Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Is this amp any good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this amp any good?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Its from radioshack, and looks like a good price. I'm new to amps and all of this, would this be an ideal beginner amp, if I was to get Portapros? Thanks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1096
post #2 of 14
Frequency response: 150 - 10,000Hz.

heh. heh-heh.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
So should I assume that's bad
post #4 of 14
yah, that's pretty damn bad.

probably just another boostaroo(tm) with one phone out. designed only to make sound *louder*. it's not even from the same gene pool as any of the other amps discussed here.
post #5 of 14
Basically, the human ear can hear between 20hz (lows) to 20,000khz (highs), so the amp you are looking at leaves out alot of important information. Most headphones are capable of reproducing much more than what the amp will amplify. Just look at the freq. resp of the headphones you are interested in purchasing to get an idea of what I mean.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yea it seemed to good to be true, I can't seem to find any amps in that price range.
post #7 of 14
The Portapros don't really need an amp. I can tell the difference in sound while using my META42 now, but I couldn't really at first. Tighter bass, details stand out a bit more...but it's not a tremendous difference. You'd probably want to invest in some more hi-fi phones before worrying about an amp.
post #8 of 14
Ditto Rizumo.
post #9 of 14
Worse, that amp cannot accept any line source (since there is no aux input jack); its two built-in microphones are always enabled. So the only way that you'll even listen to music at all through that amp is if you play the source through speakers first. That's hardly private listening, IMHO.
post #10 of 14

Re: Is this amp any good?

Quote:
Originally posted by C4 Suke
Its from radioshack, and looks like a good price. I'm new to amps and all of this, would this be an ideal beginner amp, if I was to get Portapros? Thanks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=33%2D1096
LOL that amp sucks!
post #11 of 14
Ummmm.....I'm not going to comment on whether it sucks or not, but I would like to point out that I think you guys are sort of misunderstanding the application of this device. While it IS an amp, and it does drive headphones, it's NOT a "headphone amp" in the sense that anyone on head-fi typically uses the term. It has no tuner, no electronic input of any kind, just a built-in mic.

This appears to be a device for people who are trying to listen to, say, their overly quiet teacher in a giant lecture hall, or people who are trying to listen in to their roommate's whispered telephone call, or something along those lines (depending on whether you believe in the intrinsically good or evil nature of the human spirit...). I would presume that the 150-10000 Hz range is intentional, since you wouldn't want to amplify the LF hum of HVAC equipment, or shrill sounds above 10K. Although in the description, they mention listening to TV without bothering those around you, that seems like a bit of a stretch. I guess it would work, if you didn't have, say, a long headphone cord, or wireless headphones, or whatever, but it's not designed for hi-fi. We're basically talking about somethinghis designed for targeting the human voice.

Different goal...different specs. That's not to say that it might not suck for that application, since I haven't tried it (and have no desire to), but an AirHead it ain't.

-Nadim
post #12 of 14

Rat Shack amp

LOEL This is a quote from Ratshacks blurb
" Includes convenient neck lanyard"
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Nadim
Ummmm.....I'm not going to comment on whether it sucks or not, but I would like to point out that I think you guys are sort of misunderstanding the application of this device. While it IS an amp, and it does drive headphones, it's NOT a "headphone amp" in the sense that anyone on head-fi typically uses the term. It has no tuner, no electronic input of any kind, just a built-in mic.
yah, I noticed this after Eagle_Driver brought it up. I should learn to read I suppose . but anyhow, the consensus is that it ain't any good for our purposes one way or another.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by zzz
yah, I noticed this after Eagle_Driver brought it up. I should learn to read I suppose . but anyhow, the consensus is that it ain't any good for our purposes one way or another.
Still, that device does an okay job for what it's intended for: To boost the perceived volume of something like a college study lecture or a corporate board meeting to a hard-of-hearing person, especially if the lecturer or presenter is speaking more quietly than average.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Is this amp any good?