Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Which Country Makes the Best Beers in the World - Belgium, England, Germany, ....?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Country Makes the Best Beers in the World - Belgium, England, Germany, ....? - Page 4

post #46 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibiyabi View Post
Belgium. Anyone who claims to hate beer will be converted by a lambic beer of virtually any flavor.
no, not at all. fruits are for juice, not for beer
post #47 of 122
I don't know, it's hard to beat what the American Micro Breweries have been making over the last 5 years. Belgium has one of the largest assortment of beers, and most definitely has some of the best, but I think the sheer number of amazing beers made by the local American's brings them to the top of my list.

Dogfish 90 minute double IPA, Left Hand Brewery Imperial Stout, Ommegang Hennepin, the new Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner, etc. It's hard to top that stuff.

Belgium comes close... Canada has some amazing breweries, Unibroue comes to mind, Germany has good beer but nothing that stands out.
post #48 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibiyabi View Post
Belgium. Anyone who claims to hate beer will be converted by a lambic beer of virtually any flavor.
Depends on the lambic. Some of the tamer ones might win over a few non-beer drinkers, but any style that includes flavor descriptors such as "sweaty, leathery, horse-blanket, barnyard, and enteric", can definitely be a challenge for any beer drinker. The more commercial lambics (Lindeman's come to mind, especially the Framboise) don't really represent the style that well. Try a few unblended straight lambics and you may change your mind.
post #49 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibiyabi View Post
Belgium. Anyone who claims to hate beer will be converted by a lambic beer of virtually any flavor.
I love beer, however fruit beers do nothing except make me wince and then shortly afterwards, give me heartburn of the nth degree.
post #50 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1son View Post
I don't know, it's hard to beat what the American Micro Breweries have been making over the last 5 years. Belgium has one of the largest assortment of beers, and most definitely has some of the best, but I think the sheer number of amazing beers made by the local American's brings them to the top of my list.

Dogfish 90 minute double IPA, Left Hand Brewery Imperial Stout, Ommegang Hennepin, the new Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner, etc. It's hard to top that stuff.

Belgium comes close... Canada has some amazing breweries, Unibroue comes to mind, Germany has good beer but nothing that stands out.
I agree. There are just so many good American micros. I grabbed some Southern Tier Unearthly today and cannot wait to try it.
post #51 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
I agree. There are just so many good American micros. I grabbed some Southern Tier Unearthly today and cannot wait to try it.
Southern Tier Unearthly is awesome. If you like big, hoppy beers, you'll love this one. A bar near us has it on tap pretty much all the time, and I pretty much always have one when I'm there, being the hophead that I am.

The USA is really the only country that is being innovative in brewing. Everyone else just keeps making the same stuff they've always made. Not that many of those are not great beers, but if you want something new, the USA is the place to be. So many great US micros- Lagunitas, Dogfish Head, Southern Tier, Victory, Bells, Avery, the list goes on. Way too many to name, and many of them make incredible beers.
post #52 of 122
Yes, Belgian Beer can be pretty stunning.
Yes, German beer has variety, and can also be pretty stunning.

BUT, for PROPER beer, for REAL beer, England is the only real choice.

Yes, there may be innovation from American breweries, but innovation in making fizzy lager is only going to make better fizzy lager, and isn't going to come close to the magical and heady aroma that comes from the top of a perfectly poured pint of English bitter.

And the best thing about it is that it's good all year around. Who wants to be drinking ice-cold chilled lager on a frosty winter's evening? Not me.
post #53 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewtheking View Post
Yes, Belgian Beer can be pretty stunning.
Yes, German beer has variety, and can also be pretty stunning.

BUT, for PROPER beer, for REAL beer, England is the only real choice.

Yes, there may be innovation from American breweries, but innovation in making fizzy lager is only going to make better fizzy lager, and isn't going to come close to the magical and heady aroma that comes from the top of a perfectly poured pint of English bitter.

And the best thing about it is that it's good all year around. Who wants to be drinking ice-cold chilled lager on a frosty winter's evening? Not me.

I honestly doubt you've had USA Microbrews based on what you are saying. One of the greatest parts about the Microbrews out here is no matter where you go in the US, there are stunning brews available that you can't get from other places in the USA. Let alone abroad the world.
post #54 of 122
A grossly misinformed statement. Look on ratebeer.com, the US features quite well in the top 5.

edit: re stewtheking's post .
post #55 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy0 View Post
Southern Tier Unearthly is awesome. If you like big, hoppy beers, you'll love this one. A bar near us has it on tap pretty much all the time, and I pretty much always have one when I'm there, being the hophead that I am.

The USA is really the only country that is being innovative in brewing. Everyone else just keeps making the same stuff they've always made. Not that many of those are not great beers, but if you want something new, the USA is the place to be. So many great US micros- Lagunitas, Dogfish Head, Southern Tier, Victory, Bells, Avery, the list goes on. Way too many to name, and many of them make incredible beers.
I love a good hoppy beer. Huge stout fan too.
We have a good beer thread going at one of my other forums.

Sometimes I find myself thinking of what brew I need to get next. The assortment of US brews is incredible like you said. Something for everyone.
post #56 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewtheking View Post
Yes, Belgian Beer can be pretty stunning.
Yes, German beer has variety, and can also be pretty stunning.

BUT, for PROPER beer, for REAL beer, England is the only real choice.

Yes, there may be innovation from American breweries, but innovation in making fizzy lager is only going to make better fizzy lager, and isn't going to come close to the magical and heady aroma that comes from the top of a perfectly poured pint of English bitter.

And the best thing about it is that it's good all year around. Who wants to be drinking ice-cold chilled lager on a frosty winter's evening? Not me.
Wow, wrong on so many points. You really need to get out and try some US brews. You are missing out on some of the best in the world. (yes I have tried European and other area's brews too)
post #57 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewtheking View Post

Yes, there may be innovation from American breweries, but innovation in making fizzy lager is only going to make better fizzy lager,



For you, from one of our greatest microbreweries.
post #58 of 122
I have to vote USA. Being in Denver means I have a great variety of local beers, and I have tasted some great beers from all over the US. American craft breweries brew virtually any style available around the world, and have plenty of unique varieties that are exclusive to them.

Companies like Molson Coors, Anheiser-Busch, and SAB Miller bring shame to the image of American beer, and you have to look past those giants to find the good stuff. Some of my favorites are the locals like Boulder Beer Company and Odell. For a national brand with wide distribution, Boston Beer Company puts out some nice stuff. Rogue and Stone bring great stuff from the west coast. And there's so much more out there.
post #59 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovansmith View Post
I have to vote USA. Being in Denver means I have a great variety of local beers, and I have tasted some great beers from all over the US. American craft breweries brew virtually any style available around the world, and have plenty of unique varieties that are exclusive to them.

Companies like Molson Coors, Anheiser-Busch, and SAB Miller bring shame to the image of American beer, and you have to look past those giants to find the good stuff. Some of my favorites are the locals like Boulder Beer Company and Odell. For a national brand with wide distribution, Boston Beer Company puts out some nice stuff. Rogue and Stone bring great stuff from the west coast. And there's so much more out there.

I'm not going to pretend Miller Lite doesn't serve a good purpose for my drinking pleasures. I enjoy it for when it's called upon. But in general, yes, the image the big USA beer companies portray hurt our beer image around the world.

But honestly, who cares. We're the one's enjoying our Microbrew's. The rest of the world is happy with their world class beer production. In the end, we're all happy ;D
post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewtheking View Post
Yes, Belgian Beer can be pretty stunning.
Yes, German beer has variety, and can also be pretty stunning.

BUT, for PROPER beer, for REAL beer, England is the only real choice.

Yes, there may be innovation from American breweries, but innovation in making fizzy lager is only going to make better fizzy lager, and isn't going to come close to the magical and heady aroma that comes from the top of a perfectly poured pint of English bitter.

And the best thing about it is that it's good all year around. Who wants to be drinking ice-cold chilled lager on a frosty winter's evening? Not me.
Sorry, I have to disagree. The big breweries aren't the one doing the innovation, it's the micro breweries. Unforunately, due to the rigged American distribution system (the major breweries mostly own the distribution system), the rest of the world only sees the crap that the mega-breweries try to pass off as beer. Sure, Bud keeps coming out with different flavors of the same garbage, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't taste like anything. Too much corn and rice, not enough hops.

I cannot stand any of the American fizzy lagers, and when I talk about American beers, I mean the micros. They are the real innovators. The big breweries are about marketing, not taste.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Which Country Makes the Best Beers in the World - Belgium, England, Germany, ....?