Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › how loud is 90db???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how loud is 90db??? - Page 2

post #16 of 46
I don't think that if there is a mention of 90DB on the headphone box it automatically mean that when your ipod is full out you are getting 90DB. Ipod can be really loud with some lower impedance headphones while being mice quiet with high impedances once.
post #17 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luidge View Post
I don't think that if there is a mention of 90DB on the headphone box it automatically mean that when your ipod is full out you are getting 90DB. Ipod can be really loud with some lower impedance headphones while being mice quiet with high impedances once.
its true what you say,i may well not be gettin 90db, but did you know that an unrestricted ipod can indeed reach levels of 115db. which makes me wonder...if im playin the ipod full out why are they so quiet, yet rated 90db earphones.

i mean my favourite se530 are rated at 119db/mw and at full volume they are staggering, but these 90db heap of rubbish are sooo sooo much quieter, and im just stunned because if they are reaching 90db and its that quiet its fairly worrying
post #18 of 46
Thread Starter 
also remember i am going on about the psp earphones so the impedance should not be high or low really but about average, im not sure what they are but they should be 16 ohm or 32 ohm
post #19 of 46
It depends on the headphones. The headphones may reach 90 dB on the psp, but not on the ipod, while more sensitive headphones will exceed 90dB on the ipod.
80 dB is when you have to raise your voice.
Opening a soda can is 85 dB.
I think the level at which many people listen to music is far to loud.

Also note that the decibel scale is logaramithic.

so 90dB is infact a LOT less than 100dB.
post #20 of 46
So as I was looking at this info, I saw info about rock concerts being 110 dB. Why assault hearing? I am taking my kids to a concert this weekend and I know that they have more sensitive hearing than me - I am getting them earplugs.
post #21 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by underclocker View Post
So as I was looking at this info, I saw info about rock concerts being 110 dB. Why assault hearing? I am taking my kids to a concert this weekend and I know that they have more sensitive hearing than me - I am getting them earplugs.
yeh it is a fact that rock concerts are very loud, i would advise earplugs from etymotic research you may be very impressed with them, some people will think you look a plonka but you will walk out with better hearing than them on that night
post #22 of 46
wear earplugs to concerts. Always. If they're too much and you can't hear, you can take them out. No one on stage will be there without earplugs, and the speakers aren't facing them, as a rule.
post #23 of 46
A plonka? I did a google image search. Do you mean like this?
post #24 of 46
The boss at a pub I used to work in slated me for having ear-plugs.

Well not exactly slated, more like 'You only need ear-plugs if your playing with a full guitar stack'. Sarcastic bastard.

When it comes to your hearing you can't be too careful, Etymotic do some musician earplugs called ER-20 if you ever want to attenuate noise without colouring it.

Realistically though, if you are infact worrying about your hearing, chances are your not ruining it. It's those idiots who you can hear 5 seats away on the bus that are.

Plonka is british slang for 'idiot'.
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterDX View Post
Are you retarded? 100db is 10 times as loud as 90db, think of 90db as a trailer truck coming over at 100km.hr from 10 meters away, thats pretty loud
Right, 10dB means 10 times the power, but perceived difference is maybe about twice (or half if going down) as loud.
post #26 of 46
would wearing normal IEMs be okay?
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tot View Post
Right, 10dB means 10 times the power, but perceived difference is maybe about twice (or half if going down) as loud.
Are you sure it's not 6db or 12db is equal to a doubling of volume? I'm sure they usually have controls on mixing desks in multiples of 6.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by st4r0c3an View Post
would wearing normal IEMs be okay?
For a concert. They'd certainly block out half the sound, but it would be good sound they would block.

If you have no other option sure, but they would totally muffle the performance. Musicians earplugs are designed specifically to prevent noise-related hearing loss and still allow you to monitor the music. They are the best option if you can find some in time.
post #29 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by underclocker View Post
A plonka? I did a google image search. Do you mean like this?
no i didnt mean like that, i apologise, its a very english term meaning pretty much what the bloke below is saying, it usually means you look a bit silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash440 View Post
The boss at a pub I used to work in slated me for having ear-plugs.

Well not exactly slated, more like 'You only need ear-plugs if your playing with a full guitar stack'. Sarcastic bastard.

When it comes to your hearing you can't be too careful, Etymotic do some musician earplugs called ER-20 if you ever want to attenuate noise without colouring it.

Realistically though, if you are infact worrying about your hearing, chances are your not ruining it. It's those idiots who you can hear 5 seats away on the bus that are.

Plonka is british slang for 'idiot'.
yeh i didnt mean you look like a plonka, i meant you may be seen as one but like you...i said its the others that dont take that care that are plonkas lol
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash440 View Post
Are you sure it's not 6db or 12db is equal to a doubling of volume? I'm sure they usually have controls on mixing desks in multiples of 6.
6dB is the difference is the signal level is doubled. That means that power is quadrupled.

If you double the power, the increase is 3dB and the signal level increases by sqrt(2).

The perceived difference is a bit subjective though, but I always use 10dB as double as loud.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › how loud is 90db???