The box arrived yesterday via DHL after being handed off from OOE and clearing customs. Everything was nicely packaged with each tube separately wrapped. First, the tubes. The smaller one is a 6N8P (81.6J) and the large being a 71P. Hmmm... I'll have to look-up what they are.
I purchased this amp with no preconceived notions of how it should sound. All that I know is that I seek the warm sound I remember when listening to my old tube stereo from when I was a kid. If that was accomplished, I'd be satisfied.
Considering that it only has about an hour of burn time, I can say several things initially:
1) I am surprised at how good it sounds overall using my reference setup, which is an iPod, LOD, Grado SR-80, and Donald Fagen "The Nightfly"
2) Starting with the highs; they were clean, no tizz in the cymbals, and I actually heard "new" sounds in the songs that I've never heard before.
3) Moving on to the mids; again clean without being overpowering or in my face.
4) Lastly, my old friend, the lows. Bass was tight, not muddy. I think that once it burns in a bit more, the low-end will get even tighter. At this stage, I am not disappointed.
5) Presence: The unit holds its own in allowing the listener to feel "sparkle" in the music. It never really sounded flat in any one area or the other.
6) Soundstage: Broad, dynamic, and pleasant. This amp did not fatigue me at all.
So, that's the noob-view lowdown after one hour. As it further burns-in, I'll post my comments.
Thanks for reading.