Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Darkvoice 336i
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darkvoice 336i - Page 4

post #46 of 92
Chris,

Not sure what you mean by "clean enough", however there's quite a few 336i users who use these tube dampers from Herbies. If they improve the sound or not, that's up to the person listening, but I've heard good things from the actual owners who use them.. so I'll give them a try some time too..


Also, these have to be placed correctly as well. You just can't put them anywhere you want on the tube. On Steve's website it talks about placement..



I figured all I have to loose is $3 to ship them back to Steve.






-Nick
post #47 of 92
Dunno, was just thinking it might be worth trying as a cheap tweak and hope for the best. Here's another statement about a particular brand:

"If you have a good-sounding tube preamp or amp and don't perceive any microphonic "issues," you would probably be surprised after placing UltraSonic damping instruments on your tubes. With a sudden increase in musical clarity, you would realize you had been listening to some amount of "grunge" and distortion all along. You'll find there is much more "music" in the music."

I'm curious if our resident tube guru has tried them and/or has any opinions...
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6Pak View Post
Dunno, was just thinking it might be worth trying as a cheap tweak and hope for the best. Here's another statement about a particular brand:

"If you have a good-sounding tube preamp or amp and don't perceive any microphonic "issues," you would probably be surprised after placing UltraSonic damping instruments on your tubes. With a sudden increase in musical clarity, you would realize you had been listening to some amount of "grunge" and distortion all along. You'll find there is much more "music" in the music."

I'm curious if our resident tube guru has tried them and/or has any opinions...

This is one of those tweaks, regardless of what you read, you need to try out first hand.

It seems you are finding positive results researching, as did I. Only your ears can determine if these work or not, regardless of what anyone says. It seems like these are overall, a positive "tweak", but really need to be tried first hand.


If you decide to order these, and feel they don't improve anything, just send them back to Steve, and get your money back.
post #49 of 92
Hey Nick-

Steve also sells something called 'The Black Hole' CD Mat. Do you have any experience with that product? If it actually works (which, according to the reviews, it does for some people), I would be very interested in trying a few...
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6Pak View Post
Hey Nick-

Steve also sells something called 'The Black Hole' CD Mat. Do you have any experience with that product? If it actually works (which, according to the reviews, it does for some people), I would be very interested in trying a few...

Yep. I have that, and some extra-thick grungebuster dots.


I have one, and I asked Steve if I could do two mats per CD and he said he has some customers who use two, and some who use one. It all depends on your CDP.

I also have added weight ontop of my CD drive because it vibrates pretty bad. I can say adding the CD mat and weight, the sound has improved a little bit. I could tell a small difference when using the weight/CD mat, and when not using it.



I can't say it totally works as to what some people have experienced, but for $5, I'll add about 5 more of these CD mats. They work some-what for me.. not sure if this is going to help, as they haven't "dramatically" improved my system, like some people mention, but I will say it does work.
post #51 of 92
Thread Starter 
I've heard that the dampers do knock out some of the glare on highs. Heck, once I my new tubes arrive and I've listened to them awhile, I may give them a try myself.

I just need to measure the tubes so that I get the right "fit".
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaChris View Post
I just need to measure the tubes so that I get the right "fit".


What do you mean by this Chris?
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20 View Post
What do you mean by this Chris?
He needs to know the diameter of his tubes so that he can get the proper size dampening rings.
post #54 of 92
If you go to the place Nick recommended, they tell you what size damper you need for which tube you have:

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/index.htm
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6Pak View Post
If you go to the place Nick recommended, they tell you what size damper you need for which tube you have:

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/index.htm


Right, that's what I was asking.. if he needed the measurements for the tube or what exactly he was asking for. I wasn't sure.. so I asked..


If you also hit Ctrl + F and type in "6AS7" and "6SN7" it will show you all the tube dampers that fit.



For anyone that missed it, these are the only dampers that will fit.


"You need these two:

Ultrasonic 40 or 45 for rear 6AS7 tube

AND

Ultrasonic 25 or Halo 25 for front 6SN7 tube"
post #56 of 92
You can also get a loctal adapter and try loctal 7N7 tubes instead of the these expensive 6SN7s...
post #57 of 92
Thread Starter 
From what I found on Herbies, UltraSonic 25 & 45 will foot the bill.

Chris
post #58 of 92
These are cheaper and, IME, work just as well as Herbies or Duende rings. Available for 6AS7 tubes, too. You can probably get them even cheaper from an industrial outlet, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VACUUM-TUBES-AMP...QQcmdZViewItem.

Scroll about 4/5 of the way down this link for a good close-up of the rings and their application. : )

I no longer own the 336i (I kept the Bada PH-12 as my stand-alone head amp), but I still house appreciative memories of it. The Darkvoice 337 is the only other amp I'd consider at this point, although I don't think it would better the Bada in most respects. : )
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
These are cheaper and, IME, work just as well as Herbies or Duende rings. Available for 6AS7 tubes, too. You can probably get them even cheaper from an industrial outlet, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VACUUM-TUBES-AMP...QQcmdZViewItem.

Scroll about 4/5 of the way down this link for a good close-up of the rings and their application. : )

I no longer own the 336i (I kept the Bada PH-12 as my stand-alone head amp), but I still house appreciative memories of it. The Darkvoice 337 is the only other amp I'd consider at this point, although I don't think it would better the Bada in most respects. : )


After $6 for shipping, these end up being the same price as Herbies.

I saw these as well..



and I also like this product from the same seller:


http://cgi.ebay.com/CD-TUBE-AMP-TUNE...QQcmdZViewItem
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20 View Post
After $6 for shipping, these end up being the same price as Herbies.

I saw these as well..
Nick,
TAKE NOTE: You get 8 of these (6SN7) teflon rings for the price of 1 Herbies Hal-O 27. The guy will mix-and-match, too, so you can get 6SN7 and 6AS7 damping rings in a single shipment.

With Herbies, you're looking at at least $15 for a single 6SN7 damper and about $25 for a single 6AS7 damper. (In both cases, we're talking about Herbies' least expensive Hal-O option.) IME, the Herbies Hal-O (45?) often loses its grip on the 6AS7 as well. : )

PatABurd
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Darkvoice 336i