or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Reference CD Material for Amp and Headphone Listening
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reference CD Material for Amp and Headphone Listening - Page 4

post #46 of 78
I have to agree that this is a fine sounding CD which I will buy without any doubt, thanks for the information.

On the other hand a lot of FIM titles are sepctacular sounding but the music is not always first choice. I never understood the affection for "Jazz at the Pawnshop" which sounds great but is one of the more boring musical experiences. Another company who does incredible recordings is Stockfisch. It is unbelievable how good a simple acoustic recording can sound.
post #47 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.morton View Post
I never understood the affection for "Jazz at the Pawnshop" which sounds great but is one of the more boring musical experiences. Another company who does incredible recordings is Stockfisch. It is unbelievable how good a simple acoustic recording can sound.
There are different versions of the "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the anniversary edition is, IMHO, the best and lively iternation. You can hear noticeable difference between the versions.

And yes, Stockfisch is one of my favorite labels. Highly recommended.

F. Lo
post #48 of 78
I found that the "Acoustics Reference CD with Crystal Cables" by STS is a very good for headphiles. The records inside sounds so great under good quality amp+headphone.
post #49 of 78
This sounds better than vinyl without the noise. Very impressive. A definate test CD. Best dynamics I've ever heard from a redbook cd. 100Khz & 24 bit makes me want to shoot someone for messing up all my cds. They only gave me part of the music.

Thanks again for the find.
post #50 of 78
Just finished listening to mine. Remarkable. Although I have no problem with the selection of material, wouldn't it be nice if this technology spread to a diversity of musical genres. I'll be bringing it to the October 27th FL meet for all to hear. I do plan on using it to test out gear. Thanks again for the recommendation.
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
Just finished listening to mine. Remarkable. Although I have no problem with the selection of material, wouldn't it be nice if this technology spread to a diversity of musical genres. I'll be bringing it to the October 27th FL meet for all to hear. I do plan on using it to test out gear. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Here is a review of the FIM K2-HD format by Stereomojo:

http://www.stereomojo.com/K2%20HD/K2HDReview.htm

In their conclusion, they surmise that this will be a niche format:

Quote:
Like XRCD, it will most likely never make it to LA, NY or the average new CD release. It will probably be relegated to the audiophile community - a niche product used mostly in reissuing yet another round of Miles Davis releases. And that's regretable.
post #52 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
Just finished listening to mine. Remarkable. Although I have no problem with the selection of material, wouldn't it be nice if this technology spread to a diversity of musical genres. I'll be bringing it to the October 27th FL meet for all to hear. I do plan on using it to test out gear. Thanks again for the recommendation.
I think there may be license fee involved so the K2 HD will unlikely become popular, and remain as the best kept secret amongst audiophiles

F. Lo
post #53 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
This sounds better than vinyl without the noise. Very impressive. A definate test CD. Best dynamics I've ever heard from a redbook cd. 100Khz & 24 bit makes me want to shoot someone for messing up all my cds. They only gave me part of the music.

Thanks again for the find.
This brings up the question of what is the best source.

To me, best source material = the combination of the best performer + best recording engineer (who also ensure the best instruments are used in recording) + best recording location(s) + best mastering engineer + best media reproduction technology.

Despite the glory of K2 HD technology, we still need the rest to come together, and I must say, it is like treasure hunting to locating for a reference source material. This CD is just almost perfect.

F. Lo
post #54 of 78
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManAtWork View Post
I found that the "Acoustics Reference CD with Crystal Cables" by STS is a very good for headphiles. The records inside sounds so great under good quality amp+headphone.
STS Digital is my favorite label. Actually STS Digital produces the annual Marantz Demo CD for quite some years and have now become a collector's item.

F. Lo
post #55 of 78
The K2 HD disk arrived today. I'm impressed with the lightning fast shipping from FIM as I ordered it Friday evening and received it on Tuesday. After listening tonight, all I can say it that this is amazing sound quality! My system has never sounded so good even though I have other audiophile disks. The K2 HD process is a real winner. I will most definately be ordering more of these disks as they become available. Highly Recommended.
post #56 of 78
I just wrote a quick post on my web journal about K2 HD, and I haven't even heard K2 HD yet. Bring on the online shopping tomorrow and plastic cash-rash!
post #57 of 78

Thanks, fkclo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebar View Post
The K2 HD disk arrived today. I'm impressed with the lightning fast shipping from FIM...After listening tonight, all I can say it that this is amazing sound quality! My system has never sounded so good even though I have other audiophile disks. The K2 HD process is a real winner. I will most definately be ordering more of these disks as they become available. Highly Recommended.
X2

Thanks again to fkclo for this excellent recommendation.
post #58 of 78
Agreed. Thanks for the awesome recommendation. I just popped this cd into my player and was amazed by how it sounds. Track 2 is my favorite so far.
post #59 of 78
Great recommendation!

I tried it both on my speaker and headphone rig and unfortunately, the speaker set-up blew the headphone rig away.

The depth/width of the soundstage was awesome and the bass response on tracks 1 and 5 were quite stunning.
post #60 of 78
Thanks for tip, Fkclo. I picked up a copy at HK Records in Pacific Place (last copy they had). Sounds fantastic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Reference CD Material for Amp and Headphone Listening