tubes. With the M8100/6H30PI version, the tube-rolling abilities are back as well.

I hope I've answered your questions clearly, if you have any others, please let me know!

Best Regards,
David


His answer is very clear and no space for any confusing or uncertainty anymore. I will order the amp next week and this will be my first confrontation with tube sound. You all know how important the first experience is. This was probably the reason for my unnecessary uncertainty. I hope that you will understand me.
The statement remains unchanged. Little Dot’s are outstanding, high quality amps. The company deliver high service standard. .

Thank you David !!! Also many thanks to Dave ,our Little Tube guru on this site. Because of his outstanding posts, feedbacks, reviews etc the amp selection was much easier.
Thank you everyone and till next time. Best greetings to all of you :-)

Marek
They are the best!!!
post #89 of 836
Wow! I guess that settles everything! Now on to the hardest part of ALL this good stuff...waiting.
post #90 of 836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoen View Post
Wow! I guess that settles everything! Now on to the hardest part of ALL this good stuff...waiting.
The shipping (EMS Air) is extremely fast. Much better than HK post shipments! 5-7 business days is normal to US, others are fast too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review of Little-Dot MKIVse