or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › L3000 - Way Overrated?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

L3000 - Way Overrated? - Page 2

post #16 of 160
For me, because of the demand/price scale, I am not willing to spend three times as much to upgrade my system (compared to the W5000's). I am VERY curious about the L3000's but the expense doesn't seem worth it to me. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who's first rig was nearly $4000. I agree that performance vs. price the L3000's are probably overrated...but the limited quantities created that. I would suspect that they are indeed a special set of cans and if they were currently in production at a more reasonable price I would own a pair (and not sell them within 6 months) .
post #17 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenithon View Post
IMO though it would probably outperform any of the modern $1k-$1.5k contenders, which is about what I think they are actually worth.
You mean GS1000 territory? I think the L3000 is quite a step above that in all respects (sound, built, etc) IMO.
post #18 of 160
When I began this headphone journey again after a 10 year hiatus, I was 'unfortunate' enough to hear tkam's L3000 through his monoblocs and modded Philips player.

I thought I just had to have the L3000's, which at the time were $1800-2100 in the market.

Then I realized I'd have to upgrade my good, but mid line source and amp to match tkam's. Well, that would have been another $5000 give or take.

I suspect a couple of things are working here, most which have been mentioned. Need for cash, system synergy, the fact that items sell in waves.

For me the L3000's are unique, and if I come across a pair at a reasonable price, which for me is around $2000 I'd pick them up, especially now that I have a system that would do them justice. But I definitely don't think they are being sold now because they are a disappointment, sound wise, other than maybe because of synergistic issues.

They are no doubt an excellent sounding phone, with a unique ability to portray rock like no other phone. BTW, I did notice the 'thinness' of certain female vocals, but only on certain tracks.
post #19 of 160
I know at least 2 people have told me that they bought them with the intention of selling them after a few months, just to experience them. If you have the capital and get them at a good price there is no cost involved, and you own them for a few months...
post #20 of 160
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
I know at least 2 people have told me that they bought them with the intention of selling them after a few months, just to experience them. If you have the capital and get them at a good price there is no cost involved, and you own them for a few months...
post #21 of 160
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pak View Post
For my use they're perfect and I highly doubt I'll sell them even with an expensive speaker purchase on the way.
i may be mistaken, but didn't you try to sell your pair as well. please correct me if i'm wrong.
post #22 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcoheda View Post
i may be mistaken, but didn't you try to sell your pair as well. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Never, you can search my FS forum posts.

If I did try and sell them, I'd put up an IC pretend like I didn't want to let them go and claim I needed the money for food! (it would become an epic thread, with over 4000 views)
post #23 of 160
Quote:
You mean GS1000 territory? I think the L3000 is quite a step above that in all respects (sound, built, etc) IMO.
I agree....but the GS1000 is well under $1k-$1.5k IIRC? It brings back a point I started a thread about a while ago - the gap in the current production cans (and older cans too) between $800-$900 and $2000+. The only one which really fits in there is the Edition 9.
post #24 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcmanus View Post
I think they're priced about right, and I say that based on having owned many upper level headphones (and still owning most of them). In fact, when you consider the wonderful fit and finish on top of the excellent sonics, they might even be a relative bargain (as compared to the Qualia, R10, HE90 and the like).

Like others have said, people buy and sell headphones for all sorts of reasons. To each is own in terms of sonic tastes and preferences, but it even goes beyond that when you're talking about the more high priced items. A lot of people need to sell them to fund other things, not always replacement audio purchases.

I haven't noticed the rush of L3000 sales that you're referring to but I suspect it's not that many (at least I wouldn't think it was 20 this year alone). It would be interesting to do a search in the FS subforum to see how prevalent the L3000 sales have actaully been.

But that's sort of besides the point really. Even when we see a rash of sales of something like the L3000 or PS1 or Omega II for a 6 month period, it may well be followed with a completely dead 6 month period where it's really hard to find an item like this in the used market. Thus, I think people here tend to make too much out these mini and micro trends they're observing.

I agree with Wayne on this. The L3000 has great sound and build quality and pretty much justified the asking price.
post #25 of 160
The issue here of course is that, like all headphones, the ideal sound varies widely from one individual to the next, and the L3000 is sufficiently idiosyncratic in its sound that people will react very differently to it. I expected to LOVE the L3000, and while I liked it, I immediately came away from my listening experience with it very glad I had not actually paid $2K+ to hear one. I liked it fine, but I significantly prefer the sound of the $500 Denon D5000 over the L3000. But again, that is just me.

There is no doubt that from a build quality perspective, the L3000 justifies its price.
post #26 of 160
Quote:
I liked it fine, but I significantly prefer the sound of the $500 Denon D5000 over the L3000. But again, that is just me.

There is no doubt that from a build quality perspective, the L3000 justifies its price.
Not sure if you heard them on the same system or not. But when I heard the L3000 side by side the D5000, it was pretty easy pick for me. I feel that the D5000 is less refined in every way to the L3000. The bass on the D5000 is definitely too strong and has too much emphasis.
post #27 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
Not sure if you heard them on the same system or not. But when I heard the L3000 side by side the D5000, it was pretty easy pick for me. I feel that the D5000 is less refined in every way to the L3000. The bass on the D5000 is definitely too strong and has too much emphasis.
You're saying that completely missed the point of my post - the one part you did not quote You describe ways in which YOU prefer the sonic signature of the L3000 over the Denon. That is great - for you. For me, it didn't work out that way (and yes, I heard them on the same system).

The point is the L3000's really are not neutral, as terrific as they are. They have a distinct flavor. Some people will love it, some will not.
post #28 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
You're saying that completely missed the point of my post - the one part you did not quote You describe ways in which YOU prefer the sonic signature of the L3000 over the Denon. That is great - for you. For me, it didn't work out that way (and yes, I heard them on the same system).

The point is the L3000's really are not neutral, as terrific as they are. They have a distinct flavor. Some people will love it, some will not.

Don't worry about it, we all hear differently anyway, but I was trying to figure out what kindda of sound do you like. If you think the D5000 sounds good to you, you should check out the Ed.9.
post #29 of 160
Interesting...other people have also suggested I might like the Edition 9. I might have to try a pair

And I am in no way trying to say the L3000 are not great - they are.
post #30 of 160
There are several headphones I prefer more than the L3000, including the W5000, but despite this I consider the L3000 worth its price.

I haven't heard another headphone that is similar to the L3000's unique sound. The closest might be the W11JPN. Playing some types of fast-paced music, the L3000 can be unbeatable for overall sound quality, refinement, enjoyability, excitement, fun-factor, immersiveness, etc.

I would agree that the L3000 isn't neutral-sounding, but that's not necessarily a negative. The K701 is more neutral-sounding to me, but the K701 can also seem bland and lacking in emotion compared to the L3000. The L3000 has plenty of "soul" and I think that's a good thing.

I usually use the L3000 with the AT-HA5000 amplifier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › L3000 - Way Overrated?