or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 (closed alternative?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 600 (closed alternative?)

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,
I am quite new to head-fi (as you can see from my postcount/join_date), and have researched quite a bit. I have decided on starting my own headphone obsession with a Sennheiser HD 600, which I would fully enjoy except for the fact that they are open. I dislike the idea of someone being able to hear what I'm listening to (these won't be portable, but nonetheless). I don't need any isolation, but are there any headphones that match up with these, except the open part ? Same price range would be nice.

Thanks guys,
MaDman

P.S. I have already accepted the fact that I am on head-fi, and that I will be spending a large amount of money So you don't have to say sorry for my wallet


EDIT:: Or am I thinking about this too much? Do they leak a lot less than I think so?
post #2 of 21
Yes, I believe you are thinking too much... I don't believe the HD600 leak that much. (if they are similar to the HD650)

I had a HD650.. and with my listening level, I can barely heard the music when I put them around my neck. Not to mention people from few feet away.

But those are my condition... not sure what volume are you used to .... but i think as long as you keep your listening volume under the ear drum breaking level, you will be fine
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlayerZX View Post
Yes, I believe you are thinking too much... I don't believe the HD600 leak that much. (if they are similar to the HD650)

I had a HD650.. and with my listening level, I can barely heard the music when I put them around my neck. Not to mention people from few feet away.

But those are my condition... not sure what volume are you used to .... but i think as long as you keep your listening volume under the ear drum breaking level, you will be fine
I listen at quite low levels. So, that is good news then I will not have to find a new candidate headphone.

Does everyone else feel the same way?

Thanks again
post #4 of 21
I have grados which are open, and I have used the sennheiser hd600 extensively. I thing all open phones leak as much as it seems on paper. IMO the sennheisers leak less the ngrados. You will be fine with its leakiness. But on a related subject, you really need a good amp to bring out the potential in the HD600s.
post #5 of 21
My HD580 which are very similar to the HD600 leak some sound but I don't think it would bother anyone if your listening level is not too loud and they're not sitting right next to you.

It would be quite difficult if not impossible to find a closed phone for a similar price that would match the quality of a HD580 or HD600 imo.
Anyway I think they are great a great choice to get into headphones and if your lucky they may be the last pair you buy!

Next of course you HAVE to buy a nice tube amp for them. The HD600/580's love tubes!
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
My HD580 which are very similar to the HD600 leak some sound but I don't think it would bother anyone if your listening level is not too loud and they're not sitting right next to you.

It would be quite difficult if not impossible to find a closed phone for a similar price that would match the quality of a HD580 or HD600 imo.
Anyway I think they are great a great choice to get into headphones and if your lucky they may be the last pair you buy!

Next of course you HAVE to buy a nice tube amp for them. The HD600/580's love tubes!
Of course I am getting an amplifier

Thanks again guys!!

P.S. Is there some reason it is "hard" to make closed headphones?
post #7 of 21
Well, some of the qualities of a good headphone are its soundstage, placement and transparency, which basically amount to making a headphone sound as if the music is outside the headphones in the room and not locked inside your head. This is much easier with an open design than with a closed one.
post #8 of 21

Just A Guess...

Based on how similar the ATH AD2000s are to the HD600's... I would guess the closed ATH W5000s would be very similar, though better, and more expensive. You might also find the closed W1000's to be similar, and much less expensive.
post #9 of 21
Woody your 600s.
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
Woody your 600s.

What is "woody"-ing? How do I do it?
post #11 of 21
www.headphile.com


anyways, i think the sound leakage shouldnt be a problem, sound leaking IN should be the problem =]
post #12 of 21
The K340 can be had for less than a new HD600 if you look around and don't rush, and depending on the quality of your pair, you could end up with something that is substantially better than the HD600. My pair pretty much spanks the HD600 in most respects, though it's not quite as neutral or correct tonally or tembrally.

However, I don't think that the K340 is an especially good place to start. The chassis will most likely have deteriorated over the years and will need repair. On top of that, not only will you need an amp to drive them, you will need a specific amp that will synergize well. Different pairs have different tonal balance, so you will need to mix and match amps based on the pair you have at hand.

So, for a starter, the HD600 will do very nicely.

If you are already committed to laying out lots of money to making it work, pair it up with a Ray Samuels Raptor. This is an astonishing combo for most genres as long as you stay away from the really fast, forward, dense stuff (like death metal), but for that you wouldn't want to use an HD600 anyway.

I don't see any circumstances under which sound leakage would be a real problem. Unless you are in a dorm and have a roommate trying to sleep 10 feet away from you while you're blasting music...
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
The K340 can be had for less than a new HD600 if you look around and don't rush, and depending on the quality of your pair, you could end up with something that is substantially better than the HD600. My pair pretty much spanks the HD600 in most respects, though it's not quite as neutral or correct tonally or tembrally.

However, I don't think that the K340 is an especially good place to start. The chassis will most likely have deteriorated over the years and will need repair. On top of that, not only will you need an amp to drive them, you will need a specific amp that will synergize well. Different pairs have different tonal balance, so you will need to mix and match amps based on the pair you have at hand.

So, for a starter, the HD600 will do very nicely.

If you are already committed to laying out lots of money to making it work, pair it up with a Ray Samuels Raptor. This is an astonishing combo for most genres as long as you stay away from the really fast, forward, dense stuff (like death metal), but for that you wouldn't want to use an HD600 anyway.

I don't see any circumstances under which sound leakage would be a real problem. Unless you are in a dorm and have a roommate trying to sleep 10 feet away from you while you're blasting music...

Whoa Dude! The 340 spanks the 600? You've got custom Westones IIRC. Got to get some 340s. Sorry for my wallet.
post #14 of 21
I also own the HD600 and am extremely picky on alternatives. I love just everything about the HD600 and when listening a longer time to the more expensive HD800, switching back to the HD600 did feel reassuring that I still enjoy the HD600 just as much, despite the superiority of the HD800 in many aspects.
But, one thing I don't like about the HD600, and only one, is my wife complaining about the leaking sound when I listen. So, despite my appreciation of the HD600, I have listened to many, many alternatives.
And most alternatives I don't like. Too much fatigue, too narrow soundstage, too much bass, lack of detail, nothing seems to come close to the HD600 and my taste.
Except just now- a shop I went to had the 300 ohm German Maestro GMP 450 PRO. And to my surprise, this was a headphone I really enjoyed. Obviously the sound stage is slightly narrower than the HD600, but it was impressive for closed cans and I really enjoy it's sound. As close as it gets for a closed can to the HD600. And, comfortable to wear, too, fully circumaural and light weight. I would definitively recommend the German Maestro as an alternative to the HD600 and, surprisingly, it even sounds good without a headphone amp. At home I'd use it with my tube amp, but when traveling, this is a nice convenience too!
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradofan2 View Post

Based on how similar the ATH AD2000s are to the HD600's... I would guess the closed ATH W5000s would be very similar, though better, and more expensive. You might also find the closed W1000's to be similar, and much less expensive.


Old post I know but wow?!?!

 

I've never seen a recommendation based on a guess due to hearing a completely different model before :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 600 (closed alternative?)