Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones? - Page 7

post #91 of 147
"as long as their happy, whats the harm" ummm good point, but, the harm is that the lemmings think the ibuds are good! THIS IS TERRIBLE
post #92 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco82 View Post
"as long as their happy, whats the harm" ummm good point, but, the harm is that the lemmings think the ibuds are good! THIS IS TERRIBLE
And adding the fact that anyone with normal hearing should be able to tell the difference between ibuds and anything over 10 bucks..
post #93 of 147
I just don't know how to explain anymore to some of my friends or people that finds it so odd to spend over $100 on headphones. To me, after being here in Head-Fi for a while, headphones costing $100 to $200 is cheap. Yea, I said it. But they don't think so. They thought I totally lost it when I said I plan on spending $500+ on a new pair. They even find it odd that my headphones are hooked up to an amp, a tube amp. They think my amp is vintage material because of the tubes.

Ugh, I just don't know how to explain it well to them. They do care for sound quality, but these are the same people that loves the iBuds, or SkullCandy, or let alone, Bose, and think those are "great" sound quality. Being a high end headphone audiophile, and being the ONLY high end audiophile on my block, is tough!

PS: Since my friends kinda freak out when I tell them the price of my fairly cheap headphones ($120 ATH-AD700), I wonder how they'll react if I tell them about the $1,000+ UE11...(not that I have them hehe)
post #94 of 147
I walked into a Bose store in a Mall by me wearing my Grado SR80,Zune,and C&C Box+ one time. The guy there asked me why i had an old army headphone with my set up and thought it was stupid. I explained what a Grado was,and he laughed at me for being such a sucker and paying $100 for those, when for $50 more i can have real headphones from Bose.
He wanted to show me what the Bose sounded like and proceeded to hand them to me,but i told him to dissconnect them from the Bose sound-enhanced set up he had it connected to and use my own stuff to compare. They sounded like hollow crap compared to my SR80. He said it was because im running garbage and its all EQ'd for my junk,and if i had an accurate and balanced system,the Bose would shine...lol.

Ive had similar arguements in a few audio stores.

I really dont think a Zune with the C&C Mini Crystal Interconnect and a C&C Box+ sounds like crap. Yes there is better, but its certainly decent.
post #95 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag0n View Post
I walked into a Bose store in a Mall by me wearing my Grado SR80,Zune,and C&C Box+ one time. The guy there asked me why i had an old army headphone with my set up and thought it was stupid. I explained what a Grado was,and he laughed at me for being such a sucker and paying $100 for those, when for $50 more i can have real headphones from Bose.
He wanted to show me what the Bose sounded like and proceeded to hand them to me,but i told him to dissconnect them from the Bose sound-enhanced set up he had it connected to and use my own stuff to compare. They sounded like hollow crap compared to my SR80. He said it was because im running garbage and its all EQ'd for my junk,and if i had an accurate and balanced system,the Bose would shine...lol.

Ive had similar arguements in a few audio stores.

I really dont think a Zune with the C&C Mini Crystal Interconnect and a C&C Box+ sounds like crap. Yes there is better, but its certainly decent.
Lol. I've always wanted to bring my HD580s with my Corda Move and Ipod into a Blose or apple store.
post #96 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag0n View Post
...

He wanted to show me what the Bose sounded like and proceeded to hand them to me,but i told him to disconnect them from the Bose sound-enhanced set up he had it connected to and use my own stuff to compare. They sounded like hollow crap compared to my SR80. He said it was because im running garbage and its all EQ'd for my junk,and if i had an accurate and balanced system,the Bose would shine...lol.
...
I'm surprised you let a filthy bose plug get inserted into your amplifier.

Which bose model did you try out by the way?
post #97 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
I personally think I'm crazy for spending so much money on headphones, let alone what other people think.

Everyone has their hobbies. I realize spending large amounts of money on headphones is/was an extravagance. It's not for everyone, and I don't expect others who aren't into it to understand, just as I don't understand how others spend money on their hobbies.

I personally consider the "OMG, you're crazy" stance to be a defense mechanism. The individual doesn't comprehend the reasoning behind it, but rather than taking the time to learn why, s/he just dismisses it as madness. This reaction prevents the individual from feeling ignorant and/or inferior. Labeling something you don't understand as insanity puts you in a position of superiority or "enlightenment."

I'm not saying it's right or wrong (we're all guilty of this behavior), just that it's an interesting and common behavioral phenomenon.

Our reaction of ridicule and disdain for those who use iBuds or Bose is similar. People just choose to focus their time and energies on different things. As long as they're happy, what's the harm?
Heh, this is just what I think, as well.

I recently converted one of my friends to better sound quality - he upgraded his iBuds to those V-Sonic canalphones that have been kicking around for a while, at a cost of $75AUD, so... about $60 US. Now that he's converted, he gets exactly what I do: "You spent 75 bucks on headphones?! Why the hell would you do that?!"

Then I neglect to tell them that I'm planning to buy Livewires soon.
post #98 of 147
A friend I was with yesterday just can't understand why I spend this much money on headphones. However, while we're talking about this, we're on the way to Best Buy to buy a $300 head unit for his truck. I guess because more people spend money on head units then it's ok? But spending money on headphones..... that's just crazy.
post #99 of 147
I just don't tell anyone. My wife, my closest confidant, has no idea. What price is ecstasy? Priceless!
post #100 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken36 View Post
I just don't tell anyone. My wife, my closest confidant, has no idea. What price is ecstasy? Priceless!
I need to start doing that, I talked to her about the offers I was getting for the HD650s and eventually she said to just buy them so I would shut up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautikal View Post
Lol. I've always wanted to bring my HD580s with my Corda Move and Ipod into a Blose or apple store.
I believe there was a poster who brought his move + headphone, if i'm not mistaken, into an apple store to let ppl try it out. Needless to say, quite a few new headfiers were made that day
post #101 of 147
blose.
post #102 of 147
They may think I'm crazy, but I think they're stupid for not spending that much.
post #103 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydragon View Post
I'm surprised you let a filthy bose plug get inserted into your amplifier.

Which bose model did you try out by the way?
OMG! I didnt even think of that! I hope my stuff is ok,,,it seems to be!
I forget...i hate Bose and dont keep up on it. I know what they look like...lol.
Flimsy plastic things.
post #104 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by UezeU View Post
They may think I'm crazy, but I think they're stupid for not spending that much.
Not everyone is serious about music, us on the other hand...spend like crazy
post #105 of 147
LOL yes... all my friends think I'm a freak... but I just met someone who actually uses E4Cs in my school and he actually agrees with me LOL

oh and definetely my parents think I'm crazy for spending even over $10 for a pair of headphones...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Do you often find people think you're crazy spending over $20 on headphones?